Walther Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dad bought this in 1952 for 15 dollars. He has recently given me this. It's sat in a shoebox for decades. It has the German markings and a 359 on it it. Not sure what the h is. All four main pieces match numbers. Is this something I can go shoot or should I lock it up for bragging rights.

Attachments

·
Registered
298 Posts
As a family heirloom it has some value, although that varies according to the holder. I assume there is no wartime story with it, given how your father explained getting it.

It looks like a refinished piece (slide anyway). Walther made it, but which year it was made could be lost due to the polishing, better knowledge may be able to deduce the range. Can you see a stacked 'ac41', 42' or '43', or a one-line ac43 or ac44 on the same side and just before the slide serial number? The 'h' is actually part of the serial number, as these were made in lot series. 10000 per letter suffix, so 'h' indicates that it would have been made in either Oct 41, Sep 42, Aug 43, or Aug 44.

As far as a collector piece, the refinishing did away with that. As far as shooting, it ought to be inspected first and know that there is a risk of damage to be concerned with (safety).

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for the info, in just the right light and my most powerful magnifying glass I can barely make out a 42 next too the P38 marking. So you helped me out as I had no idea where to look.
Next question. The safety is jammed in the on position. With slide off the frame and all its parts functions properly. The hammer cocks pull the trigger it fires. With the Slide on, hammer won't cock. I have not taken the slide apart as of yet. I'm sure somebody has dealt with this already.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts