Walther Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Folks, I have 2 P99s, a 9mm and a 40cal. The recoil spring assembly is straight when installed under the barrel in the 9mm P99, but bowed when installed in the 40cal P99. Is it normal to be bowed in the 40? I called Walther and they sent me a new assembly which also bows when installed in the 40. Could you good folks with 40's let me know if your assembly is bowed prior to putting the slide on the frame?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Honestly, I dont know if its normal or not, but my P99 .40 recoil spring has always had a slight bow in it. Its a first generation P99 made in 2001, I have never had any problems with it. I have lost count but it has at least a couple of thousand rounds thru it and it has always performed perfectly. I have never hat to change the spring. As I recall, I noticed it when I first got it and disassembled it, I kept an eye on the inside of the slide when I cleaned it after visits to the range, to see if it had any wear marks from the spring possibly touching the slide, No marks.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
The bow in the guide rod and recoil spring are of little or no consequence. It will not effect the function of the pistol. Bowed assemblies are not at all uncommon. Be thankful, now you have two.;)

·
Registered
44 Posts
Ive noticed in my research that the P99AS spring is straight, while the P99QA spring is bowed.

Ive also noticed that the bowed spring in my QA made a gritty, sticky feeling in my trigger.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
bowed recoil spring assy

Thanks for all the replies, I guess the bow in the spring is normal!

·
Registered
71 Posts
Yep, bow in the plastic guide rod is normal. I have a P99 QA in .40
Id like to get a metal one, or possibly a Laser guide rod, but alas, I havnt seen one on the market .:(

·
Registered
923 Posts
I contacted Smith/Walther and was told by a tech that the bow is completely normal and not to giveit a second thought.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
My .40 recoil rod was bent when the slide was off of the frame too. It was really of no consequence, but I replaced it with a metal (Sprinco) rod anyway.

·
Registered
44 Posts
*Edit my posts above lol!*

I was thinking we were all talking about the firing pin spring assembly. DOH! :eek:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts