Walther Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a 1941 Walther P38 w/a rig along with capture papers. The document is extremely beat up (I hope to get it preserved, any recommendations?) and I investiged the GI who was in Africa during WW2 and in the Army AC, which I assume is Air Crew. The rig has a name and a serial # scratched into it, and it was then attempted to be rubbed out. Any chance I can trace the serial # and who that owner was? Does it look German or American? Serial # is 30084A. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
1,476 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

I'm not sure that you're reading the serial number correctly (if that's indeed what it is). The second digit is usually a 1-9 and I've never heard of one having a letter suffix. Even if you have an accurate reading of it, the warehouse that housed the US Army's personnel records had a fire in 1973 that destoyed 80 percent of the records from 1912-1960.

Could you show us some pictures capture papers ?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Welcome to the forum.

I'm not sure that you're reading the serial number correctly (if that's indeed what it is). The second digit is usually a 1-9 and I've never heard of one having a letter suffix. Even if you have an accurate reading of it, the warehouse that housed the US Army's personnel records had a fire in 1973 that destoyed 80 percent of the records from 1912-1960.

Could you show us some pictures capture papers ?
Could it be the German owners serial #?
...Damn fire.

·
Premium Member
1,476 Posts
Army air Corp.
That was my first though too but the capture document is dated September 1945 and the Army Air Corp became the Army Air Force in March 1942. Would they have still been using the obsolete nomenclature that late ?

Could it be the German owners serial #?
I don't think so. Writing your name and serial number on personal property seems to have been an American habit. The name and number in the holster may have belonged the original GI who got it before he traded it off or lost it in a poker game.

On the capture papers the number after Major Nicholas's name is his Army serial number.

The ac/41 on the slide is a code meaning that your pistol was made in 1941 at Walther's factory in Zella-Mehlis, Thuringia. They produced around 220,000 P.38's there that year. On the capture document it was incorrectly incorporated as part of the serial number.

Is the spare magazine in the holster pouch present ? Is there a serial number stamped on either magazine bottom ? I'd like to see pics of any markings on the magazines.

You've got a pretty cool rig there.

·
Registered
41 Posts

moot, apparently, but for the curious my father flew transports in the Himalayas from 1944 to 1945 in the army air corp.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Not a perfect match on the mag but in in the same production series "7XXXf"! Nice rig.
Interesting that it says he obtained it in North Africa.\
I'm working on getting a P.38 ("byf44") from an estate that is in gorgeous condition with 2 mags (not serialized at that point in the war) with nice holster and paperwork too. Not easy to find something like these type of rigs - good find

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Any chance to identify the rig?
I was able to locate the vet with the bring back papers. Died in the 90s. I also got to view some of his commendations. The rig smells like it lived in a smokers home, but not a bad smell. It’s fun to make up stories in your mind on what these war weapons experienced and who depended on them with their lives. And, the pride they were shown off or possibly hid away as a treasure from their youth in war. Amazing stuff.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
That was my first though too but the capture document is dated September 1945 and the Army Air Corp became the Army Air Force in March 1942. Would they have still been using the obsolete nomenclature that late ?
What was going on in Africa that late in 1945? Was the war in Africa over in ‘43?

·
Registered
255 Posts
What was going on in Africa that late in 1945? Was the war in Africa over in ‘43?
We still had military there, bombers, fighters, supports and transports, etc. based in Libya and Algiers for example. 451st Bombardment Wing, guys who flew over Ploesti, or Axis targets in Yugoslavia,... HOWEVER, the statement says he picked it up there, but not WHEN. He could have picked it up in 1943 or 1944 and had it with him, until he prepared to return to the US.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
The makers make for the holster was usually stamped on the outside between the belt loops. If it's still visible we'll need a clear picture of it.
The striking is so light, I can’t determine the maker’s mark. I wondered if there was design differences between years/makers. No big deal. I can see the eagle and the WaA and the outline of a letter here and there.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts