Walther Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
"no posts within the last three months"!.........

we must be the owners of the rarest Walther production pistol made!

I finally got my very early P88 #01024 last week after waiting six months (do you guys remember my posts about my finding it?).
It's the law here in Norway that you have to be a member of a pistol club for six months, do a safety course and then apply to the police for a handgun permit.... (I don't have to wait for my next handgun from now on).

Well I picked up my P88 and a S&W model 18 last week and fired them for the first time on Wednesday............. both are great shooters and lovely to use......well worth the long, long wait!
The club members had a very good look at the P88 which is in 95% condition, I'm guessing it was built in January 1987 so it's very nice for 20 years old!

I'll post some more photos soon, if someone can remind me how to do it!

cheers,

John H
Aussie in Norway

·
Premium Member
4,589 Posts
cool....:)
that one is way early.....
serial # 001001 was the first full production P88...... also you should have one of a few P88 with a dovetail front sight ......
starting in 12/1987 the front sight was integral with the slide

share some pics maybe ??

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi uncut,

yep you are correct, the #3 front sight is dovetailed into the slide.

I actually had a bit of a problem with the rear sight, a very strong spring pushing a very sharp pin into very deep notches in the adjustment screw, there was no way the screw would turn.

I'm an instrument maker and used my small files to round the pin a little and polish the burs off the notches in the edge of the screw, it works fine now.
Another problem that I hope is o/k now was running out of adjustment when moveing the sight to the right (from behind).

I cleaned the gunk from behind the screw and got a couple of extra clicks out of it last night, I'm shooting tonight (wednesday) and will see if it was enough.

The local gunstore had a used P88 compact in good condition and I'm very tempted to go for it, then I'd be a real Walther man! (I have a CP88 with walnut grips for fun).
I just have to sell a couple of things (I'll hang onto the wife and kids though).

Now tell me how to attach photos and I'll give it a go in a day or so!

cheers,

-John H
Norway

·
Premium Member
4,589 Posts
John
in order to post photes here....
- you can either become a "supporting member" for $10 a year...
- you can host them on imgaeshak are sites like it and link the pictures here

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Here's P88 001024......

Hi,

here's my early P88, I'll send a few images over the next couple of hours....

Cheers,

John
Aussie in Norway

·
Premium Member
4,589 Posts
John
this one is nice.... wow
so what front sight blade is in your P88.... I seen one not to long ago that has a #3 sight in the front.....and one with a #4........
It is interesting that they changed the sights.... do a search on some P88 pics and you can tell that the sights changed a lot.... the ones built into the slide are a lot shorter than the dovetailed ones....
those sights would have been perfect for suppressors as tall as they are....

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My two classics....

Hi uncut,

yes, my eary P88 has the taller sights, my front sight is a #3.

I guess the lower sights would be better for a carry/combat pistol, but I'm a collector/target shooter and like haveing an early production P88.

Here is my other classic (with my P88), my Smith & Wesson Model 18 .22........
I was thinking of getting a P22 then saw the Model 18 for $75 less (at the local Walther dealers store) it was made in 1977, is in nice condition and is much better value for money.

As a kid I used to read my uncles American Rifleman mags and dream of S&W kit guns and such; when I saw this last year I went home, got informed on the S&W forum and bought it the next day!

What other handguns do you own?

cheers,

-John

·
Premium Member
4,589 Posts
Ummm
I have P99, P99c, P5, P38, 2 PP Super's a .22lr PP.. 2 P7M8's a Walther G22

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Uncut,

I might have to go for the P88 Compact for sale locally, it's in used, but nice condition for not much more than the price of a new P22.

Then I might buy a P22 just for fun!

Maybe you can post some photos of your collection of Walthers?!!

cheers,

-John

·
Registered
6 Posts
Company

John, I have a very early version that I purchased new while in the Army front dovetail). Unfired with no import stamps. I would be willing to say you would have a hard time finding a better piece. I hate the fact I never shot it (Abused my Browning HP instead).
Ready3n

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hi Ready3n,

can you please tell me what the serial number is on your early P88, can you post a photo or two?
Was it one of the test P88s or a production one?

Browning HPs are made to fire, that's what they are good at!
cheers,

John
Aussie in Norway

·
Premium Member
4,589 Posts
:D Nice, very nice

1 - 20 of 23 Posts