Walther Forums banner

21 - 40 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Well, this has just been going on and on and on hasn't it....? I say two variations of the P99....The closed rail model gen 1 and the open rail model gen 2.......The gen 2 with the short mag release is not a 1.5 or a 2 putting the later as a 3rd model. It's as simple as an auto mfg. changing the hood or wheels or any other number of things...ex: Google up a 1991 FOrd Explorer and a 1994 Ford Explorer......Find the difference?? Now Look at a 1995 Explorer......The 91-94 are the reverse sort of speak as the open railed P99's(Same overall look with a slight difference) where as the 95 would be the closed rail.....and if this doesnt make sense then I will come back and post pictures to explain it....Sorry for the rambling...

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
Idon't think anyone will ever agree - but once again, I say:

1st - beginning to 2003
2nd - 2004
3rd - 2005 to present
I just have a hard time calling 1 year's production a "generation".

·
Premium Member
4,589 Posts
I have it like the old guys :D

Gen I
  • 1996-2003
Gen II
Gen III
  • 2005-present
however My wrench in this is that when you go to the factory it is yet another thing... They call them something entierly different :eek:

The only thing I remember (thats what you get for not taking notes)
The P99 which is getting reffered to as P99 RAD is a P99Q and is a Walther gun... no matter what the Polish make out of it :D

·
Registered
4,281 Posts
I have it like the old guys

Gen I
  • 1996-2003
Gen II
Gen III
  • 2005-present
however My wrench in this is that when you go to the factory it is yet another thing... They call them something entierly different :eek:

The only thing I remember (thats what you get for not taking notes)
The P99 which is getting reffered to as P99 RAD is a P99Q and is a Walther gun... no matter what the Polish make out of it
U da man! :cool::cool:

·
Premium Member
4,589 Posts
to the last 2 posts.....
it was more than 6000..... #010378 is the last I have recorded so far with the split trigger and serial started at 001001

the split trigger was a design to prevent the trigger from being pulled if it was not evenely pulled back
to read more and see pics follow the link...
http://lundestudio.com/WaltherP99FAQ/VII/4.html

·
Super Moderator
9,923 Posts
Which gen is best and why? Split trigger too.
That would all be a matter of personal, subjective taste, MiamiMutt. My only experience is with a Generation 3 P99c AS, which I positively love, so my opinion would naturally be biased in favor of that particular generation and trigger model . . . although there's a full-size Generation 1 P99 in the Trading Post forum that looks mighty tempting at $500. Plus it's an Interarms import, which would look nifty next to my Interarms PPK/S.

·
Registered
535 Posts
My opinion on this Generational debate...

I don't care if it goes 1,2,3 or 1, 1.5, 2. Personally, I go with the "1.5" sequence. I feel that the mag release was an in-between thing; the rest of the gun changed, but the mag release (for whatever reason) was done later.

But as to the thinking that there are only 2 gens - that's simply not the case. Clearly, Walther has shipped 3 different frame/slide configurations.

We use 3 different nomenclatures so that our fellow Walther enthusiasts will know what the heck we're talking about when we talk about a particular subject - say, holsters or rail accessories (which are Gen dependent) - or when someone's asking what type of P99 someone has for sale (cosmetic and/or functional). The mag release isn't always a factor, but it's nonetheless just a verbal way of describing the situation. It's just faster than saying "Gen 2 with a Gen 1-style mag release".

I don't even want to get into rollmarks vs laser engraving... but if anyone knows why Walther seemed to change to one or the other based on the phase of the moon, pls chime in. ;)

thorn

·
Banned
1,007 Posts
I prefer to think of mine as a 2nd generation with the longer mag release. :)

Mine is a P99 AS 9mm made in 2006 and as far as I can tell there is no difference from a P99 AS 9mm P99 made in 2004 other than the longer mag release.

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
That would all be a matter of personal, subjective taste, MiamiMutt. My only experience is with a Generation 3 P99c AS, which I positively love, so my opinion would naturally be biased in favor of that particular generation and trigger model . . . although there's a full-size Generation 1 P99 in the Trading Post forum that looks mighty tempting at $500. Plus it's an Interarms import, which would look nifty next to my Interarms PPK/S.

That's exactly what I was going to say. I've owned both 1st gen & 2nd gen. There are things to like/love about each. Personally, I'm not liking the longer mag release that much, though I have more of an issue with it on my PPS than on my P99.

One of the biggest positives, to me, on the 2nd gen, though I still think they screwed us to a degree, is the rail. The 1st gen rail, you bought a Walther accessory or a ridiculous, cumbersome adapter. On the 2nd gen, we have the "S&W" rail, which is better because there are more things that fit it, but it's not a universal rail, like most everyone else uses, so that limits you to certain brands or certain models that fit the S&W rail.

Why the can't give us a Picatinny or Universal rail is beyond me, but it annoys the crap out of me that I can't use the same light on my Glocks & my P99 without changing the key. Dumbest thing I've heard in the last 20 minutes! :mad:

The only answer to your question is to study the differences in the generations, both functional and cosmetic, and decide which is best for YOU.

·
Registered
8 Posts
to the last 2 posts.....
it was more than 6000..... #010378 is the last I have recorded so far with the split trigger and serial started at 001001

the split trigger was a design to prevent the trigger from being pulled if it was not evenely pulled back
to read more and see pics follow the link...
http://lundestudio.com/WaltherP99FAQ/VII/4.html[/QUOTE

My P99 does not have the split trigger and the sn is 009010. Forgive me if I sound ridiculous. but I have never seen the split trigger variant.

·
Registered
8 Posts
BTW: new here

Oh, and hello all. I am new. Was just being as productive as possible while at work, so I decided to look up how cool my P99 is and found this forum. So, while my boss isn't looking over my shoulder, I will be checking out all the topics.:cool:

·
Premium Member
4,589 Posts

·
Registered
382 Posts
Are there any full-size P99's with the round-bottom trigger guard like the Compact has, or do they all have square-bottomed trigger guards?

·
Registered
11 Posts
I still like to believe there are 3 generations but I can see why others would disagree.

For me:
Gen I is the original frame/slide
Gen II is the updated frame/slide that maintains the short mag release
Gen III is the updated frame/slide with the long mag release and ambi/extended slide release.

Left to right in this picture, ignore the extra barrel sticking out

http://www.psycho.ca/walther/gen-1-2-3-9mm.jpg
What is the deal with the extended barrels?
Are these YOUR pistols? If so, what length is the barrel in the pics as they look like what I need!

21 - 40 of 74 Posts