Walther Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After looking for a long time my girlfriend with small hands decided she likes the feel of the P99 and a 1911. Recoil is not a problem but she hasn't had a chance to handle the P99 in 45 cal onlt 40, Is there any diffrence in the size of the grip? If so how much etc....

·
Registered
4,339 Posts
Walther doesn't make a 45 - Only S&W makes one - the SW99. Pretty much same gun...

I haven't held the SW99 in 45, though. When it comes to 45's, I prefer a 1911...

·
Registered
189 Posts
ekaphoto,
I happen to have the three in question and the grip size IS different between them. The P99 in .40 feels "slim" compared to the SW99 in .45 ACP, and the 1911 form is "slimmer" still. With smaller hands you would absolutely want to put a hand around the SW99 in .45 before buying it. It is longer in length top to bottom than the P99, closer to the 1911, and "wider" front to back than the P99 too.

The SW99 in .45 does come with *one* additional backstrap to help bring it in a little, but I would be surprised if it was enough for a small handed shooter.

For me, the SW99 in .45 is a very nice blend. It has the familiar controls of the P99, but with the larger caliber that I enjoy with the 1911. While I like the "classic" nature of the single action 1911, I *really* like the "true" double action of the P99/SW99 and the lack of an exposed hammer by way of the striker.

I'd suggest the P99 (AS style) in .40 (esp since you mention recoil is not a problem for her) with perhaps the smaller backstrap, and for that matter in the "olive drab" config from CDNN Investments in Texas if you can't find one local for a good price. (You really have to see the green to appreciate it.)

BTW, the S&W site has a known typo... the capacity of the SW99 in .45 is 9 in the magazine + 1 in the chamber... and note that the SW99 (true DA) has been dropped for the SW990L (DA Only).

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks. I figured the 45 was bigger than the 40. As for the 1911 that fits her as well, she just hasn't really made up he mind.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts