Walther Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wish Walther would make a 22LR conversion for the P99. I've got em for a Glock and my 1911, and they are great for training. The P22 just isn't like shooting the P99 so it just dosn't cut it as a trainer for the P99. They could drop the P22 and just make a conversion for the P99 and sell a P99 in 22LR if they wanted.
If Walther dosn't do it, sooner or later Ciener or Advantage Arms will, and I will have one.
Anyone else want one??

·
Registered
263 Posts
I wouldn't hold my breath for a P99 conversion.

Demand wouldn't be very high for it since the P22 serves as a close counterpart. I would agree that shooting the P22 is nothing like shooting a P99. But shooting any .22 is unlike shooting a P99.

Converting the P22 would probably be so costly that it would make better sense just to go out and get a new .22 pisol. The barrel and magazines and recoil spring would have to be replaced of course. The entire slide and striker assembly would likely have to be replaced since the P99 is striker fired and the .22 is a rimfire cartridge. Also, the extreme difference in case size would require a new ejector as well.

Basically, if you wanted to convert the P99 to .22 you'd have to replace the whole upper part of the weapon.

If you have a 9mm P99, I don't see why it wouldn't be wiser to practice with 9mm ammo. Its cheap and plentiful. If you have a .40, you might want to consider a 9mm conversion barrel.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Yes, the gun would need a new top end but such conversions have been made for popular guns such as the 1911, Beretta 92, and the Glock 17.  As previously mentioned, Ciener is one company that does this type of thing.  They make some good stuff.  

http://www.22lrconversions.com/

A new .22LR top end with a mag starts around $200.  (I know, for that much you could almost buy a dedicated .22 pistol.)  People like them because they get the exact grip and trigger pull of the gun they're used to shooting.  The ammo for a .22 is pennies comparted to what 50 rounds of 9mm costs.  It is uncontested that the recoil is different since the caliber has changed from a 9mm to a .22 and the new upper has a different weight.  

The real problem is Walther has little incentive to make such a conversion kit.  It would cut directly into the market for its P22.  Ciener could do it, but I don't think the P99 is popular enough yet to mandate such an endeavor.  -That said, I'd like to see it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts