Walther Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy. I recently picked up a 1968 P38. I kind of think it came from Germany through a person, and not an importer. There is no import stamp anywhere. The serial number matching box has no wording on it, other than the seal with the serial number. The date is NOT on the right hand side of the slide. The 68 is on the upper left side of the trigger guard, below the frame serial number. If it has been fired, it’s not much. Everything is fairly nice with very, very few handling marks.
Now, after that introduction, are my questions. The two blued magazines also appear unused. They are marked P1, and I don’t know if it was common to get P1 mags with a P38, or P38 mags with a P1, or the mags should always match the pistol.
On other P38s with the date (e.g.) 4/64 on the slide, I see the magazines are also date stamped 4/64 on the spine. What is the “norm” regarding dates on the magazines? Expected, only certain varieties of models, or rare??

·
Registered
3,424 Posts
P1 is the military version of the commercial P38. Walther used and delivered what was actually on stock, because it was the same part. So a P38 w. P1 mags is quite common. Commercial P38 had never a dated mag.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you. I do have another question as to why my slide doesn’t appear to be typical. Should I be excited (rare) or deeply concerned (fake)? I will attempt to add pictures, but my slide doesn’t have the waffenfabrik ulm/do on it. And mentioned in the first post, the slide isn’t date stamped, but the frame, slide and locking block numbers match.

·
Registered
3,424 Posts
To me your gun seems to be a time correct, 'normal' commercial P38 ;)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts