Walther Forums banner

P38 Inquiry

2K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  Dkeas1 
#1 ·
Hello! I’m new to this group so please forgive me until I have the feel of how to go about posting in forums and get the etiquette down pat. Where would I inquire about the potential value of a P38 ac 41? Thanks!

#2 ·
Welcome- much depends on condition and completeness; accessories such as mags and holster play a role. There are several variants of the ac41 which was when Walther stopped the high-polish finish to transition to wartime finishes. Sometimes this can be told through the serial number, but all of these can only be helped by posting images of the weapon!

#4 ·
Looks nice so far, finish looks reasonably good for the age. Too bad the pictures did not include the safety area, as this is often an indicator of postwar treatment, plus this is, in the production history, just before the change from 14 to 15 grooves. Assuming it is not import marked and/or a Russian 'dip' (done to captured P38s as a preservative measure after the war), some factors to look for next include having the same serial number on the barrel, the last three serial digits on the locking block, and E/359 on smaller parts such as the trigger, trigger bar, and hammer, among others. This one may also have a special shaped sear (aka horseshoe sear) which won't be seen unless the grips are removed. It looks to be one of the first generation ac41s, and would be called an NLS as it does not have a letter suffix to the serial. The magazine should also have the same serial numbers on the toe bottom to be considered matching, otherwise they may only be contemporary at best. The case and cleaning tool you mention are not normally an accessory, unless you really meant holster?

A nice piece to have, I can only recommend searching ac41 in this forum and also looking into the P38forum.com as they go way into the subvariants and have a wealth of data on P38s in particular.

To go into value may be too subjective for the images you posted but I would think that if it checks out as all original and complete, it could be 1200-1500. My opinion only, as a buyer may pay more or less based on desire and how it checks out.

#5 ·
@matthanne

Thank you, that was very insightful and helpful. Yes, I did mean "holster" not the case. Do you have any suggestions for places in Wisconsin whether it's antique and/or gun collectors or stores that I could contact and bring the gun and accessories to for further evaluation?

#6 ·
What are the intentions of establishing value, insurance or sale?

If the intent is insurance, 3 to 4k should cover it.

If the intent is sale, list it with a reputable firearm auction house. They will assess, appraise and define the details of the gun. The fee and premium of the auction house will MORE then be covered by the increased sale price of this item in a reputable auction.

#8 ·
If it's all original, +90 condition, and not re-blued, $1500 is not out of line.

I've had the dis-pleasure of handling several AC-41 ~ AC-43 P38s that were heavily pitted prior to re-blue, and priced ~$1500.

It's what drove me to buying up "fair priced" P5s (seven in 14 weeks).

#9 ·
Thank you, everyone! It belonged to my uncle, a WWII vet who passed away at 97 years old last August, 2017. My 90 year old aunt showed it to me when I visited her recently and told me a short story about it but since nothing was in writing from my uncle, she doesn't recall many details. She did say that my uncle had been in charge of watching over some of the wounded German soldiers and the gun came from one who had passed. My aunt was interested in the value and some history on the gun, but plans to keep it in the family if possible. I'm sure he was buried with so many more interesting stories and likely, she has a ton more of memorabilia, both valuable and priceless :) Thanks again for all the knowledgeable feedback.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.