Walther Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #1
A few weeks ago I picked up a 1973 P38 chambered in 7,65 mm Parabellum or .30 Luger. According to Dieter's book only around 5000 P38's were made in this caliber. Its got an Interarms import logo on the right side of the slide. I doubt that many were imported into the US.

Its previous owner got some use out of it. The finish on the frame has the usual wear from cycling the slide and rotating the disassembly lever. There are also a few spots of light corrosion on the right side of the slide (which I assume came from the blood of the high ranking nazi officer it was taken off of ;) ). It came with two 7,65 mm marked magazines but nothing else. I replaced the plastic grips with some wooden ones and installed a set of Von Stavenhagen sights.

Today I finally got to shoot it. I brought fifty rounds each of Fiocchi and Prvi Partizan, both in 93gr FMJ. After reading MG Mike's post about his experience with these brands I was eager to see how my new toy would like them. The Fiocchi was first. Recoil was mild and noticeably lighter than 9mm. I didn't keep track of all the malfunctions but there were probably twelve to fifteen failures to eject. The open top of the P38 slide was a big help in clearing these. I also had several failures to feed but I suspect that may have been a magazine problem.

Next was the Prvi Partizan. Fifty rounds, no malfunctions ! Recoil was a little heavier. I used both magazines but by this point was only loading six rounds into them and had no feeding problems. Accuracy at seven yards was the same as my other P38's. Next time I'll try it at 50'. I'm very pleased with this addition to my collection.

Attachments

Registered
Interesting. It has the "Fat Slide" yet is missing the "Hex-bolt" in the frame? Probably doesn't need it shooting 7.65.

Nice shooter.

Premium Member
...Fiocchi was first. ... there were probably twelve to fifteen failures to eject. ... I also had several failures to feed but I suspect that may have been a magazine problem.

...[/QUOTE]

More likely the failures to feed were also due to the Fiocchi, which has a noticeably shorter OAL than Privi; i.e., the bullet is seated much deeper in the case neck and thus is not comfortably inside the chamber mouth before the rim pops loose from the feed lips.

Maybe there's a 7.65mm pistol that Fiocchi works in, but I haven't found it. It's just awful.

M

Registered
...Fiocchi was first. ... there were probably twelve to fifteen failures to eject. ... I also had several failures to feed but I suspect that may have been a magazine problem.

More likely the failures to feed were also due to the Fiocchi, which has a noticeably shorter OAL than Privi; i.e., the bullet is seated much deeper in the case neck and thus is not comfortably inside the chamber mouth before the rim pops loose from the feed lips.

Maybe there's a 7.65mm pistol that Fiocchi works in, but I haven't found it. It's just awful

Something to bear in mind is 7.65mm was loaded a wee bit hotter in Europe
same is true of 9mm up into the late 70s
another was the Euro loading for 7.63 Mauser

I'm new, 1st post but grew up with these rounds back in the late 60s & forward

Much of the reliability issues that became legendary with P08s had to do with rather weak American spec pressures. Many years ago Navy Arms brought in a lot of Czech 9mm pressured for their SMGs. That was cracking slides on Browning P35s and was recalled

I had an Artillery P08 that just loved that fodder

Bought a 7.65mm P38 from a character who had picked it up in Italy while he was stationed there
came with close to 500 rounds of ammo he bought there
was a snotty little shooter with Euro ammo
all sorts of functional issues with what little American ammo I was able to run down
it took decades for America to start to load 9mm to potential which was largely due to civil liability concerns

same reason most off the shelf .45-70 is loaded to black powder pressure ranges. Just too many Trapdoor Springfields out there

With the 7.65 the best bet is handloading

1 - 5 of 5 Posts