Walther Forums banner

P5 or P5C for concealed carry?

10K views 39 replies 18 participants last post by  axyardbob 
#1 ·
Wanted to get the forum's straight opinion on the P5 or P5C. I've never fired one and don't recall even seeing one up close, so wanted to get some feedback. Trying to avoid an emotional decision, just base the decision on fact and feedback from people who actually have owned, fired, and carried a P5 or P5C.

Is there anyone on the forum who has actually carried a P5 or P5C concealed, and is there much difference between the two when carrying (anyone own both?)? Seems like the only difference is the length of the slide and barrel by about 1/2".

Anything in particular to look out for when buying a new or used P5/P5C?

Thanks

#3 ·
http://www.waltherforums.com/forum/p5/26819-holster-section-suggestions-p5-p5c.html

Here's the 'Sticky' for P5 & P5c holster options posted by members here. One of the supporting vendors here, Tucker Gun Leather, makes them for the P5. There may be other supporting vendors that make them also. Leather & a P5 or P5c is quite the match. IMO only: I'd stay away from the kydex holsters for either piece.

Magazines: get in touch with 'imaoldfart' (he's easy to find) and he can hook you up with both (or either) magazines for a P5 and/or P5c. I just got 3 for the P5 and they are superb in every way.

#5 ·
http://i1312.photobucket.com/albums/t529/tsull11/001_zps93deaa69.jpg

Here's a picture of a similar holster that searcher451 mentioned in his prior post. It's stamped Walther P5 on the back has a tension screw and a suede lining. I cannot say with 100% certainty that it came from Earl's, but I'm pretty sure it did. Very comfortable to wear, although not as concealable as some others that are available.

#10 ·
I'll keep my eyes open for a P5 locally, I never use the bidding type web sites, prices are so unpredictable.
Well, that cuts both ways, IMO. You get more opportunities for a bite at the apple on auction sites, and you can chose how much you do or don't want to pay. Yes, you accept some risk, but that can be minimized by doing your homework. You may also consider posting a 'want to buy' ad here on the Walther Forums. It is where I got my P5 almost three years ago, and I remain very pleased with the price and the transaction.

Reactions: ronin11
#9 ·
Look up Sickinger FBI Quick Draw holster on Google. You can order one from several shops in Germany or Austria. They are made in Austria and is a quality holster. Excellent craftsmanship. I would expect no less from Austria or Germany. I ordered from Holsterwelt.

I carry the P5 often. It's very comfortable in this holster as well as a Blade Tec IWB holster I have for it too.

I've never seen a Compact in person.

#11 ·
Gunny55: I have carried both on multiple occasions, (but not at the same time) and for me, what's the sense of having them if I can't carry and shoot them? As noted the P5c is more likely to be slightly more concealable, although a lot depends on the holster & belt combo, in addition to the proper covering garment.

Kinda off topic, but since the left eject was mentioned, I saw an ad for a P5 offered by Shoot Straight and in the description it said: "left side ejection, this pistol was designed for use by a driver of a vehicle and thus the left eject".

Does not sound correct, but the reason for the left eject (I don't think) has ever been adequately explained. At least that I know of. Not trying to take this thread in a different direction other than what was posed in the OP's 1st post regarding which is better for concealed carry.

#12 ·
Tim, I read that description on that auction, too. Sounds 'made up' to me ;) The P5 was based on the P38, which was a military design, not police. And why would anybody design a firearm around the direction of casing ejections to facilitate shooting by a driver? That said, I too have wondered about that anomaly for those two pistols. Perhaps Mike will be along to fill us in on the real story.

Reactions: ronin11
#13 ·
Since the tangent continues, I suppose I'll chime in. The discussion regarding the left-sided ejection from long ago pretty much summarized with the conclusion that the design was to prevent fouling of the ejection port during field use. Think about it: you've got your sidearm holstered, and are required to crawl under a fence, through mud, under obstacles, etc. If your holstered firearm had the ejection port located where pretty much every other pistol's is, you'd cram mud, grime and what-not all over (and into) the ejection port which could very well foul the action during a shot. The ejection port of P5 and the other rare left-ejecting pistols are protected by the wearer's hip and fully shielded from dirt if so exposed. Of course, this assumes right-handed operation.

-Pilotsteve

#14 ·
Personally I would never even consider a P5 for concealed carry or any other kind of self-defense carry (or self defense use at home, even.)

The reason being that, god forbid, I ever had to use it the danger of loosing it to law enforcement or to an over-zealous ADA is too great. My P5 is one of the most valuable guns I own (in terms of cash worth) and there are soooo many other equally good choices for carry that I would never consider risking it. The danger of not getting it back for years as a case drags out, or it getting "lost" in some property clerk's room, or banged around.....

My EDC is a S&W Shield in 9mm with 124 gr. Hydro Shoks. I had the full Apex package installed, night sights and Talon grips. There isn't much that's better IMO. (Some just as good, but nothing really better in 9mm.) My two alternatives are a S&W 908 and S&W model 60 2" .38 special.

Of course others with perhaps more disposable income or collections with pistols even better than a P5 might carry one...but I know I can't afford to risk it.

This is, clearly one person's opinion....ya pays your money and takes your chances.

#23 ·
Fatter than a USP series pistol? Fatter than a SIG-Sauer P220, P225, P225?

Fatter than a 1911? Fatter than a Glock?

#18 ·
I carry my P5 all the time. Why? It works for me: 1) it points naturally, 2) follow up shots are quick because of the low bore axis and soft recoil, 3) great trigger,and 4) it has proven to be reliable.

In terms of "concealment", the most important factor is grip length, then follows barrel length and then slide width. The P5 is slimmer than virtually all Sig pistols.

Magazine capacity is a non-issue for me since most firearm incidents occur at arms length, with 3 rounds fired in a space of 3 seconds. Rather than worry about mag swaps, I carry a PPK in an ankle or shoulder holster.

I carry my P5 OWB in a Garrett STX 2.0 http://www.waltherforums.com/forum/p5/43621-p5-new-holster.html Cheers!:)

#19 ·
searcher451: Thanks for the links regarding the left-eject. Enjoyed Warren Buxton's reply (post #10 in the 'ejection port' link). I had read (and 'liked') both threads in the past, but did not recall all the responses, including his.

Sorry if I was the one to temporally divert the OP's thread and questions.

#25 ·
I've only got 3 Glocks, and I use them for trotline weights. I'd provide the measurements for you, but my Glocks are all so corroded....caked up with mud and grime it'd be hard to get an accurate measurement.

I know that we're all built a little different and have different wardrobes, but dressing for the gun is imperative. Or said another way, finding a gun what you can carry that'll fit with ones body size/current wardrobe.

For ME, its no problem. I ALWAYS wear oversized loose fitting clothes....which simply frees me up to carry pretty much any pistol I choose. I carry full size pistols 99.9% of the time....I can even carry my PPQ with a 30 round mag IWB and NO ONE notices....YES, I can actually carry it comfortably. BUT, that's me.

A P5 or P5C is a jewel of a pistol....really shouldn't be a problem to carry.

Here's one of my Q's with 30 round mag. YES, I can really carry that....IWB, no less.

#26 ·
The P5 series are very wide in the slide. Much wider than a 1911 or a Glock.
And either one is far too large for it's meager capacity. Plus, it's a crap shoot if they will function with modern JHP self defense ammo.

If I'm going to carry a single stack, low capacity 9mm, I'm going to choose that capacity in a slim, tidy pistol that is easily carried.

Hence I'll carry my PPS.

And God forbid if the worst happened and it gets held as evidence for a protracted time, so what? A brand new PPS is one quarter the price of a P5, and can be had all day, every day at any gun shop or online retailer in the land.

If you are considering style, or status, or one-upsmanship for your carry gun, you are doing it wrong. CCW is serious, practical business, and a high dollar collector gun, that is quickly becoming irreplaceable has no place in that scenario.

I love my P5, it's a great hand gun, but I would no sooner carry it than I would one of my Webley revolvers, or my pre war PP, for all the reasons I stated above.

Reactions: GeoNole94
#27 ·
It is the same width as any classic P series SIG-Sauer. It's also narrower than a Beretta 92/96 and the same width as the Beretta 8000.

I could go on but my bar-b-q is getting cold.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.