Walther Forums banner
21 - 40 of 43 Posts
Discussion starter · #21 ·
Mein König, could you perhaps weigh the long P5 barrel for your humble servant? I am very curious to see how much a difference between the standard model and the treasure you've somehow come to acquire. Plus, I am secretly curious to see if it really is worth its weight in gold!

Almosen, Sire?

-Pilotsteve
For you my friend 2 Pics with weight ... dif = 48,49 g :)

Thank you, mein König. You have gone out of your way to fulfill a question of one of your humble admirers, and we've learned some good information in the process. At least the barrel is not quite worth it's weight in gold. Platinum, maybe!

-Pilotsteve

My very first post on this forum and in fact one of the main reasons I joined was a WTB ad for a P5 extended barrel back in 2007. I collect HK P7 series pistols and German pistols in general and always wanted a P5. Problem is living in Canada all guns with barrel length under 105mm are prohibited. After seeing a photo P5 with a longer barrel I figured it would be no problem to find one .... little did I know! After many years of searching I was finally able to add a P5 Lang to the collection. While reading this thread I saw TANFOGLIOs P5 Lang pistol #076 and that put a smile on my face. Here is its long lost sister, now living Canada, note the number.

Received a pn from Maxim, asking for help with identifying his pistols number - and reading this thread I apologize already before for putting my answer into the thread itself. I'm very sure that also User Tanfoglio will be happy about this...

By checking the official WALTHER manufacturing papers (which I don't have here, I have to forward the request to Ulm*) I've got the data of these two P5:

These two pistols belonged to a batch of 17, produced at the 31st january 1989 (No. 072 - 088). No. 076 was finished and send to the gunsmith Knappworst in Braunschweig/germany at the 3rd february 1989, the very same day No. 077 was send (and of course sold before...) to Alljagd in Lippstadt/germany. Alljagd is one of the bigger full service wholesalers here, with more than 90 shops all over germany and also catalogues and mail-order (today it would be called online-shop...). So both guns were separated, and there is no hint, how and when they went abroad and to whom in the next step. But I'm sure it clears the fog a bit...

*) my remark was to explain, why this helping look into the books will surely be an exception, just to give something back to this excellent forum! These searches keep some people busy in the Walther company for some hours (in fact it's just one most valuable person, and we need him for other jobs, too...)

Thank you Ulrich for your time! Im sure I speak for all of us when I say its a pleasure and honor to have you here and participating in the forums. And no need to apologize for public answer, kein problem. If I may ask further:

1. Do you have any idea how many total complete P5 Lang pistols (not including conversion units) were built?

2. Were mine and Tangs from the last batch manufactured (#88 being the last) or where there further P5 Lang pistols past #88?

Danke!
Max.

....I would be very interested to see how much that long P5 barrel weighs because I highly suspect we're approaching it's value in solid gold at that price......it really is worth it's weight in gold.........-Pilotsteve

With todays gold price (38.60 USD per g), the weight of a P5 Lang barrel (198.13 g) would have a value of $7650 in gold.

I guess Earl qualifies as a "precious metal" dealer with his $6k barrel price.

Reactions: GeoNole94
Tanfoglio is my idle. [snip] I think he's got at least 'one' or more of every firearm ever made.
I asked this elsewhere a couple of months ago, but does anybody know what happened to Tanfoglio? He posted photos of newly-acquired unicorns like clockwork for years and then...

I asked this elsewhere a couple of months ago, but does anybody know what happened to Tanfoglio? He posted photos of newly-acquired unicorns like clockwork for years and then...

I've wondered the same thing,

Three years ago, Tanfoglio posted several times about the Chiappa Rhino, then disappeared.

With the barrel being $6000.00 from Earl's, the question needs to be asked.

What would a +95% condition P5 Lang go for, if one were to be located?

In my few weeks hunting/researching P5s, it seems Walther produced 100 barrels, and around 80 complete guns.

EDIT; This might be like asking how much a newborn Unicorn weighs, nobody really knows.

After a week with no input on a complete P5 Lang value, I guess all I can do is extrapolate the Earls barrel price from over 6 years ago (198.13g=$6,000.00, therefore $30.28 per gr.) to achieve a rough "Earls price" for a complete P5 Lang.

The complete P5 Lang weighs 845g, putting the price around $25,590.00. With a 2% annual price increase for inflation (I would bet this is below Earls "Rare Walther" annual price increases), the price would be around $28,700.00.

Reactions: imaoldfart
21 - 40 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.