Walther Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have recently stumbled upon the Walther P5 pistols and am wanting to purchase one. Any ideas which is the better gun overall (p5 or p5 compact)? I have my CCW and would possibly carry concealed with this gun. Im not sure if the extra cost is worth the small difference in size.

·
Premium Member
4,589 Posts
If I had to do it over again, I would wait and get the P5c.....
I love my P5 and think the P5c is sexier than the P5. However my P5 isn't going anywhere :D

·
Premium Member
26,071 Posts
Good choice of guns ... the P5 is a wonderful firearm, highly accurate and reliable. The compact model would definitely be easier to conceal, though these tend to be hard to find and more expensive when you do locate one. The matter of holster availability also comes into play with the P5; it's not near as popular a model as, say, the PPK.

You would benefit from being able to handle and examine both guns to get a feel for their relative size, weight, heft. Ideal would be to shoot them both to see if one responds to your hand better than the other. It's doubtful that the local range has a sample of each ready to rent, so you may have to make connections with some Walther lover in your general neighborhood who would have one of each and agree to meet you for some test-firing exercises. Difficult thought this may be, one thing is certain: It would be well worth the trouble. The P5, simply put, is an amazing firearm. Good luck in your search.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I would go for a P5. You can buy a police trade in trade in P5 at a reasonable price. I wouldn't pay $1k and subject a pistol to holster wear and CCW abuse, but I would certainly shoot it a bunch.
Also, the P5C is barely smaller than the P5, but it does have an American style mag release.
Just my two cents.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Forgot to add that I do have a P5 currently, but I still want a P5C very badly. I just picked up a P1, so that will have to hold me over until I have enough money for a P5C.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
If you have the money and want quality, I would pay the $1000 and get the P5c for carry. If you are looking for around $500, get a surplus P5 and send the slide in to have it coated with a durable finish. The p5c's have a kind of coating on them and hold up better, where as the used P5's have standard blueing which is usually worn off from holster wear.

Here is a comparison of mine:

The P5c has alot more rounded edges and is way more comfortable to carry.

·
Registered
254 Posts
P5s are all over the place these days. The P5c, on the other hand, is much scarcer. And, if your choice for CCW was between the P5 and the P5c, then the answer is the P5c.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Ditto to what parabellum said. I've owned a couple of each model and much prefer the P5C, which I currently own. Just saw a P5C for sale on The High Road forum. Box, 3 mags and a Kramer IWB holster for....are you sitting down?....$700.00! Sold very quickly, of course. An exceptional deal for some lucky soul.
DRC

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the info. If I did carry the gun concealed it would only be a few times a year. I have looked into other carry guns, but nothing really has the appeal that the p5C does. I searched some local gun shops but have yet to find any walther p5's or p5c's. This may just have to be something I purchase before I try/see in person. Any ideas of places to purchase one of these online? I have seen a few on gunbroker but thats about it. If I wanted to purchase a new p5C, does anybody still sell them?

·
Premium Member
26,071 Posts
Earl sells the P5 for $1,095 and the P5C for $1,195. Extra magazines are another $79 or so.

http://www.carlwalther.com/p5.htm

The P5 is readily available and easily found at a variety of sources; most of the ones you see are police trade-ins and run under $500. Ones that are sold as NIB can be found at the various auction and listing sites and range in price from $800 and up. The P5C is much more difficult to find, and the prices that you see online approach Earl's.

·
Premium Member
13,914 Posts
I had occasion quite recently to conduct an experiment of firing a P5 and a P5C alternately each magazine, for perhaps 100 rounds, about 6 mags each. Very surprised to find that the P5C had less muzzle whip and was noticeably faster on recovery for the 2d shot, just opposite of what I had expected. Don't know why. Other differences are insignificant, unless you're a nut for side-mounted mag releases (I'm not, and actually prefer the bottom release of the P5), or unless you are worried about terminal velocity. The P5 with standard ammo is ballistically about the same as the P5C with +P, and that means it's cheaper to shoot and lasts longer.

In the end, a lot should have to do with how one or the other feels in YOUR hand.

M

1 - 13 of 13 Posts