Walther Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry if this a re-post, I thought I had posted a new topic.
Anyway, what do you think of the P5? I like the P5 as much as the P99. The trigger is nice and smooth and quite accurate.
I have the P5, the P5c and the P5C SF. There isn't much difference between the P5c and the P5c SF except the phosphate finnish and the NATO designation and the price.

Phil

·
Registered
81 Posts
I've been considering a P5 full size or a P88.

I really have never shot the P5, so I have nothing to base my purchase on other than recommendations.
I have, however, shot the 88...Smooooth!
Chris~

·
Registered
5 Posts
P99,

Finally purchased a P5.  Been very impressed. Light, very accurate & safe design.

The OAL length on some ammo is a problem-true NATO chamber. Had to disassemble the gun with a live round in the chamber when I tried Corbon.  Have heard the same thing with Speer Gold Dot.  Have experienced no problems with military ball ammo.  Exceptional gun just ammo sensitive.  

Have only shot it at close range-25ft so far.  Curious to see how it compares to my HKP7.

Thanks,
Blacksmith

·
Registered
356 Posts
I have a new Walther P5 Compact on the way, and pick it up on the 29th. Its datecode is AA (2000), so it is of recent manufacture. I am looking forward to shooting it. I also pick up my fourth Walther P99 on the same date.

·
Registered
235 Posts
I love the Walther P-5 model and want a P-5C in the future. A friend of mine has a SAS model and stated that when he is ready I will have first pick on it. I will have to work on him when I get the money up.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Have had a P5 since 1982. It is smooth and accurate. Would like to send the slide back to Walther one day and have some engraving done.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
[b said:
Quote[/b] (308fan @ July 20 2002,10:33)]I've been considering a P5 full size or a P88.

I really have never shot the P5, so I have nothing to base my purchase on other than recommendations.
I have, however, shot the 88...Smooooth!
Chris~
Chris, I know of one for sale for I think 646.00. Call Val at Gulfsteam sports. I saw that he had a real nice one on www.gunsamerica.com

P99

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Blacksmith @ July 21 2002,9:28)]Finally purchased a P5.  Been very impressed. Light, very accurate & safe design.

The OAL length on some ammo is a problem-true NATO chamber. Had to disassemble the gun with a live round in the chamber when I tried Corbon.  Have heard the same thing with Speer Gold Dot.  Have experienced no problems with military ball ammo.  Exceptional gun just ammo sensitive.  

Have only shot it at close range-25ft so far.  Curious to see how it compares to my HKP7.

Thanks,
Blacksmith
Blacksmith,

You are correct in your findings. The P5/P5C was manufactured to take ball ammo. However Winchester Silver Tips work fine. There are other brands that work well too. One of the many times I was on the phone with Earl or George, they told me of the ammo manufacturers and I have it here somewhere. I had my P5C SF modified (feed ramp) and it will now fire anything. I actually like the Winchester Silver tips, they make a nice 10 MM high velocity round that I use in my G29.

·
Registered
235 Posts
I never had any problems with either my P-5 or P-1 shooting hollow points. I shoot the 147 Winchester Talons without any feeding problems. I have installed Wolf 8lb springs in both those guns.

·
Registered
120 Posts
[b said:
Quote[/b] (cocojo @ July 27 2002,3:07)]I never had any problems with either my P-5 or P-1 shooting hollow points. I shoot the 147 Winchester Talons without any feeding problems. I have installed Wolf 8lb springs in both those guns.
I have P5. The only HP's it does not like are Gold Dots!! They have a tendency to jam in the riflingswhen chambering!! Something about the overall length and where Walther starts the rifling in the barrel.

·
Registered
235 Posts
denfoote good German quality with tighter tolerences. I shoot Winchester ammo and I like it. I like Speers ball ammo but don't like their HP's the ogive and mouth area of their hollow points should be sharper with less lead at the opening. I prefer a sharp cutting edge on the hollowpoint.
I also noticed that it's uncanny that you like and own the same guns as I do. I have read enough of your posts and I just can believe the similarities in our likings of guns. Walthers P-5's P-1's P-99's and I love my Glock 36 and of course the Makoarov collection.

·
Registered
120 Posts
cocojo,
The GD seems to be the only round it does not like. It likes Rem Golden Sabers, which is what I carry mostly in all my guns!! Do you happen to like the BHP???

·
Registered
235 Posts
My first auto pistol back in the early seventies was the BHP I collected them, I even had Amarnd Swenson put a left hand safety on it for me. It was one of the first guns done this way, it cost me $75.00. I thought that was a ton of money then, but I am a lefty, it was all hand made. At one time I owned three BHP's. I also liked at that time the S&W model 39.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts