Walther Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just picked up a P38 mfg date 10/61 matching numbers on all except one of the mags

trying to get a range of value, good condition bright bore

and also link to manual

thanks

·
Registered
260 Posts
I would be surprised at a matching mag for a postwar P38. Otherwise, without pictures it would be hard to give a good estimate, 400-600 maybe as a good shooter. Many factors such as who used it before, import markings or no, reworked with heavy slide/hex pin or not, etc. all come into play. Pics!

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
I'm somewhat certain Walther quit matching mags to guns halfway through 1942.

I have a PDF of the P.38 manual somewhere. I'll look tomorrow.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yep the one mag has the same last three serial number digits on it

I did locate a manual on line

Thanks

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
the date and serial numbers on the mag are the same as all the ones on the gun. Id say he was desperate or maybe I got lucky. Its 57 years old, I’m 66, I can’t see any overstep marks, I’ll take the luck and leave it at that. It makes a better story

·
Registered
8 Posts
If it’s dated 61 it’s a p1. I bought one that was sold as a p38 with double zeros to start my serial # which means it’s a Russian post war gun but lower receiver is aluminum and has a date of 10/59 which makes it a refurbed to a P1. Same exact gun but redistributed. The value on even a poor P38/P1 is around 600.00. A good from ww2 or just after the war can run up to 1500.00. Great fun to have. I actually carry mine. I’d you can find a used Ruger P89 holster they fit perfect for a belt carry.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts