Walther Forums banner

1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, so can we get a sticky with information and visual differences between all the generations of the P99? I have a (what I think is) 3g P99, bought new in 09'.

·
Registered
447 Posts
we can't even agree on what the generations are.

is the split trigger a generation ?

is the short magazine release on the new frame a generation ?

what about the european slide release ?

·
Premium Member
26,070 Posts
This is a good start on the discussion. If folks want to continue, and begin to add some photos, it'll be easy enough to turn this into a Sticky. Let's have at it and agree to agree, or disagree, on the various generations of the P99.

·
Registered
281 Posts
I still like to believe there are 3 generations but I can see why others would disagree.

For me:
Gen I is the original frame/slide
Gen II is the updated frame/slide that maintains the short mag release
Gen III is the updated frame/slide with the long mag release and ambi/extended slide release.

Left to right in this picture, ignore the extra barrel sticking out

http://www.psycho.ca/walther/gen-1-2-3-9mm.jpg

·
Premium Member
26,070 Posts
Good, Steve. The thread is now Stuck. Keep them coming, one and all. Maybe we'll find some resolution in this bit of business in time. For me, I still think of the gun as the P99, just as the P.38 is the P.38. Sure, it underwent some developments along the way; but until it became the P1 and then the P4 and the P5, it was still the P.38.

·
Registered
291 Posts
I still like to believe there are 3 generations but I can see why others would disagree.

For me:
Gen I is the original frame/slide
Gen II is the updated frame/slide that maintains the short mag release
Gen III is the updated frame/slide with the long mag release and ambi/extended slide release.

Left to right in this picture, ignore the extra barrel sticking out

http://www.psycho.ca/walther/gen-1-2-3-9mm.jpg
Great picture. How do those variations relate to dates/importers?

·
Registered
291 Posts
It suspect it's way too late to introduce new terminology, but based on what I see, I'll call them 1.0, 2.0 and 2.1 :)

·
Registered
281 Posts
Great picture. How do those variations relate to dates/importers?
Gen 1 = 2003
Gen 2 = 2004
Gen 3 = 2007

As I am in Canada there are no importer marks, they are all direct from Walther Germany.

The extended/ambi slide release seems to actually be the "standard" since 2006/2007 for P99s unless ordered without it such as S&W does.

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
I was under the impression, so please correct me if I'm wrong, that the new frame with short mag release was only made in 2004. If that is the case, I would have a hard time calling 1 year's production a "generation", which is why I tend to lean towards the 1, 1.5, 2.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Awesome, this information is great. However, I (being the guy that I am) have to throw a wrench in the gears.

So, my AS is a Walther P99, not a SW99. The extra machine clearencing on the slide (like all the AS models) is not there....

Here's what I am talking about..

This is my model

Here is another 3g P99 with the relieved end of the slide

Am I missing something here?

·
Registered
291 Posts
Awesome, this information is great. However, I (being the guy that I am) have to throw a wrench in the gears.

So, my AS is a Walther P99, not a SW99. The extra machine clearencing on the slide (like all the AS models) is not there....

Here's what I am talking about..

This is my model

Here is another 3g P99 with the relieved end of the slide

Am I missing something here?
That's the difference between the .40 and the 9mm. The 9mm has the more complex front on the slide. See http://www.gunfaqs.org/P99FAQ/I/1.html

·
Registered
160 Posts
beat me to it!

as i was told, the relief cut is to make the 9mm slide lighter, and it is also shorter overall than the .40 slide
the reason for the lighter slide is that both calibers use the same recoil assembly

·
Premium Member
26,070 Posts
World War II

The official service pistol for the British military during World War II was the Enfield No. 2 Mk I .38/200 calibre revolver,[11] but owing to a critical shortage of handguns, a number of other weapons were also adopted (first practically, then officially) to alleviate the shortage. As a result, both the Webley Mk IV in .38/200 and the .455 calibre Webley Mk VI were issued to personnel during the war.[12]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Webley_Revolver

1 - 20 of 74 Posts