Walther Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got lucky. Numrich Gun Parts is a site I use for parts and often check for things. Last week I was looking at P5 parts and found they had P5 mags in stock. Well, one, anyway. I tries to buy all they had, but they only had one in stock.

Not a bad idea to keep looking for rare parts.

Attachments

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have had a few from there as well, years ago. Just nice to see them over here, every once in a while.

·
Registered
2,759 Posts
Got two deliveries today, one from Numrich, two new Mec-Gar 8 round Nickel plated mags for the 1900 Am Eagle DWM/Martz Luger.

I don't want to shoot a 120 year old gun with what appears to be the original mag.

The other delivery was ANOTHER Explorer pistol case, also for the Luger.

·
Registered
2,759 Posts
......Why?

I had concerns the spring steel has lost significant tension. My concerns were warranted, loading the new mags requires almost twice the force vs the old 1900 mag.

EDIT; A secondary concern was the fact that an inadvertent mag release would likely cause the destruction of the vintage 1900 mags wood base. There will be several people shooting this when it goes to the range, an ounce of prevention.....

·
Registered
22 Posts
I bought two used P5 mags from Earl’s repair service, but I found that Numrich has mag base plates and bodies. Seems like it would be easy enough to just add the guts from a P1 mag and modify the follower just a little to make a complete P5 magazine.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
I bought two used P5 mags from Earl’s repair service, but I found that Numrich has mag base plates and bodies. Seems like it would be easy enough to just add the guts from a P1 mag and modify the follower just a little to make a complete P5 magazine.
Why not just modify the complete P1/P38 magazine or change the mag release out? The main difference that I see with the follower is the tab of the slide stop and for the P1 mag body it is just that it is 3 millimeters longer. Using a P1/P38 magazine release will take any wobble out.

https://www.waltherforums.com/forum/p5/26837-p38-p5-magazine-conversion-thread-4.html

·
Registered
3,259 Posts
Pilotsteve posted a description or video on modifying P38 mags for his P5, and at one time volunteered to do this for people. Maybe elsewhere in Andy’s same link.

BTW, have we had any Steve Sightings recently? He has been scarce since he became a moderator a couple years ago, especially on the P5 forum.

·
Registered
2,759 Posts
IIRC, PilotSteve was an active participant in the Forum shoot day thread last year. This was the last time I saw his posts.

Some of his posts made me purchase my first P5.

·
Registered
3,259 Posts
Yep, and you can see a quote by Steve in my sig line. My guess is that being a mod took the fun out of it for Steve.

·
Premium Member
13,914 Posts
Pilotsteve modified some P38 magazines mostly as a lark to see if it could be successfully done. He very professionally milled a slot in the lower spine of the magazine to accept the P5 mag catch. All it needed then was a O-ring (or a spacer) above the floorplate to prevent over-insertion; removal of the O-ring allowed it to still function perfectly in a P38.

And yes, I think he got jaded by rashly agreeing to moderate.

M

·
Registered
22 Posts
Speaking of mags, has anyone seen the video on YouTube where the guy changes the mag catch out for a P1 catch? I don’t plan to do this, but I’m curious, anyone else do this?

·
Premium Member
13,914 Posts
Speaking of mags, has anyone seen the video on YouTube where the guy changes the mag catch out for a P1 catch? ...
It can be done, but the problem of over-insertion remains to be dealt with.
Without a positive stop, the magazine is free to be pushed upward and foul the ejector, drag on the underside of the slide, and possibly bend the feed lips.

M

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
It can be done, but the problem of over-insertion remains to be dealt with.
Without a positive stop, the magazine is free to be pushed upward and foul the ejector, drag on the underside of the slide, and possibly bend the feed lips.

M
Over insertion can be addressed by adding a stop of only 3 mm. That could be easily added on the mag body or front tab of the floor plate.

However, the prices of P1 magazines are climbing upwards steadily with surplus sources diminished now and whether it really is still making sense at current prices, is doubtful.

I have one SIG P-210 that has the mag release moved to the side and had contemplated changing a very used post war P38 mag over to use it as a range mag in the P210-6. P210 mags start at $125 and I am reluctant to cut them up for the mag release.

·
Premium Member
13,914 Posts
However, the prices of P1 magazines are climbing upwards steadily with surplus sources diminished now and whether it really is still making sense at current prices, is doubtful.

One can buy practically new original P38/P1 magazines all day long for $20-25, and well-used ones as cheaply as $10.

You can't touch P5 mags for that, and P210 magazines are in a different universe.

M

·
Registered
2,759 Posts
One can buy practically new original P38/P1 magazines all day long for $20-25, and well-used ones as cheaply as $10.

You can't touch P5 mags for that, and P210 magazines are in a different universe.

M
I grabbed 3 slightly used P5 mags (function great, and came with 3 new Wolf springs in packages) for $100 (including shipping) off GB last year.

Some GB sellers undervalue items and list with the "buy now" option. Gotta be quick on those listings.

The HK P7M13 mags are the pricey mags in my collection, $150-$200 used, $250-$300+ new. I got lucky, received 4 used mags with the M13 shooter, and 4 new mags with the M13 safe queen.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts