Walther Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Not WW2, postwar. The slide marking style and the fact that it lists Ulm as the factory (instead of the wartime plant at Zella Mehlis). More might be said if there was a pic of the otehr side, acceptance stamps and/or a better resolution to see what serial range you have.

Walther did make P38s after WW2, up to the 1960s I believe.

·
Registered
467 Posts
The photo's resolution is too low for me to read it, but there is the Ulm antler proof with the year on the left front trigger guard. That'll tell you when it was made. At least the grip frame.

·
Premium Member
1,440 Posts
What can you experts tell me about this gun.

Looks to be WW2.
It would help if we had better pics. The frame is definitely post WWII. It has the fat slide which itself is post 1967.

Walther did make P38s after WW2, up to the 1960s I believe.
The P38 was in production up through 1997.[/QUOTE]

·
Premium Member
1,440 Posts
Serial number is 337217
That would put it between 1967 and 1975. But as Absalom has already mentioned the year it was proofed in will be right next to the antler on the left front of the trigger guard.

·
Premium Member
1,440 Posts
What’s the gun worth? Anyone have a range?
A lot depends on condition but for a commercial P38 in 9mm made between 1967 and 1975 anywhere from $400 to $800. More if it has a steel frame or high polish finish. Is this one you're looking to buy ?

·
Registered
467 Posts
Just came across a 348xxx with a 1972 stamp, so this one is likely a 1970/71 vintage. Seems to be a standard brushed alloy frame. Redcat's price range is probably realistic; for me more toward the lower end, 500/600 max.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts