Walther Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
* P38 6-inch Long Barrel Special Edition (1988)

Recently obtained from an estate

According to D.H. Marshall in « Walther Pistols Models 1 Through P99 », a small number of sixty P38 (numbered 001-060) were produced in 1988, with longer barrels : 41 have a six-inch barrel, 19 have a seven-inch barrel.

NOTE: According to Redcat94: The new serial number range goes from 001 to 073 with 41 having 6" barrels and 32 having 7" barrels.

Here’s serial number « 013 ». Condition is almost new.
It came with an extra mag, plus documents, namely the factory target test, a sale bill in Tilburg (Netherlands), and the previous registration certificate.
Characteristics of serial number "013": 6-inch barrel, steel frame, 9mm Luger caliber.

I could not find much info about this special edition on the web, and I’m looking for more, being also interested in its relative value on the market.

For your appreciation, fellow collectors

Bruno

Attachments

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
......also interested in its relative value on the market.......

Dare to dream Bruno.

You'll have a better chance of getting an answer to a question like, "how many angels fit on the head of a pin?".

I tried to establish a P5 Lang US rough value a few weeks ago on this forum, I've also spent a few months searching all things P5 Lang online, no closer to establishing a rough value in the US market. Got a SLIGHT idea of European values.

Hope you have better luck then me.

Reactions: bruno38

·
Registered
5 Posts
I would like to find a long barrel P38, but hardly ever see them.
I'm looking for a serial number list for post war P38's. Serial numbers produced during each year. This may be the wrong question for this thread, I'm new but would appreciate someone pointing me in the right direction. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
1,519 Posts
That's a beautiful P38 bruno. Is that a trigger stop I see in the frame ? I wonder if it has any other enhancements.

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
That's a beautiful P38 bruno. Is that a trigger stop I see in the frame ? I wonder if it has any other enhancements.

Good eye.

I would be interested in knowing all the upgrades too.

The adjustable trigger stop is a nice addition.

·
Premium Member
1,519 Posts
Recently obtained from an estate

According to D.H. Marshall in « Walther Pistols Models 1 Through P99 », a small number of sixty P38 (numbered 001-060) were produced in 1988, with longer barrels : 41 have a six-inch barrel, 19 have a seven-inch barrel.
You may want to pick up a copy of his third edition "Walther Pistols Models 1 to PPX". I was just checking my copy to see if he gives any additional details on upgrades. He doesn't mention any but does gives revised production totals for the P38 Lange. The new serial number range goes from 001 to 073 with 41 having 6" barrels and 32 having 7" barrels.

Still very rare any way you look at it and fewer produced than even the P5 Lange. I'm jealous.

I'm looking for a serial number list for post war P38's. Serial numbers produced during each year.
The closest you're going to find will be in Dieter Marschall's book. Every Walther collector should have a copy.

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
.......... fewer produced than even the P5 Lange. I'm jealous.........

Not by that much.

From all the info I've read on the P5 Lange, a total of 88 serial #s were used in the P5 Lange barrel/slide production run, interspersed in these 88 serial #s were approx 20 "change units", these left Ulm WITHOUT frames and were intended to be swapped onto existing P5 frames.

This would mean only around 68 COMPLETE guns left Ulm. The serial # on a P5 Lange in NO WAY reflects how many complete guns were produced before it. It ONLY defines how many barrel/slide assemblies have been produced.

A few of these "change units" are what Earl's has for sale at around $6,000.

·
Premium Member
1,786 Posts
A quick lesson in German language: "Eine P5 langer Lauf ist eine lange Pistole, denn sie hat einen langen Lauf. Sie wird auch P5 lang oder kurz P5L genannt, denn sie ist länger als die normale P5. Wenn jemand zwei lange P5 hat, dann hat er zwei P5L."

Alles unklar? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
WOW, translates to....."A P5 long run is a long pistol, because it has a long run. It is also called P5 long or short P5L, because it is longer than the normal P5. If someone has two long P5, then he has two P5L. " Everything is unclear?"

I guess the answer is yes, certainly.

Everything IS unclear!

Damn, I don't know if I just got shot, f***ed, powderburned, or snake bit.

Reactions: Balogh

·
Registered
5 Posts
You may want to pick up a copy of his third edition "Walther Pistols Models 1 to PPX". I was just checking my copy to see if he gives any additional details on upgrades. He doesn't mention any but does gives revised production totals for the P38 Lange. The new serial number range goes from 001 to 073 with 41 having 6" barrels and 32 having 7" barrels.

Still very rare any way you look at it and fewer produced than even the P5 Lange. I'm jealous.

The closest you're going to find will be in Dieter Marschall's book. Every Walther collector should have a copy.
Thank you, Redcat94 - I have just ordered the new edition from Legacy Collectibles also.
The Dieter Marschall's book I saw on Amazon was anywhere from $400 > $4000! crazy.
I should be on the right track with the new edition from LC.

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
Sometimes, the German language and Polka probably shatter the nerves. But in my heart... I know I'm funny. ;)

I actually re-read that German statement on long/short production runs vs long/short barrel lengths several more times this morning, I understand it this morning.

I find many German statements lack flow when translated to English. It's a difficult language to understand.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts