Walther Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This came in the mail today :)

The quality is actually very nice for not being made by Walther themselves. It is very solidly built with good weight, very sharp, and has a comfortable kraton (slightly rubbery material), textured, handle. The blade is 440C stainless steel (at least it's not 440A) and is thick at the spine. Not the best steel in the world but a very serviceable one. There is a sharp saw edge on the back spine of the blade as well.

I've heard of a lot of "Walther" blades being sub-par but this one seems to defy the odds. Perhaps because they were putting the P99 badge on it that they had to make sure it was higher quality.

The provided sheath is very sturdy as well, though the blade doesn't fit very snuggly in it so it will fall right out if you tip it upside down. Unless of course you secure the leather/velcro retaining strap. It comes with a few straps/clips for belt, shoulder, etc carry. The upper portion acts as a body shield but it could have been made smaller in my opinion. The belt clip is not the best, I had an instance where I drew the blade and the sheath came up too as the blade caught a bit on the retaining strap.

For the price, I'd say it is a good value for a pretty decent, functional, knife. Sure, I know there are better knives out there because of x,y, and z but this one is a good option for the money.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I found mine on Ebay, new, for $50. Normally I see them listed for $65.

Walther's new U.S. website: Store | Walther Arms , they launched recently is adding a "Store" section which will be will be up in the next few days. You may be able to find it there.

Here's more info about the knife on the German site: Carl Walther Sportwaffen - Produkte - Ausrüstung - Messer

I've seen some listed for around $30 online but they have a brass colored finger guard which is a bit different shape. Those might be knock offs.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
One other usage note:

If you flip the sheath around and tuck it inside your pants with the clip over the belt on the outside it actually works well for a IWB knife. It's very hard to see you have anything there, even with a somewhat form fitting t-shirt over it. Impressive for an 11 inch knife. I strap the velcro retention strap down and then put in the knife, that way it draws free. There's no way to fiddle with the retention strap when it is tucked in like that. Gravity and your cloths keep it in place till you need it.

Wish I could find a slimmer, more secure, sheath but this one works pretty well for this.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Definitely could be, after I took a look at those AF series knives. Same kind of steel is used. Looks like Boker is out of Germany. There are no "Made in..." markings on the knife so I can't tell you where it was manufactured. The only name on the knife is Walther so who knows, maybe Walther actually made this one. I had just heard that they don't make their own knives so I assumed that was the case here.

·
Premium Member
26,071 Posts
Walther has produced a series of these knives that are available from a number of sources, including the Sportsman's Guide:

Sportsman's Guide - Discount Hunting Gear, Discount Hunting Boots, Discount Shoes, Discount Ammunition, Discount Ammo, Discount Boots, Military Surplus, Outdoor Gear at The Sportsman's Guide=

You can also get Walther-marked battle axes (yes, you can't make this stuff up), machettes (in two styles), etc. I believe that they are made in China. Whether this latest version is of that same ilk is anyone's guess.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
For those times when you need a Battle Axe handy ;) haha. I guess it would make a good home defense back-up weapon. A bit grisly, but effective.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have a number of Walther knives, and all of the current-production knives I've bought in the past year or two were made in China. I also have a Hammerhead that's a few years old, which was made in Taiwan. I nearly bought a P99 on a couple of different occasions, but wasn't sure if they were legit. Even if something isn't physically made by Walther, I didn't want to buy something made with their name on it but not licensed.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.