Walther Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello good people:

Question about the two calibers. Do you guys notice the difference between the two? Is there a big difference in recoil? What are your thoughts? Does one shoot better than the other due to the caliber or do they shoot the same? Thanks in advance for your input.

·
Premium Member
13,914 Posts
Never noticed any significant difference as far as handling or recoil.

If you are serious, go for the bigger caliber.

M

·
Registered
68 Posts
Never noticed any significant difference as far as handling or recoil.

If you are serious, go for the bigger caliber.

M
If you are serious about shooting a lot, go for the cheaper caliber. If you want to use it as a defensive weapon, it doesn't really matter. The difference between 9mm and .40 is not incredibly significant. The difference between 9mm and .45 is significant. But really if you don't like shooting the .40 cal because of the increased kick, you won't be as accurate with it.

Go with what you like after shooting both.

·
Registered
910 Posts
In this particular gun (the P99) and I can only speak for the compact, the difference in felt recoil IMHO, is not that great. Personally, I prefer the .40SW since I reload this caliber and it does - all things being equal - provide a heavier punch. But the 9mm is no slacker either with the right ammo and it is cheaper to shoot than the .40 if you don't reload. I have both the .40 and the 9mm P99c. I like the .40 better.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I have a 9mm P99 and my buddy has the .40. I've shot them both side by side and can't really tell there's a big difference in recoil. The 9mm seems to be a little snappier, while the .40 "pushes" a little harder. I prefer 9mm because it's cheap to buy and real cheap to reload, and recoil from 9mm seems to flip up then right back down on target for me. This makes double taps and rapid fire much more accurate.

·
Banned
1,007 Posts
The difference between any hangun caliber from 9mm to .45 is insignificant in a normal self defence situation.

·
Registered
910 Posts
The difference between any hangun caliber from 9mm to .45 is insignificant in a normal self defence situation.
All things considered given the option, I'd rather score a hit with a .45 vs. a 9mm in that "worst case scenario" as would most shooters.

·
Registered
910 Posts
I have a 9mm P99 and my buddy has the .40. I've shot them both side by side and can't really tell there's a big difference in recoil. The 9mm seems to be a little snappier, while the .40 "pushes" a little harder. I prefer 9mm because it's cheap to buy and real cheap to reload, and recoil from 9mm seems to flip up then right back down on target for me. This makes double taps and rapid fire much more accurate.
It is very interesting that with the P99, you are correct... the difference in felt recoil between the 9mm and the .40SW is not nearly as great as it is in other handguns.

With practice comes proficiency regardless of caliber. Economics aside, I prefer the .40SW in the P99 but that's just me. I have both and the .40 is what I carry. Having said that, the 9mm is a formidable caliber, my favorite factory load being the Gold Dot for short barrels (in the P99c) and the Corbon DPX.

·
Banned
1,007 Posts
All things considered given the option, I'd rather score a hit with a .45 vs. a 9mm in that "worst case scenario" as would most shooters.
I miight feel the same way since I really like my .45s. However, I don't think there is any scientific evidence that proves that the .45 is better than the 9mm under a normal self defense situation. Modern handgun rounds have evolved so that they are all pretty much equal at the present time. The .45 is only bigger by approximately one tenth of one inch in diameter. I just can't see that as having a significant effect.

·
Registered
910 Posts
I don't agree with you Ogie and there is a plethora of data to support but as Mike indicated, no need for this thread to go into a whole new direction (and an old one at that). Suffice to say, choice of ammo plays an important role. Today's modern 9mm ammo is a vast improvement over what was available 30 years ago so the "ballistic gap" has narrowed, that I will admit.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts