Walther Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I first learned of the P5 as a teenager in 1983. At a price of $1000 (over $2600 in 2018 dollars) I never expected to own one. We never know what the tide might bring, however; and I am now the proud owner of this pistol. I have been shooting and evaluating my example for several months now and am forming the impression it may be the ideal 9mm. It is of exceptional quality. Fit, finish, and materials appear to be superb. Functionality cannot be faulted. Mine has exhibited no malfunctions and accuracy exceeds that needed in a combat pistol. In addition, it is size appropriate. Many pistols chambered for this cartridge are larger than they need to be. Others are too small for practical and effective use. The P5 is ideally sized for the 9mm Parabellum cartridge. The pistol will almost fit in the palm of the hand, yet has sufficient mass and grip proportions to allow for effective use. Some might criticize the eight-round magazine capacity; but again, the P5 exhibits practicality by employing a slim, compact magazine that still exceeds a typical revolver capacity by 40% or more. Just today, I ran through a law enforcement qualification course with my P5. It outperformed every other pistol on the line, turning in a perfect score with the tightest group and no malfunctions. An outdated design? Not so’s I can tell.

·
Registered
2,781 Posts
Well said.

I knew about the P5 in the mid '80s, never held one until late July this year.

Here it is 3 months later, and I own six P5s.

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
I purchased mine in 84 new, just the one but it is my favorite pistol I own.

Reactions: ronin11

·
Registered
2,781 Posts
So THATS where they've all gone.......:eek:

Yes, NIB/NOS/+97% P5s seem to be gathering in the D/FW area of Texas.

Ol' Fart is helping in this trend.

I'm looking to grab #7 soon. It's in the works.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
While I admire the P5 and it's beauty, it is NOT the ideal 9mm sorry. At least not now.

Heavy Trigger and DA/SA (not ideal)
Limited capacity
Heavy weight
Not ideal sights

MANY currently available polymer double stack pistols are far superior. PPQ M1 leads the ideal pack. :)

·
Premium Member
1,482 Posts
While I admire the P5 and it's beauty, it is NOT the ideal 9mm sorry. At least not now.

Heavy Trigger and DA/SA (not ideal)
My P5 doesn't have a heavy DA trigger at all. I'd be perfectly happy if it was DAO. The P5 trigger is far superior to the Sig P225 (and that's my favorite Sig).

But I do agree that the P5 is far from the ideal 9mm pistol. For me that goes to the Glock 19 Gen4.

·
Registered
2,764 Posts
First off, let me say that I really like my P5, however, it is far from the ideal 9mm handgun. To put in the the ideal category it would need to be a double stack with 15 rounds on tap, because, lets face it, it's a large pistol for it's capacity. It would also need a far more durable frame, that can take the forces placed on it by today's heavy for caliber JHP self defense ammo and hold up for multiple tens of thousands of rounds, which the current P5 frame cannot do.

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
I would never carry my P5 for fear of messing it up. I shoot once in a while but carry the P99c or RAMI. Since I am not going into a war zone, I shouldn’t need more than 8 rounds anyway. But with my carry pistols I have 10 and 15 with the larger mags and sleeves.

·
Premium Member
13,914 Posts
First off, let me say that I really like my P5, however, it is far from the ideal 9mm handgun. To put in the the ideal category it would need to be a double stack with 15 rounds on tap, because, lets face it, it's a large pistol for it's capacity. It would also need a far more durable frame, that can take the forces placed on it by today's heavy for caliber JHP self defense ammo and hold up for multiple tens of thousands of rounds, which the current P5 frame cannot do.
First off, let me say that I really like my Volkswagen Beetle; however, it's far from an ideal car. To put it in the ideal category it would need to have an 6-foot trunk with room for 5 suitcases, and 4-wheel drive with hi-lo transfer case. Oh, and a 12-year/300,000 mile powertrain warranty.

M

·
Registered
2,781 Posts
First off, let me say that I really like my Volkswagen Beetle; however, it's far from an ideal car. To put it in the ideal category it would need to have an 6-foot trunk with room for 5 suitcases, and 4-wheel drive with hi-lo transfer case. Oh, and a 12-year/300,000 mile powertrain warranty.

M

Good point MGMike.

I used a 700hp Venom 550 '94 Viper as my daily driver for 8yrs and over 100k miles in Florida.

Was it the ideal tool for the job? No.

·
Registered
2,764 Posts
A 300,000 mile engine in a VW Type 1 would be an amazing feat. I get your point MGMike, you have to judge the P5, or an old VW, or any other older piece of hardware against it's contemporaries, and in it's day it was one of the better, if not the best among 9mm pistols.

Where I take exception is that many current owners see it as viable in a modern context. I happen not to, much as you would not expect an early (or any) VW Type 1 to cruise at modern freeway speeds, and be able to go 300K without the three or four engine rebuilds it would take to get that far.

Horses for courses as the Brits say.

·
Premium Member
13,914 Posts
My point was much simpler. As soon as you try to add a bunch of wish-list capabilities that cannot realistically be accommodated in an existing design, whether that design is old or new, you're really talking about designing a different gun.

M

·
Registered
2,764 Posts
Yeah, I know, but it's pretty to think about...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Why would a P5 not be viable in a modern context? Because it’s an older design? Is a SIG P225 still viable? A 1911? How about a double-action revolver?
There is nothing new about a Glock. Every feature on it dates back decades. The fact is any of the listed weapons, and many more, are fully up to service as a defensive handgun. It isn’t the gun; it’s the shooter that matters.
My original post was meant in a certain spirit. The P5 combines many attributes: performance, quality, fit, finish, size, style. The perfect pistol? Perhaps not. My personal favorite? No. But it does combine many qualities in a way that suggest an ideal.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts