Walther Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
I just got a pretty much mint condition P38 in box with cleaning tool, manual and two magazines. Can somebody tell me more about it? I am more into collecting MP40s, so my knowledge is rather limited on this gun other than me handling this pistol during my military time in Germany.

·
Premium Member
6,228 Posts
Awesome, mpforty. It's a beauty and looks just like mine... these are wonderful pistols that are a lot of fun at the range, and completely viable for trusted defensive purposes. My P.38 is utterly reliable and has never failed me once over many thousand rounds fired. The same cannot be said for any other pistol in my collection.

What do you want to know about it? There's a whole world of information available to you within the pages of this forum or the sister site, P.38 forums. Seek, and you shall find.

-Pilotsteve

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for the tip. I will scout through the forum to find out more.

·
Premium Member
6,722 Posts
That's another variation of an Eagle/N 1968 commercial P38/P1. The slide is the German military P38 type used until P1 slides were phased in starting in 1963. Like most of the '68 commercial models yours has the Walther Circle/Dot QA inspection standard stamp and thin slide. It's the first 1968 commercial export model I've seen with this particular roll stamp. I wasn't aware that Pilotsteve had one too.
Could you please take a photo with the slide retracted so we can see the marking on the barrel? Commercial models usually have a Walther banner while military/police have a three or four digit serial number.

·
Premium Member
6,228 Posts
Mine is a 1962 build. Here's a close-up of the slide, with the acceptance proofs. Grrr you can also see the only blemish to the otherwise pristine bluing. What oaf handled her before I took posession?

"Thin" slide, no hex pin, alloy frame. Mine is a testbed for why Walther modified the design, but as of this writing shows no signs of trouble whatsoever. I've pretty much shot nothing but Winchester white box or Remington 115 grain range ball through it (no green box UMC scheiße, though). I don't think I'm going to have any problems but will be the first to let you know if I do!

Seriously though. Leave the manhood-augmenting +P+ stuff on the shelf with your vintage P.38 and I'll bet you 99.5% of them will outlast all of us. And no Russian junk (Tulammo/Wolf) either.

-Pilotsteve

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Could you please take a photo with the slide retracted so we can see the marking on the barrel? Commercial models usually have a Walther banner while military/police have a three or four digit serial number.
I will do so beginning of next week.

·
Premium Member
6,722 Posts
Steve...your P38 appears to be a milittary type (possibly BMI) while mpforty has a 1968 commercial export model. I'd like to have one of each of yours. The 1968 commercials and their military/police versions make nice sets.

·
Banned
7,055 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
...and the other side.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,722 Posts
I'd say that it would have been a military model. That's one of the '68 commercial export model slide variations I haven't found yet and yours is a beautiful example... :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts