Walther Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a NIB P5C, ie never fired other than when proofed. I took it out of the safe last night to "admire" it, I pulled the slide back and a chunck of the plastic backstrap flew to the floor and the trigger spring assembly that runs inside the backstrap fell free, pistol is inoperable.

It would appear I only need to replace the plastic backstrap piece which I guess I can get from Earl's. Is this a common point of failure? Seeing how the pistol has not been shot, nor handled very often (first time I have looked at it on over a year) it seems odd, but then the plastic used reminds me of Bakelite. Anyone else ever see this failure mode?

·
Premium Member
4,589 Posts
Yes.... IIRC this has been reported before
I am not sure how common this is though....

·
Premium Member
13,914 Posts
The early backstraps were aluminum alloy. Apparently it was not a change for the better.

Problems of that kind usually result from a poor choice of the type of plastic, and once identified, are easy to correct by using a glass-filled plastic.

M

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies, it does look like a poor material choice for a stressed part, I'll get with Earl's and see what the replacement part is like. I've had the gun for about 8 years, I didn't buy the gun for self defense, which is probably obvious since it sits in the safe never fired but now I'd wonder if it ever did NEED to use it if it would fall apart in my hand.

·
Premium Member
26,071 Posts
Thanks for the replies, it does look like a poor material choice for a stressed part, I'll get with Earl's and see what the replacement part is like. I've had the gun for about 8 years, I didn't buy the gun for self defense, which is probably obvious since it sits in the safe never fired but now I'd wonder if it ever did NEED to use it if it would fall apart in my hand.
Good morning, Saab. Sorry to hear about your problems with the P5. It's a wonderful gun and well worth the effort it takes to get it back to good working order.

You'll read and hear much about Earl's on this site; he has many admirers and an equal number of detractors, it seems. But everyone agrees about at least one thing: His prices are high. Case in point.

I recently picked up a very nice PP Super and decided to seek out a new pair of grips (the originals, doubtless police-carried, were unsightly, though certainly functional). I checked the usual sites and suspects and eventually sent an email to Earl's. His reply: He could supple a new set for $200. I had the same reaction that you doubtless will have when reading this and sent after a day or two a second email, asking if perhaps he had a used set of grips for a PP Super lying around that might be in better condition than the ones my gun was currently dressed in. He then replied that he had a set that were ... well, let me get it in his own words:

"I have a new pair that both panels got cracked (UPS crushed them) but could be super glued for $95 or a pair that 1 panel is scuffed at the top for $150. Both of these are black. Please advise. Sincerely, Earl"

I provide this cautionary tale here not to badmouth Earl (I like and respect him and have purchased from him in the past and doubtless will again) but to indicate that you have other options.

With Uncut's help, I've got a line on a new set of wood checkered grips for the PP Super from a custom supplier in Hungary. His price: $65 and shipping.

I replaced the originals on my police-issued P5 this summer with a set of Hogue rubber grips that are both handsome and quite functional, providing a perfect fit for my hands. The cost was under $50 shipped.

Good luck in whatever you decide.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm open to other sources, Walther themselves in USA no longer supports P5 or other out of production guns with parts according to their website and www.e-gunparts.com doesn't show the part, but I imagine they might be able to get it if I contact them with the description. I'm not in a huge hurry to fix it so I have the luxury of time to look around and if anyone knows a good source I'm all ears. Thanks for your advice.

·
Premium Member
26,071 Posts
I'm open to other sources, Walther themselves in USA no longer supports P5 or other out of production guns with parts according to their website and www.e-gunparts.com doesn't show the part, but I imagine they might be able to get it if I contact them with the description. I'm not in a huge hurry to fix it so I have the luxury of time to look around and if anyone knows a good source I'm all ears. Thanks for your advice.
Here's the link for the Hogue grips that are designed specifically for the P5.

http://www.hogueinc.com/getgrip/merchant.ihtml?id=75&step=2

I'm very happy with them; the P5 is one of my favorite range guns, and these grips help to make it a true pleasure to shoot.

Nill makes a beautiful wooden grip for the P5, but they are quite a bit more: $164 and change for the target model, with thumb rest, and $142 and change for the replacement model. You can find Nill at:

http://www.nill-griffe.com/

Earl's site lists black plastic replacement grips for the P5 at $65 and the Nill walnut grips for $165; the walnut grips with the target, or thumb, rest are listed at $185.

Others will doubtless weigh in with suggestions. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
4,589 Posts
I would have to say that Nill's are the only choice on the P5c as Hogue does not make any for the P5c.... and the Nill wood grips are worth every penny ....
you can get these on special order from http://mactec-militaryarms.com/nill_grips.html

unless you would want to replace the grips with original Walther grips then you should get in contact with Earl

·
Premium Member
26,071 Posts
Uncut is correct; the Hogue grips that are made for the P5 are for the full model only, not the P5C. Nill does make grips for the compact model -- and they are, in fact, beautiful.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
All the grip panels I have seen for the p5c only replace the panels, not the separate backstrap piece. Anyone know of an aftermarket source for that part?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hi all, thanks for all of the replies, Earl's has it for $35, it doesn't seem so bad so I went ahead and got it. He said he sells one about every 3 years, not a very common problem, hopefully.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts