Walther Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I received this gun after a death in the family. I have been researching it, and attempting to determine its value. I have been able to determine it is a P38 from Spreewerk. Manufactured Nov 1943.

It appears to me to be in good condition, but i dont know much about older guns. I know the import marks can detract from the value, but i see none on this gun. I know being re-blued can detract from the value. This doesn't appear to be re-blued to me, but insight on that would be greatly appreciated!

The magazine has an eagle 359 stamp while the other pieces have an eagle 88 stamp.. from what i can tell this may still be original to the gun. Is there anything else that i am missing that may add or detract from the value?

I am interested in selling it, but want to learn more about it first. I am seeing these priced 800-1000 without matching numbers, with import marks, etc... so i assume (if this is what i believe it is) would be valued over 1000?

I tried to take a picture of every marking i could find. If any additional pictures would be helpful, please let me know. I appreciate your time and expertise!

https://imgur.com/a/joS62UR

·
Registered
321 Posts
You have done the research, I think you are spot on with the background and condition for which Spreewerk was known. Yes, the mag is a Walther-made one, which is why the WaA number is different. Most of the time, it seems Spreewerk pistols had jvd marked mags, although there was chaos in those days and it isn't something you would pay a lot of attention to as a user at the time. Selling price depends on how bad the buyer wants it, but I would think 600-900 would be more to be expected unless you can add anything like a holster, bringback paper, etc. If you sell it here you may get close to that, but if you take it to a brick-and-mortar shop, there is a loss of a bit as they have overhead. My opinions only!

·
Registered
396 Posts
I do not believe that pistol has been reblued. Spreewerk is the least sought-after of the three wartime manufacturers; however folks wanting to complete their collections will still want one in excellent original condition. Prices however all over the place with P.38s as well as virtually all other WW2-era martial arms. Listing it on Gunbroker with excellent pictures like those you provided will likely net maximum value, which could be anywhere from $1100 to $1400 or more depending on how badly someone else wants it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts