Walther Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took my most recent P5C acquisition out last weekend (Actually went to the mountains and not the range). Perfect functioning with 124 gr old style hydrashocks, 147 gr old-style hydrashocks, 124 gr gold dots and 147 gr Ranger T. Of course it worked fine with 124 and 147 gr fmj as well.

No formal target work but was easily keeping all shots within about 4" at 20-30 yards with no real effort. Mostly plinking at cans, dead logs and NECCO wafers. More precise accuracy testing will have to wait until later this year.

I keep hearing about P5s being ammo sensitive but haven't had the problem yet. Perhaps I'll get some 147 gr gold dots and see if I can get a P5 to jam on those.

If only Walther would start producing P5s again in three versions: P5 with steel frame and low-profile adjustable sights; P5 steel frame with original sights; P5C with polymer frame and original sights. Maybe offer some sort of Tenifer-type finish as an option, and perhaps offer the steel frame version in .40 and/or .357 sig, just for broader market appeal.

Perhaps also a DAO version?

The only 9mm that fits my hand as well is the s&w 39xx models.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I'd love to see a reissue of the P5 and P5C in steel and even polymer. Walther should make small runs of their classic pistols, perhaps engraved or for commemorations. I expected them to do it for the reunification of Germany in 1989, but they never did it. I had planned on buying one.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I would like to buy a P5C in steel, also a P5 in 40 s&w, and why not? a 9mm P5 with a double column magazine with 15 rounds!

·
Registered
81 Posts
I would be satisfied, already, if Walther reissued both the P5 and P5 C with alu frame! Maybe with some reinforcement where the recoil springs rest when the slide is removed, as this mod is made by some German departments on guns that have shot a lot.

A steel frame wouldn't add much except weight and Walther has already the P99 serie in polymere.

The only change that I would support is a remodeling of the P5's slide in the form of the P5 C's - tappered all along.

P5s are classics, keep them classy.

Bye

·
Registered
174 Posts
And what do you say about a P-5 in 40 s&w, and a 9mm with a double column magazine with 15 rounds?
And althoug It is a Classic, it's so great design that it would be a pity that Walther let it die with the P-5... imo
Look what Sig is doing with the P-210, Glock has made all kind of models, Cz gave the Cz-75 new life with the Cz P-01 and so on...

·
Registered
81 Posts
Hi,

It is highly personnal indeed, but here in Switzerland, I don't have any use of a .40 P5: expensive, ban on HP ammo and on carry permits and so on. The Beretta 96 in .40 is on the fragile side with the same locking system, so a steel frame would make sense for a .40 P5.

I'm more reluctant on the hi cap proposal. 13 rounds would be a max without changing to a higher grip. And a double column mag would spoil the thin grip which appeals to most P5 afficionados. Hi cap nines are plenty when thin nines like the SIG Sauer P225, the HK P7, the SW 3913 or the P5 have a cult following.

I don't see any use for an adustable sight on a compact defense gun. The P5 rear is already wind adjustable. It works very good but I could live without it. Walther should suppress this gimmick and simplify the design without cutting on the quality. A P5 at a reasonnable price with a good marketing may find a niche market.

All these ideas remember me of the HK P13 and the Mauser HsC. The hi cap version HK was a failure as it spoiled the nice grip of the P7 - the .40 declination was a failure too, for different reasons. After the WWII production, Mauser reissued the Mauser HsC during the 60s and 70s. In reality, it was made by Renato Gamba in Italy for Mauser. In the 80s, Gamba bought the licence and begun to make the HsC on his own view. The horror, the horror, the horror! - to quote Col. Kurtz. Square trigger guard, big sights and wide grip to accomode a hi cap mag. The nice lines of the HsC were spoiled and the pocket gun muted to a big monster.

In fact, I think we are calling in the desert, as Walther is dead for 10 years now. The Umarex group was a producer of fake guns and it is all to logical that they concentrate on the poly P99.

Bye.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I recently acquired a P5C and after a good workout at the range (during which it showed no ammo sensitivity to a variety of JHP & FMJ), I sent it off to Robar for refinishing.  It is certainly accurate enough for a small pistol, DA trigger seems a bit heavy, SA was crisp enough, very much like the SIG 239 I regularly carry.  The previous owner had installed night sights.  I was originally going to have Robar do the slide and controls in their black Rogard and matte silver NP-3 on the frame. but apparently their previous experience with Walther alloy frames suggested that the NP-3 doesn't take well, so I reversed the colors, now with a silver slide & controls over a black frame. I came out beautifully, and I have a set of Nils walnut grips on order to finish her off.  I'll post some pics when she's all dressed up.  Sweet little gun!  I like it well enough to look into picking up a regualr P-5 to keep it company

·
Registered
174 Posts
Wow! yes, post some pictures Plz!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Mike in VA,

If you are in the Northern Virginia area, Virginia Arms in Manassas has a very good condition P5 for sale. Box, 2 mags(which will also work in the P5C), no papers. I believe that it is $475.00. Seems like a very good deal on a P5. I'd buy it but currently have a P5 and a P5C.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Thanks, Vvet, I was in there (my favorite local gun shop) this week and saw that very gun and my AmEx is growing warm in my wallet. My gun budget is a bit tight at the moment, but i may have to ask ernie to put it on lay-a-way . . .

·
Registered
3 Posts
Mike in VA.,

Potomac Arms, in Alexandria, has a P5 as well. Police trade-in. I believe that this one has manual, etc. Also comes with 5 mags! $539.00 IIRC. Saw it yesterday.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Wow, it is great to see some activity on this forum. I don't really have any desire for a P5 in .40 or .357, but they would have market appeal. I know the P99 has polymer frame, but it isn't a P5, and I think a modern polymer frame identical in dimensions to the original would be nice. An all steel P5 would be nice just for fun. I happen to like DAO guns, and would like a DAO P5 with the slightly shorter trigger offered by a DAO

Of course, these will never appear from Walther, but no harm in wishing.

Of course, there really is nothing wrong with the old P5.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Way to go jdw!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts