Walther Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Interesting. It also states "NOTE: Will NOT fit the Smith & Wesson*SW99 Full Size*.40 S&W" . . .

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah. I saw that too. I suspected that it meant that the conversion would fit the P99 but not the SW99.

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
They make these barrels to take up the extra space in the hole at the end of the slide, so you only need the barrel & 9mm magazines for the conversion. The .40 slide is heavier, which may affect performance, but since it's intended for practice, it shouldn't be that big of an issue.

It won't fit the SW99 because the barrel end on the SW99 is the same OD for both 9 & 40.

·
Registered
6,756 Posts
I agree with jonm61 that you shouldn't do this unless it is just a range gun. The breechface on the slide of the 40cal will be bigger, so the extractor will probably not get as good of a grip on the rim as it would a 40cal round, and the ejector will probably not be in the optimal place and will not be the optimal size for a 9mm round.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Is .40 ammo really THAT much more expensive than 9mm that it's worth it to do this? Adding in the cost of a couple of 9mm mags, how many rounds do you have to shoot before you break even? Doesn't it, generally speaking, make more sense to just buy a reloading press?

·
Registered
5 Posts
I personally dig the option to change calibers. I of course look at this from a SHTF point of view. Having one side arm that can eat multiple calibers would be a great addition in any crisis situation where ammunition may be limited. Nothing more useless that a gun with no bullets. So, why not have an option handy so you can use the primary ammo commonly found here in the states! JMHO!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts