Walther Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. I recently inherited a P88 in mint condition, but I live in California and therefore need to find a 10-round magazine clip. :mad: I searched online and couldn't find any other than make a mod myself. I have no such skills and would rather buy one instead. The guy at my gun range said he could order one for me, yet he didn't even know P88, so I don't know how much I could trust him. Does anybody know where I can find such "legal" magazine?

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
I doubt you will find any as I don't even think they ever made 10 round magazines for this Walther.

Try the Mec-Gar site.

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
I was thinking of them, but I wouldn't use one of their mags in anything let alone a Walther.

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
IIRC, the P99 mags fit and functioned in my P88. I no longer have it so I cannot be certain, but a 10 round P99 mag is cheap enough to try without being out much if it doesn't work.

I really do believe they worked.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
MecGar made the P88 and Beretta 92 mags from the same mould and the magazine bodies are basically identical but the mag catch slot will need to be fitted.

FYI a Walther P88 15 round magazine in good condition isn't exactly cheap.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ProMag is discontinued. Looks like only choice is to give P99 magazine a try. I don't want to re-fit my original P88 magazine as I could easily sell them or use them when I'm outside of California.

·
Registered
447 Posts
The P99 Magazine is too short for the P88. The P99 Mag fits the P88c. Your best option , in my opinion, is to modify a Beretta 92 magazine, that is what Walther did.

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
It must have been the P88 mags that fit the P99 then. I remember trying these out and they did work, I just have the guns reversed.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Please help me get this right. Am I correct based on comments above, that the P99 magazine DOES fit the P88C? Does this hold true for the 15 rd as well as the 10 rd mags?When I bought my 88C during the Clinton years, I could only get 10 rd mags and have always wanted some that would hold more. Thanks!

·
Registered
63 Posts
Thank you very much for that! Although I'm not sure what 'Though you may need to dermal mag catch notch.' means, I'm sure that someone will help me through that. Many thanks for your help!!

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
I'm not sure if the notch in the P99 mag for the mag release is in the same position as a P88 mag. So may need to dermal one in the proper spot. Here some pics of the notch on a 15rd P99 mag

·
Registered
63 Posts
Got it! Thanks.

·
Registered
447 Posts
The notch in the P99 and P88c magazines ARE THE SAME, EXACTLY THE SAME. no modification required.

There is however one little hitch. The plastic base plate on the P99 magazine prevents the magazine from seating in the P88c. The Plastic base plate must be replaced with a flat metal one. Beretta 92 ones fit perfectly. I have also used CZ-75 and P226 base plates.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Does this then mean that in reality two magazines are needed in order to create one that works in the P88C?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Thank you all, great information! I appreciate you folks and the expertise available here.

·
Premium Member
13,914 Posts
There is a lot more to substituting magazines than simply whether it can be inserted into the magazine well in the grip and be locked in and feed a few rounds in superficial testing.

Magazine design is really extremely sophisticated, and gun specific. The perfect Beretta magazine may or may not work when inserted into a current Walther. Magazines often are modified in production, and of course so are the guns themselves. The P99 has had at least three different magazines, and God knows how many modifications to the gun itself.

Height of cartridge presentation can vary a great deal, and often is influenced by the floorplate and by the precise location of the magazine catch notch. It does not take very many thousandths of difference to screw things up. The included angles formed by the feed lips and the follower, and the rear wall of the magazine are usually very carefully calculated, and if one or the other is a few degrees less than ideal it will, upon extensive testing, be found to detract from reliability. (I was told this by people who designed very good magazines for a living, and who knew far more about it than I do.)

But just for openers: Remove the slide and shove the intended substitute magazine into the gun as high as it will go and hold it there. Use the ejector as a visual height gauge. Do the rear of the magazine lips reach as high as the correct magazine? (They should.) Does the magazine impact the ejector? (It should not). Are the front of the lips scrubbing the underside of the slide? (They should not.)

M

1 - 20 of 31 Posts