Walther Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just brought my P88 C home from Scheels after a long, long, time in lay-by.  The store will let you switch your lay-by anytime for anything- and it's easy to get carried away when you see another gun you get excited about- and I was often tempted.

But I just couldn't let this pistol go.  I've wanted a Walther P88 since the 1st day I knew they even existed.  This pistol is the Compact version-  and I really feel now, that I like this one a little better than it's big brother.  It is used, but hard to even tell that it's ever been fired.  I'm glad it is not NIB- otherwise I probably would not want to fire it myself.  So now I cannot wait to shoot this pistol.  I can't say, how thrilled I am to have this pistol.  I also have a beautiful Walther P5, that I purchased 3 years ago-  it shoots great and always goes wherever I go.

I thought there was some information on the year of mfg. code somewhere on this Forum- but am unable to find it.
The "letters" on my P88 C appear to be KG.
The "letters" on my P5 are------------ KC.
Can anyone tell me the years?

My P5 has an Interarms import stamp-  the P88 C has no import stamp.

I've been pretty much preoccupied with these earlier Walthers that I didn't pay any attention to the P99's.  But that has been changing and I would now love to have one- maybe in a .40.  (And someday, get the P88 too.)  

--Weed

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Congrats Weed.  Let us know how it shoots.

To decifer the date code:

A = 0
B = 1
C = 2
D = 3
E = 4
F = 5
G = 6
H = 7
I = 8
K = 9

So your P88c is a 1996 and you P5 is a 1992.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for the date code. The only Thing I notice on my Walther P88 C that may be of some concern is that the ambi-safety lever tends to bind when raising the lever from "safe" to "fire". Using a thumb and forefinger on both side levers simultaenously works smooth. Working the lever repeatedly I notice oil appearing around the shaft- so I think someone previously was aware of the problem and was trying to cover it up by over lubrication. I'm not to worried about it though- and will check it out more thoroughly when I get a chance.

The pistol came with it's cardboard box, cleaning rod, and test target. I am missing the manual and the extra magazine. I did purchase a new blue factory 10 round Walther banner magazine with a black plastic base made by Mec-Gar for $9.99- - from CDNN Sport's Inc.

I might have to wait for some warmer temperatures and longer days to get a chance to get out into the country and shoot this pistol- but I am looking forward to it. Happy New Year's to All!

--Weed

·
Registered
87 Posts
weed, congrats on your new P88C. I certainly love mine.
As far as the safety binding, it should smooth out over time. I bought my P88C NIB and the safety was VERY stiff. After time it has smoothed out nicely.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts