Walther Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Does anyone here carry his/her P5 CCW? How and in which holster? With which ammo? What are your experiences with P5 CCW versus other compact design? Is the relative thickness of the Walther any indrance?

Here in Switzerland, CCW is mostly a fantasm as carry permits are not given to civilians unless you can prove a very serious need. In reality, people working in security business or with connections (lawyers, politics) only get these permits. That restrictive policy does not hinder some shootings, especially from people (ex-yougoslavian, turks) who are strictly forbidden to own weapons...

Lot of questions to promote some discussions...

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I do not like IWB holsters very much, so prefer the Kramer horsehide MSP Paddle holster when I can carry a gun outside of pants. Obviously, this has to be worn under a jacket or a very loose, very long shirt that is not tucked in.

Alternatively, I like Milt Sparks IWB holster. The P5/P5C carries as well as S&W 3953, which I also like, and about the same as any other single stack 9mm. For any such gun, besides comfort, the biggest difficulty is avoiding the gun butt outline showing under the shirt.

Although one has to be very careful doing so, in recent years I have found carrying a gun "off body" to be effective, especially if it is something like home-car-work and back. There are nice leather "purses" for men that can be carried in the hand. Again, this can be very risky, and is a really bad idea in any circumstance where there is much chance of a "purse snatch."

There are also small camera cases that can be discreetly carried over the shoulder, on the waist, or in one's hand. At least where I live, very few people would even notice a bag that says "Lowepro" on it.

I also like some other waist-belt "holsters" (aka fanny bags) but finding one that isn't easily spotted as a gun can be difficult. I know in my former work, most any such bag was assumed to hold a gun until convinced otherwise. I think it is funny to see many cops walking around with waist bags big enough for their sig or glock or whatever, and with an obviously blocky item inside, and yet they think they aren't obviously armed.

A Kahr is easier to carry, and I have one that semms to be reliable, but I increasingly do not trust the reliability of Kahrs.

Preferred ammo for me is Winchester Ranger T 147 gr, Ranger T 124 gr, and Federal Tactical Bonded 124 gr.

Maybe this will get some discussion going?

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank very much you jdw,

Even if CCW is mostly prohibited here, I'm interested to know on your experiences as the P5 is my favorite, over P225, Beretta 92 Compact and Glock 26. And I have opportunities to train with an ex-cop who works now as a bodyguard and security man, both in-door in a range and outdoor in a derelict industrial facility.

Bye.

·
Premium Member
159 Posts
I'll also chime in for the Kramer MSP Paddle Holster in Horsehide. I have this model for several of my CCW pistols, including a P5, and it is by far the most comfortable yet easy to access holster I have used.

Highly recommended.

·
Patron
211 Posts
In a "pinch" you can also use the issued German Police holster, just take the lower (holster) portion off from the upper (hanger) and it can clip right to your belt.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Laurent:

Well, like most P5 threads, this one died pretty quickly.

I am a little bit familiar with gun restrictions for civilians in some countries, but not in Switzerland. How easy is it to buy and own handguns in Switzerland? Are there caliber and ammo-type restrictions?

Seems to me when I was last there most of the law enforcement types were carrying the Sig P225, is that still the case?

What are the most popular handguns there, if you know?

What is the usual price range for a P5 and how common are they?

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hello jdw,

Switzerland is still liberal on gun acquisition. There are basically 2 ways to buy a handgun or a rifle.

If you go to a handler, you have to produce a buying licence. Everyone has the right to get this licence, provided he is older than 18, he isn't psychological insane or he hasn't been condemned. The licence is given to people established in Switzerland for 5 years at least. People from ex-Yougoslavia and Turkei are not allowed to buy weapons.

When you ask for your licence, you have to produce a federal certificate stating that you weren't condemned before, you must precise also which type of weapon you want to buy (pistol or rifle). Some local authorities are more picky than others and will ask you to declare exactly what you want (type, caliber, maker, lengh of barrel, color, number...). In doubt, the autority may enquire about you and/or ask for a certificate from a psychologist.

The certificate may be given for up to 3 weapons. It costs 50 francs (about 35 $).

The other way is much easier: it is the transaction between civilians. A legal owner can legally sell his weapon to somebody, provided that the buyer is allowed to own it (18 years old, law-abiding, sane, established for 5 years...). The seller must controll that these conditions are fulled and pass a written contract with the buyer. The contact must conserved during 10 years by both parts.

This second way is very convenient, but some misuses has been made for the last years: some owners have sold weapons to a good price with no control on the buyer. Now the governement want to forbide this business and the "gray market" that results.

About restrictions: machine guns are not allowed. Provided you get a special collector licence. Depending on the local authority, this permit is more or less difficult to get. You are not allowed to shoot your collector items for fun, only for study/scientific reasons.

About ammo: no caliber restriction but FMJ only.

Police guns: till the 90s, policemen carried mostly P225. P228 have taken over since. Some polices have adopted Glock 19 recently. SIG Pro is also on the lists now.

The P5 is not common here, due to the popularity of SIGs. You see some (German) police trade-in go for 700-800 francs (600 dollars).

Bye.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I carry a P-5c CCW and I use a High Noon Mod.Tail Gate Holster.
Ammo... Federal Hidroshock 115gr, one round in the pipe but the first round in magazine always a FMJ ( don't know why but sometimes the first JHP on the magazine makes my P-5 to jam ) .

1 - 8 of 8 Posts