Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been shooting handguns since about 1971. I've been to hundreds of
gun stores and gun shows, but I've never seen a P-5 in person. Never held
one or ever been in the same room with one as far as I know. It goes without
saying that I've never fired one.

What type of action do they have? Is it straight blow-back like the PPK/S, or
does it have some type of delayed blow-back like the 1911's?

In what calibers are they produced? Anything besides 9mm?

The way you all are writing about them, I would guess that they are still in
production, just not marketed very well. Certainly not here in the southwest
U.S. anyway.

Hope I get to touch one someday! They sound like good firearms.

·
Premium Member
4,590 Posts
The P5 has a locked breech, it is DA/SA with a decocker only which also funtions as a slide release
made in 9x19, 9x21, and .30 Luger......
some of them came as a 3 barrel set and were serial #ed to the frame... but I have only seen one of these.... most where in 9mm and .30 Luger.......
.30 Luger were mostly made for export into Italy as civilians can't have 9mm ammo there......
You can find LNIB P5's on gunbroker for about $750.....
make sure you don't pay more than $500 for a police trade...which recently (within last year or so) flooded the market..... they have a BMI stamped in the left side on the slide and should have import markings infront of the triggerguard on the bottom of the frame.....
You can still get NIB through Earl's repairservice at a big premium ....
and yes it is one soft shooting gun... the recoil is amazing and for such a short barrel it is mazingly accurate....

Now there were some aftermarket .22lr conversions that came with slide, barrel and mags... but these were not made by Walther ..... they were used a police trainers in Germany and I have not seen one for sale in the US... but who knows maybe they are just in good hands.... again those would go for a premium as they were so scare....

hope that this helps

·
Premium Member
1,792 Posts
I found a used Police trade in for $450 in great shape... be picky and look and look at the photo. Uncut knows everything about Walthers!

photo - Happy Easter All!

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks

Thanks for the info. I'll add the P5 to the list of guns I need to try.

·
Registered
335 Posts

Well, here's my $429.00 SOG surplus Walther P5. It was advertised as "very good to excellent" and I think that a bit optomistic considering the obvious slide wear, but hey, SOG made the determination and opinions vary about such things I guess. When I sent SOG pictures of the wear they were quick to offer me a replacement and that's good customer service imo.. I declined as my P5 externally shows slide wear, but internally it was like new, and shot perfectly. I think perhaps my pistol was one of those "carried a lot, shot a little" deals.

Here's a picture of my surplus P1 and P5 to give you an idea of how they look in respect to each other. I consider both too large for reasonable cc, but they make great home/vehicle type pistols. I've read where the P5 was the replacement (and improvement) over the P38/P1's, but they share a lot in common, including the same recoil springs. Both of my pistols have been 100% reliable, accurate, and a pleasure to shoot.

I thought about having my P5 slide re-blued, but in reflection the slide wear adds a little character, and I think I'll just leave it alone.

Walther P5's are IMO very nice pistols. (As are the surplus P1's). Another surplus pistol I like is the Star BM.. I have one of those and it's like a mini 9mm 1911.. Sweet shooter. (Only cost $129 or so too..)

Heck, getcha one of those too!

Best Wishes,

J. Pomeroy

·
Registered
772 Posts
Hello PX15,
Fwiw and just in case you didn't know, "STAR" over at this forum, http://www.gunboards.com/forums/forum.asp?FORUM_ID=70 , can obtain almost any Star factory firearms' parts. If I have this correctly, he worked at the Star factory. I've purchased from him for my daily carry now, Star Ultrastar 9, and it was as hassle-free as purchasing from Numrich or other outfits.

Because I know how difficult it is to obtain parts for them here. At times, impossible.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Hello PX15,
Fwiw and just in case you didn't know, "STAR" over at this forum, http://www.gunboards.com/forums/forum.asp?FORUM_ID=70 , can obtain almost any Star factory firearms' parts. If I have this correctly, he worked at the Star factory. I've purchased from him for my daily carry now, Star Ultrastar 9, and it was as hassle-free as purchasing from Numrich or other outfits.

Because I know how difficult it is to obtain parts for them here. At times, impossible.
Thanks..
My Star BM is really a fun "plinker", and I don't shoot it a great deal. So far, (knock on wood) it hasn't given me one problem, and it's a pleasure to shoot. I did order an extra firing pin/recoil spring when I first got it, just in case, but so far it just keeps on a'tickin..

Best Wishes,

J. Pomeroy

·
Registered
75 Posts
The P5 is an exceptional pistol. It's accurate, well made and totally reliable. I own two and would buy another if I found once in exceptional condition. I shoot my P5s better than any other pistol I've owned. If you have a chance get one. I have a nice P1 and a P38, but prefer my P5s.

·
Registered
435 Posts
P5's seem to be getting scarce. The stock seems to be drying up and the prices are going up. It looks like very average looking P5's are going for $500+ now. I've been kind of waiting for a deal to come my way for awhile but I'm wondering if I've waited too long.

I was in contact with Mark from Summit Gunbroker a few days ago and asked if he carried P5's. He said he hasn't in awhile because he didn't think there was enough interest. I told him if he got some in at a reasonable price I'd definitely get one. He said he'd be checking to see if they were available.

Any other sources for reasonably priced P5s?

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
I picked up a NIB P5 last year or so for 550 plus shipping. Boy was I glad I did and it is one fantastic pistol...put some Nill grips on it and it will sure make your heart race and palms sweat just looking at it....:D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts