Walther Forums banner
21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,026 Posts
From 1977 onwards, the year of the proof test was always coded, as on the left side of the frame with HH = 77, 1977. Behind the alleged sign of the Munich proof house, however, 77 is a number and not a code. Strange, isn't it?
It isn't strange. Just look at other guns that were proofed in Munich like this ERMA:

Excerpt from the "Allgemeine Verordnung zum Beschussgesetz (Beschussverordnung - BeschussV)":

·
Registered
262 Posts
It isn't strange. Just look at other guns that were proofed in Munich like this ERMA:
View attachment 99658

Excerpt from the "Allgemeine Verordnung zum Beschussgesetz (Beschussverordnung - BeschussV)":
View attachment 99659
Thanks for your answer. Until now I assumed that from 1977 the year was always coded. But as in most life, there is always an exception. In your example, the year is also in a coat of arms. Was probably a peculiarity of the Munich proof house. It is now clear that Munich proof marks are on the slide of the P38k in question.

·
Registered
3,672 Posts
I would though about a bulged out barrel f.e. Btw.: Tested several proof houses myself. They did what they liked to do (ref. to date or no date).

als PS auf Deutsch: Ich habe selbst schon in Ulm, München, Mellrichstadt, Köln und Eckernförde (nach-)beschießen lassen. Es bleibt (blieb, soll sich ändern) dem Beschussamt überlassen, wie sie da handeln woll(t)en. Ich halte die verlinkte Waffe für nachbeschossen, wobei ich nicht weiß, wer und warum ;)

·
Registered
262 Posts
After digressing to "proof mark or not" back to the actual topic.
Since I still have many old volumes of the German weapons magazine "Deutsches Waffenjournal", I took the trouble to look for the Frankonia advertisements in 1987 with the P38k with two barrels in 9mm Luger and 7.65 Luger.
In fact, I found them. They started in April 1987 and ended in July 1987. The two attached pictures show the advertisement from June 1987, the month in which I bought my P38k. The advertisements were basically the same every month, but they all differed slightly.
The prices are of course in D-Marks. Those were the days when you compare them to today's ... :cool:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Wow, a svw45 P.38 was 575 DM (~ 300 Euro or 350 Dollar), at the same time the P38-K was 945 DM (nearly 500 Euro or 600 Dollar).

·
Registered
3,146 Posts
A few years later the P5 Cat 1062 9Para/7.65Para were selling (to US military members stationed in Germany) for around 400 Euro ($515 US).

My NIB P5 twin barrel example was purchased by an Army Sgt. in Nov of '92.
Ansbach AFB is about 1 hr north of ULM IIRC.

This is one of the four new condition P5s in my Walther collection.

·
Registered
3,146 Posts
Good catch👍
England was on the Euro in '92.
I believe German switched in the early '00.

·
Registered
3,672 Posts
Late 90's in Germany ;). Great Britain (incl. England) remained in their own currency until today.

·
Registered
3,146 Posts
I recalled the adoption of the Exchange Rate Mechanism (ERM) back in the early '90s. Didn't realize they never adopted the Euro.
Never been there or done business in that region of Europe.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
The Euro has been introduced 1st January 1999 unofficially since the first cash money was introduced 1st January 2002. As mentioned UK never adopted the Euro, nor did all European Union countries adopt it - only 19 countries adopted it.

·
Registered
3,672 Posts
The Euro has been introduced ... since the first cash money was introduced 1st January 2002.
Got my first Euros in 'real' end of 1999 in Germany and also in Austria...

21 - 32 of 32 Posts