Walther Forums banner

41 - 60 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
I noticed a couple more differences between the 1st gen and current gen P99's the other day. (You guys probably already know, but I was surprised I hadn't noticed).

There is a kind of "floor plate" under the slide release on the 1st gens (maybe due to the thinner thumb indent), and the current gen has an extra diagonal line/cut above the trigger guard and behind the rail.

·
Registered
3 Posts
What kind do I have?

Hi,

I think I have a Gen 1, since I got it when they first came to the USA. The Serial is under 4000 and I have only fired some 300 rounds through the gun.

I have noticed that the newer the P99 the worse the trigger pull and action lockup, in the ones I have seen and handled.

I would have never purchased it if it had been marked S&W anywhere on it. I'm a pure Walther (Germany or before the S&W takeover of their line in the USA) fan. I just don't think of the S&W's as a true Walther anymore. I know that their quality is definately not the same.

·
Premium Member
26,070 Posts
Walther makes the P99. S&W imports the P99 to the USA. U.S. law requires the import stamp, which is why the P99s sold here have an S&W stamp. S&W at one time made at least part of the SW99; Walther also supplied the frame for this model.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Just picked up my P99c what gen is it?:

Just picked up a new P99s AS S#111xx and it has the longer mag release, but has the shorter slide release lever. So, does not look like the gen 2 or gen 3 model pictures posted on this forum. So, what would I call this one?

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Regarding the P99 and respective trigger pulls, I just obtained an early Gen I with split trigger, and the pull is less comfortable than my later Gen I solid trigger gun (due to the top of the trigger being cut out more than the later triggers) and is also heavier. The heaviness of the earlier gun might be the result of a brand new striker assembly being installed (it broke right after I got it), so the spring has not aged, worn, or gotten lighter naturally....yet. So, I'm going to ask, do any of you have opinions as to whether any particular generation of gun enjoys a better trigger and pull, or are they all varying due to age and deterioration?

·
Registered
12 Posts
I still like to believe there are 3 generations but I can see why others would disagree.

For me:
Gen I is the original frame/slide
Gen II is the updated frame/slide that maintains the short mag release
Gen III is the updated frame/slide with the long mag release and ambi/extended slide release.

Left to right in this picture, ignore the extra barrel sticking out

http://www.psycho.ca/walther/gen-1-2-3-9mm.jpg
Can someone explain why the Walther website does not show the third model with the extended slide release that Steve99 has in this picture?

Thanks,
Wolvee

·
Banned
1,763 Posts
Can someone explain why the Walther website does not show the third model with the extended slide release that Steve99 has in this picture?Thanks,
Wolvee
If you look on the site a little you'll notice that the ambi slide lever is available on the US model that comes with night sights as part of that package. If you're a lefty then I suppose I can see why you might like it but it is very large like the HK types and not something I'd want on a carry gun. Even if I was a lefty, I'd slingshot it anyway.

Of note before the question is asked is the barrels stick out on those pictures because they're Canadian model guns that require a slightly longer barrel because that keeps the world safe.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
6 Posts
I just got this P99QA in a trade and the slide / mag release is different from others that I have seen. It was tested by Smith & Wesson on 27.05.10 I'm guessing is a 2010 model??, gen 4??? Looks like a mix of Gen 2 and 3.

·
Super Moderator
9,923 Posts
Yours is the latest generation. Right side of the slide, just below the ejection port, just to the left of the serial number you'll find a two-letter code. If the weapon was made in 2010, that code will read BA, where B=1 and A=0.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Interesting. I also have an Interarms KI date coded gun bought new in August 1998, and it doesn't have the split trigger. The S/N is 400xxx. Did .40 caliber guns have their own S/N range beginning with 40, or was the 40xxxxx a new series for all P99s?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Hello all, new to this forum. I'm seriously looking at picking up a P99 AS 9mm 4" and I'm wondering if there is a dead give away in telling if it's a 3rd generation model. Reason I ask this is I will be purchasing online, is it just best to ask the seller which generation it is (looking at purchasing from budsgunshop)? If it's new then does that automatically mean it's a 3rd generation? Reason I ask the last question is looking at this page
http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/55/products_id/32922 that looks like a 2nd gen to me but it could just be a stock photo deal. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello all, new to this forum. I'm seriously looking at picking up a P99 AS 9mm 4" and I'm wondering if there is a dead give away in telling if it's a 3rd generation model. Reason I ask this is I will be purchasing online, is it just best to ask the seller which generation it is (looking at purchasing from budsgunshop)? If it's new then does that automatically mean it's a 3rd generation? Reason I ask the last question is looking at this page
http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/55/products_id/32922 that looks like a 2nd gen to me but it could just be a stock photo deal. Thanks in advance!

According to what I have seen in the other FAQ's they have mistakenly put up the picture of a .40 S&W, not a 9mm. I am also new around here (Hi yall:) ) and that took me a while to figure out.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Is there any difference between replacement parts compatibility? I just bought a 1st gen and I cant find parts anywhere.

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
to the last 2 posts.....
it was more than 6000..... #010378 is the last I have recorded so far with the split trigger and serial started at 001001

the split trigger was a design to prevent the trigger from being pulled if it was not evenely pulled back
to read more and see pics follow the link...
FAQ VII-4
My Interarms imported 99 date code KI has a split trigger and the serial is 0108XX.

·
Premium Member
26,070 Posts
Is there any difference between replacement parts compatibility? I just bought a 1st gen and I cant find parts anywhere.
The various generations are mostly compatible. You'll want to contact Walther's new operation and let them know of your specific needs:

Walther ArmsWalther Arms

Walther Arms, Inc
7700 Chad Colley Blvd
Fort Smith, AR 72916
(479) 242-8500 ext 273

·
Registered
30 Posts
I like the first gen p99 with ski hump in the trigger guard, makes it look cooler.
I have a first gen p99 .40 cal ,i love it! Im now a die hard walther fan i want buy the ppq as my next pistol take that glock!

41 - 60 of 74 Posts