Walther Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I used to own P88 full-size. It was the reportedly the most accurate 9mm DA ever. I've seen a picture where P88 grouped 1-hole 1-inch 5-shot groups at 25 yards ..... off-hand!

I've sold mine. The reason.....the grip was just too thick for rapid fire, especially in DA mode. The gun, because of its twin operating levers was very hard to conceal and the gap between the slide and the lever made it snag-prone. And the trigger, I don't know about you, guys, but for me, it was one of the worst DA ever. SA was a little better, but nothing to write home about. Just try to compare it to Beretta 92F or Sig Sauger P-225. The operating lever needed quite a bit of force to manipulate.

But No.1 reason why I sold it was I almost pulled my finger-nail off while re-assembly after a session. It was too hard to live with. I prefer P-5, it may not be as accurate, but easy to live with.

Now, gentlemen, I AM READY FOR THE ROPE on the lamp post.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I'm interested in your thoughts as I have one that just hasn't had the recommended break in period. I have read (and hope) that the more rounds down range the better she'd get. I've never been any good with the first DA pull on any pistol and it sort of bothers me - I guess I need to practice far more...
I do recall that the P88 DA is better than the P5 but I may be wrong - I haven't done a side by side comparison.
I suppose I'm spoiled by the M8....

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
I personally don't think the P88 is the most accurate DA pistol. I easily shot any of my P99s better than the P88 that I had.

Of course, that could just be me

And any of my P7s could out shoot my P88 that I had.

James

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
I've found that my DA pull is much better than that of the Beretta. I'm not sure about a P225, never tried one. Mine is nice an smooth and personally I think its better than the P99's.

The full sized P88 wasn't ever meant to be a concealment gun. It was developed for military use. The P88 compact is more in line for conceald carry.

I'd like to know how you almost pulled your finger nail off trying to re-assemble it. I've never had a problem. It goes on and comes off just as easily as my P99's.

I also find that the grip is a little bit big, but it doesn't bother me. And the accuracy is right on par with what you had described.

Personally I really like mine and will keep it for a very long time.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
no, it came nice and smooth. I haven't really shot mine that much. It was in near mint condition when I picked it up, so I've only put around 100 rounds through it. I've been thinking about shooting it more, but I didn't want to lessen its value.

I do dry fire it on occasion and have found its very smooth.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Thanks Devin,
I think my trigger is fairly smooth already but I would like it a little crisper in DA. Perhaps the fp safety feature factors in here.
You brought up another point I hadn't really thought that much about: are these handguns going up in value?  I genuinely don't know about their collectibility - are they that uncommon?
My example has about 200 rounds through it with box and papers. I like it much better than the Browning High Power and don't know why they aren't compared more often.
Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
That's a nice looking P88 you got there!

I believe they are going up in value. They've always been on the spendy side and I've noticed prices in the $1500 range. There were only around 10,000 made. What does your serial number start with? I've seen a couple over the 10,000 mark.

So for me, I'm still going to shoot mine, but for competitions, plinking and carry, I use my P99.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Hi Devin,
Many Thanks Again - I'll post the serial nº tomorrow. It seems like I read somewhere my example was the second variation (or generation) evidenced by the frame mounted trigger stop and shorter rear sight - Does this sound familiar?
I never did see yours at your 500 post - just a red x.
TIA

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
TIA,

Yes, you have a second generation P88. The first generation had the trigger stop on the trigger and the back sight was a little taller and skinnier. The front sight on the first gen. was also dove tailed into the slide. On the second gen. the front sight is integral to the slide. The first generation P88 was only in production for the first year. (1987)

Mine is also a second generation and is in the 5000 s/n range.

I'll have to fix my picture. I'm not sure what happened.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Gentlemen, this solves the problem. Mine, definitely was the first gen. I had heard the same complaints from others. So by the time you guys got your P88, the problem I mentioned had been fixed. Another word, I was the guinie pig:(

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Red,

I hope you aren't confusing the full sized P88 with the P88 compact. There are indeed two versions of the full sized P88, but I believe their disassembly procedures are the same. Nothing internally changed. Just some external changes.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Devin, generally companies, especially Germans don't like to admit they had changed. For some reason, they like to pretend they are consistent. Just because they didn't make public announcement doesn't mean there was no internal change.

I'll give you an example of Loewe Aconda HDTV. It was originally designed and manufactured in Germany. The best HDTV in the world, unbelievable color! For logistics reasons, they started manufacturing in U.S., and using inferior or different components from original specs. The result was a massive power surge problm. They finally stopped manufacturing it in U.S. after massive complaints from customers. But they never admitted, as far as they are concerned it never happened. I found out after talking to technicians who worked on Loewe Aconda tv.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Red,

Very true. I'm getting my information from a very reliable source, who has done a lot of research on Walther. He never stated that there were any internal changes to the P88, however he may not have dug deep enough either. His main interests are the PP series and P.38 series.

I'll see if I can find any more info.

Devin

·
Registered
88 Posts
Devin,
FWIW, My serial nº is in the mid 6000 range.
Many Thanks for the great info - I haven't learned as much about the p88 since the G&A article!
- bryan

1 - 15 of 15 Posts