Walther Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I though I'd post an update since I've had my Johann Uhl P5 .22 Conversion Kit for close to a year now. Let me say that I"ve enjoyed it immensely! It goes out shooting every time I head to the range. Since I cleared up an initial problem with the magazines, the kit has run flawlessly with CCI Standard Velocity ammo. The craftsmanship and design never cease to amaze me. I can highly recommend one to any P5 aficianado who does not suffer from sticker shock.

I enjoy it so much, I may just have to sell my P-38 .22.

Mike Smith/Alpharetta, GA

·
Registered
52 Posts
AtlMike,
Where did you find it?
Will it fit the (your) compact P5?
How much was it in price? Give me the sticker shock.

Thanks,
General Sherman

PS. I have a conversion kit for mid sized Glocks but it is far from flawless. However, it has been a good training tool for teaching beginners to use a Glock.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sherman,

I got it from these guys:

http://www.kaehny.de/export/export.htm

I had contacted the comapny that manufactures the unit (Johann Uhl) and asked if I could purchase one directly from them. They replied that under German law, they could not export the kit. They told me that if I came to Germany, or knew someone in Germany, I/they could walk in off the street, buy the unit cash and carry, and export it themselves.
I found one of the units being auctioned by Kaehny on Gunbroker.com. I didn't think I'd ever find another, so I bid on it (the only bidder), and got it for $650.00 (I believe). Since then, another fellow has bought one from Kaehny, so they are still available. The kit uses modified P-38 .22 magazines, but they are not cut for the compact mag release. I seem to recall trying it on your compact, and it hung off the front of the frame a bit and looked a little awkward. It's a really beautifully made kit, and I highly recommend one for anyone with a full size P5.

Mike

·
Registered
2 Posts
Atlmike,

Any chance of you posting some pics of the conversion?

I have never seen one and I am sure there are others here that would be interested also.

Thanks

{Update}

After a little searching I was able to find the J. Uhl website and a photo of the conversion.

The website mentions something about a "recoil amplifier". Is that similar to the floating chamber used in the Colt Ace conversion??

·
Registered
28 Posts
I liked mine so much that I bought another for the P5C as well.  They are identical in overall length, so I at first though I'd received the wrong kit when I got the P5C version.  Underneath, they are somewhat different.  The cutout that fits into the recess in the frame is the different part.  The P5 version will not lock onto the P5C frame.

I had some feeding problems with my P5 kit, and I still continue have problems with its not wanting to eject the final round.

Overall very pleased though.  It's an ingenious product.  The gas-regulated recoil is cool.

Would you mind posting the web site?  I never sould find it...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts