Walther Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Beretta 40 that if I put in a 9mm barrel and use 9mm mags is 99.9% reliable even though the breach face and extractor and ejector are 40 parts.
Anyone do the same with a 40 P99 and if so, how reliable is it?
If I sell it, even though it is a mint 1 st gen all German Interarms import, I'll take a bath as 40s just dont sell. Id rather convert it over...

Thoughts?

·
Registered
343 Posts
My two cents is that in the long run, selling for whatever you can get and buying a 9mm is probably worth it. You know you'll get a reliable 9mm P99 that way, and if you don't Walther will make it reliable. With a drop in barrel, you're on your own if things don't work. I had an XDm with a 40-9mm conversion that was OK, but it was picky about ammo and never 100% reliable.

Also, if you ever decide you want a holster, the .40 P99 with its different slide is even harder to find holsters for than the 9mm.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Also, if you ever decide you want a holster, the .40 P99 with its different slide is even harder to find holsters for than the 9mm.
Now I need to find some pics...I never noticed the 40 slide being different.

I may just swap out ejector/extractor and barrel for a 9mm one and see how she roles...

·
Registered
6,756 Posts
It is also a heavier slide, made heavier on purpose by Walther so that both the 9mm and .40 models could use the same recoil spring. At best, a .40 converted to 9mm could be considered reliable enough for a range gun. Personally, I wouldn't trust it for anything else.

The Beretta 92 design allows the cartridge to feed straight into the chamber, and from what I understand, will extract and eject cartridges even without an extractor. If this is the case, that design would probably be a better base platform for a caliber conversion. It is also dangerous if the extractor loses hold on the rim of the cartridge when manually ejecting a live round from the chamber. If the primer manages to impact the ejector, the casing can explode sending brass everywhere. On any pistol (but especially on a pistol with a caliber conversion), you should not put your hand over the ejection port to "catch" a live round while ejecting it for this very reason.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Haven't noticed it, because most of the pics are just regurgitated stock photos. And a lot of the places doing it, don't realize the difference. (I mean, web site guys aren't always gun guys, right?)
This is not mine, but here's a thread with a good pic of what the all flat 40 slide looks like. It's not bad. But not as good looking as the cuts on the 9mm slide. Also yeah, fitted holsters could be a challenge.
https://www.waltherforums.com/forum/p99/43122-walther-p99-40-cal.html

1 - 5 of 5 Posts