Walther Forums banner
21 - 40 of 40 Posts
The short answer to what's wrong with carrying a P5 concealed is that's too fat, and doesn't conceal well.

M
Fatter than a USP series pistol? Fatter than a SIG-Sauer P220, P225, P225?

Fatter than a 1911? Fatter than a Glock?

Discussion starter · #24 · (Edited)
Does anyone have a pair of calipers to measure the width of the slide and height of a P5C? A Glock 26/27 is 1.18 inches wide and 4.17 inches tall, the single stack Glock 43 (9mm) is 1.02 inches wide and 4.26 inches tall.

I've only got 3 Glocks, and I use them for trotline weights. I'd provide the measurements for you, but my Glocks are all so corroded....caked up with mud and grime it'd be hard to get an accurate measurement.

I know that we're all built a little different and have different wardrobes, but dressing for the gun is imperative. Or said another way, finding a gun what you can carry that'll fit with ones body size/current wardrobe.

For ME, its no problem. I ALWAYS wear oversized loose fitting clothes....which simply frees me up to carry pretty much any pistol I choose. I carry full size pistols 99.9% of the time....I can even carry my PPQ with a 30 round mag IWB and NO ONE notices....YES, I can actually carry it comfortably. BUT, that's me.

A P5 or P5C is a jewel of a pistol....really shouldn't be a problem to carry.

Here's one of my Q's with 30 round mag. YES, I can really carry that....IWB, no less.

The P5 series are very wide in the slide. Much wider than a 1911 or a Glock.
And either one is far too large for it's meager capacity. Plus, it's a crap shoot if they will function with modern JHP self defense ammo.

If I'm going to carry a single stack, low capacity 9mm, I'm going to choose that capacity in a slim, tidy pistol that is easily carried.

Hence I'll carry my PPS.

And God forbid if the worst happened and it gets held as evidence for a protracted time, so what? A brand new PPS is one quarter the price of a P5, and can be had all day, every day at any gun shop or online retailer in the land.

If you are considering style, or status, or one-upsmanship for your carry gun, you are doing it wrong. CCW is serious, practical business, and a high dollar collector gun, that is quickly becoming irreplaceable has no place in that scenario.

I love my P5, it's a great hand gun, but I would no sooner carry it than I would one of my Webley revolvers, or my pre war PP, for all the reasons I stated above.

Reactions: GeoNole94
It is the same width as any classic P series SIG-Sauer. It's also narrower than a Beretta 92/96 and the same width as the Beretta 8000.

I could go on but my bar-b-q is getting cold.

29.82mm for the P5.

P5 for ccw

I have to throw in my 2 cents worth. I ccw a P5 for twenty years. Used an OWB holster w/a safety strap from Earls. The holster was the best. The belt tabs were off set so that the holster sat closer to the body. The ccw factor was not hard. Wear a lot of sweaters and sweat shirts. Used from Sept. -May. It was not good for summer wear.
Now for the left eject. If one has ever experienced a jamb with the P5 and is right handed, all you have to do is turn your gun hand to the left 90*, take your left hand and pull the slide back the bullet drops out. Try that with a right side eject. You can`t. You would have to switch hands to get the bullet out. Now your holding your gun in the left hand and you might not have your gun in the battery position fast enough to protect yourself. I love the left hand eject. As far as ccw between the P5 and the P5C...the P5c works better. Its has a different slide, there is no cutout on the sides its 3/4" shorter and the mag release is located on the left by the trigger guard instead of the heal of the grip on the P5.

I have to throw in my 2 cents worth. I ccw a P5 for twenty years. Used an OWB holster w/a safety strap from Earls. The holster was the best. The belt tabs were off set so that the holster sat closer to the body. The ccw factor was not hard. Wear a lot of sweaters and sweat shirts. Used from Sept. -May. It was not good for summer wear.
Now for the left eject. If one has ever experienced a jamb with the P5 and is right handed, all you have to do is turn your gun hand to the left 90*, take your left hand and pull the slide back the bullet drops out. Try that with a right side eject. You can`t. You would have to switch hands to get the bullet out. Now your holding your gun in the left hand and you might not have your gun in the battery position fast enough to protect yourself. I love the left hand eject. As far as ccw between the P5 and the P5C...the P5c works better. Its has a different slide, there is no cutout on the sides its 3/4" shorter and the mag release is located on the left by the trigger guard instead of the heal of the grip on the P5.
The left eject is a godsend. It’s naturally easier to clear malfunctions from the left side. No awkward tilting of your gun to see what’s going on.

I carry a P5C AIWB. Can’t even tell it’s there, even when sitting.

The left eject is a godsend. It’s naturally easier to clear malfunctions from the left side. No awkward tilting of your gun to see what’s going on.

I carry a P5C AIWB. Can’t even tell it’s there, even when sitting.

I know this thread is old, but I recently came across MASC holsters made in Turkey. They still offer various models for P5 and they are modern,leather, clip on/belt loop holsters with open tops and screw tension retention. I was on their website looking for something else and was kinda surprised they still had models for the P5.

Reviews I've seen on YouTube indicate good quality and they ship from Turkey in a few days.

While a left eject might facilitate easier clearing of malfunctions, it is a moot point for the flawless feed and eject history of the P5. IMO, the compact makes a bit more sense as a carry option owning to the reduced size, button mag release, and edge smoothing. Even then you would have to want to carry a classic low-capacity, all-metal, hammer-fired pistol versus a plastic wonder 9 ;)

Reactions: right of plumb
I carry a P5 when I "suit up". The slim spare mags are comfortable in formal wear.

The P5 Lange has been carried a few times too, as a Texas BBQ gun.

Attachments

I have two P-5s , a BMI and a commercial model ,I have carried the BMI owb in a holster made for it by the German Government in the winter . It covers ok with a sweater . I also have a P-5 Compact and have carried it a few times before also ,but I was worried the whole time about what might happen to it if I had to use it . They all shoot great ,I love to shoot them ,so much so ,that it is just not worth the risk of losing one .
If the world goes to **** ,they for sure would be on my hip ,the end game is survival in that scenario . I guess you could say that about ever time you go out , but for edc I carry a Sig P938 . It is smaller ,easier to conceal ,it carries the same number of shells as a P-5 and is way lighter ,and has a great pair of sights ,that I can always see even in the dark . The bottom line is if I have to use it and lose it it is easily replaced ,you can find them anywhere , and you just can't say that about the Walther P-5 or C .I love my firearms all of them ,but the 5's the best . Ayb

21 - 40 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.