Walther Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I am currently in the market for a Hi cap 9mm. Already have a PPK and a P99 of which I am a fan, have owned the PPK (ist pistol for about 25 years). I have been looking at the following:
HK USP / Sig 220/CZ 75/jericho 941/ tangfoglio. Hon Mention Browning High power and beretta.

Bought the HK last week, was not crazy about it. Really liked my friends jerico 941 but tough to find good used ones. Also shot the sig, put it in the same catagory as the HK, just not crazy about it.

my question is this, is the P88 comparable to the pistols above and what will a decent used one cost ?

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
The P88 or the P88C will run around $1000, with good specimins of P88's going for up to $1500.

What are your intentions for this "Hi Cap 9mm"?

With the current assortment of 9mm's on the market, I don't think the P88 is as good of a carry gun. Since you already have a P99, the P88 is going to seem "old school". Which it is. The current assortment of polymer pistols out there are in my opinion the best "carry" weapons.

If you want a nice pistol that will increase in value and give you awesome accuracy, then the P88 may be what you are looking for.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your input. My opurpose is to add to my collection, and target shooting. Not for carry. Currently own a P99 and PPK, of which I like so I decided to look into another walther, hence the P88. Very expensive. Bought the HK USP, last week but was not crazy about it, also looked at the sig 226 felt it was similiar to the HK. Both are nice but just did not feel right, glock is out due tot he same feel. So no it is down to the Jericho 941 and CZ75 SP01.

·
Premium Member
4,589 Posts
If you are looking to buy another Walther just for range time.... and don'twant to spend a $1000.... I would buy a Walther P5 police trade...... @ $430 not too bad I think and a nice shooter.
However I have to say that I have not heard a bad thing about the CZ 75's....

·
Registered
87 Posts
Another nice low cost option is the Bersa Thunder 9 Fullsize. P88 Clone, 17+1, can be bought for under $400.
Mine has about 2k through it with no malfs. My Bersa also has an excellent trigger in both DA and SA, better than my P88.
www.bersafirearmsusa.com

·
Registered
118 Posts
I have really grown to love my P88. It took me a while but it is a total keeper. First the fit and finish on mine are super nice.

If you are looking for something to punch papers and a weapon you can be proud to own p88 is a great choice.

I Also agree that the p5 is a good choice too. It is very well made has a superb trigger. It is very old school. I spent 150 more to not get a Police trade in. The one I got was part of a collection that looked new.

Personally I would skip the CZ75 or the Jericho. If you want that type of weapon get the orginal High Power. They are great shooting guns. They are bullet proof and have the accuracy you will need out a combat pistol.

In summary get the P88 and then get the P5 you will be glad you did. Have you considered a HK P7M8 now that is a really nice weapon. Try one and you will buy one.

Consider talking to the folks at parkcitiestactical.com (the cult of the P7)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts