Walther Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some forums indicate P99 2005/AF has longer magazine release. Is this a cosmetic change or it really makes a difference? Does anybody have pictures of the 2005 model showing the new release?

Was something else changed in 2005 models?

·
Registered
75 Posts
I have one. Give me a few minutes and I'll take some pics of it.

-- j

·
Registered
75 Posts

The last pic is the release fully extended.

-- jon

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Noj - Cool gun, thanks for the pictures!

Did you find the new version more convenient than pre-2005 versions (with the short mag release)? I mean, is the difference really significant on practice? Can the release be reached/operated by thumb (assuming average hand)? Or it's designed to be pushed by index finger?

Is there anything else new you've noted in the 2005 version?

·
Registered
65 Posts
I think the long magazine release is more useful than the short. You can use the thumb, forefinger, or both (what I do).

Other than that, I think the 05 is the same as the 04.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I usually release it with my index or middle finger. I can't reach it with the thumb on my trigger hand. I'm sure if I was speed shooting I'd hit it with the thumb on my non trigger hand. I'm sitting here doing it and it seems to work okay. But I am still learning to shoot (this is my first gun - is even the first gun I've ever shot) so I usually just release it with either of the aforementioned fingers. When I was looking at these guns, I handled a pre-05 at a pawn shop and it had the short release, this one seems more comfortable, easier to hit. I also prefer it to the release on my roommates XD.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thanks guys!

Just struck me Walther had come up with yet another version of this fine pistol.
That latch looks perfect to me; no snag + ease of operation.

Now all I gotta do is save some money to get one...

·
Registered
14 Posts
I'm also noticing the rail isn't enclosed at the end. On my model it is, although I have the older styling. I forget if the newer ones have it or not.

·
Registered
72 Posts
[b said:
Quote[/b] (sysfailur @ Oct. 04 2005,13:41)]I'm also noticing the rail isn't enclosed at the end. On my model it is, although I have the older styling. I forget if the newer ones have it or not.
Yea, this is the 2004+ rail.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
cerberus,

You are correct, the releases are on both sides. Last (a bit fuzzy, close up) picture shows the release is pressed by index finger on the left side.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Am I missing something? I don't see an ambi slide stop/release on the pics? Slide stop on just the left side, or is it on BOTH sides...?

·
Registered
75 Posts
It does not have ambi slide release, I wish it did - since I shoot left handed. That - and the short accesory rail - are about the only thing's I don't like about the gun. I like the Streamlight M6 but alas can't put it on.

-- j

1 - 13 of 13 Posts