Walther Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was given this p38 by my father who was given it by his grandfather I don’t know much about it and neither does he it’s got German markings on it and on the left says p38 cyq serial 2327 z it has 2 magazines and holster that is on terrible condition just curious to know what anyone can tell me about it

Attachments

·
Registered
270 Posts
Nice family heirloom! Made about the beginning of February 1945 by the Spreewerk plant in Czechoslovakia, but barely had time for issue before capture. Mags look modern, the holster is done.

·
Registered
7 Posts
These Spreewerk pistols have become increasingly collectible, I have one made in July '43.
The late war ones, like yours, are especially interesting.
There is actually a lot of information and history to be looked into.

I strongly suggest that before you consider shooting it, please learn as much as possible.

Go to p38forum.com and sign up. Plan on taking more pictures in natural daylight, so the finish and markings can be seen better.
Photographs of both sides, front of the barrel, lock the slide back to get the marks on each side of the barrel also. There might be a mark under the left grip by the top of the frame. So take a shot of that spot.

The magazines, if original would have tiny marks low on the back spine and possibly on the left side. If so, get pics of that too.

Thanks for showing off your pistol!!! The holster is still cool despite its condition. I don't know what to think of it.
The grips on the pistol appear to be aftermarket?
Paul

·
Registered
7 Posts
Pate,
In the meantime, until you learn more, you might as well unload those magazines.

If your heirloom is an "all matching" example, in descent condition, you should not shoot it much, if at all. You risk breaking one of the parts which will ruin any value it may have.

There are lots of threads discussing the shooting of these old guns and why it is not it is not recommended. Please study that carefully!

You should also learn how to field strip it, so a detailed inspection, cleaning and lubricating can be done. Don't remove the cover from the top of the slide! Just learn how to separate the slide and barrel from the frame and how to put it back together again, for now.
Learn how to check the functions of the safety / decocker lever. Do not do this with a loaded gun !!!

The decocker is not to be trusted! Decocking a loaded old p.38 is considered unsafe and a chambered round could go off. Testing that function with live ammo must only be done with the expectation that the pistol will shoot!
Time to learn about your old pistol rather than shoot it!

A lot of us have refitted our old p.38's frames with p1slides, locking blocks and sometimes barrels too, so they can shot without risking damage to the original slides. There is plenty of good advice out there on how to do that.
Maybe even better if you want to shoot a p.38, is to just buy a p1 (read up on those too) and shoot that.
Paul

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Pate,
In the meantime, until you learn more, you might as well unload those magazines.

If your heirloom is an "all matching" example, in descent condition, you should not shoot it much, if at all. You risk breaking one of the parts which will ruin any value it may have.

There are lots of threads discussing the shooting of these old guns and why it is not it is not recommended. Please study that carefully!

You should also learn how to field strip it, so a detailed inspection, cleaning and lubricating can be done. Don't remove the cover from the top of the slide! Just learn how to separate the slide and barrel from the frame and how to put it back together again, for now.
Learn how to check the functions of the safety / decocker lever. Do not do this with a loaded gun !!!

The decocker is not to be trusted! Decocking a loaded old p.38 is considered unsafe and a chambered round could go off. Testing that function with live ammo must only be done with the expectation that the pistol will shoot!
Time to learn about your old pistol rather than shoot it!

A lot of us have refitted our old p.38's frames with p1slides, locking blocks and sometimes barrels too, so they can shot without risking damage to the original slides. There is plenty of good advice out there on how to do that.
Maybe even better if you want to shoot a p.38, is to just buy a p1 (read up on those too) and shoot that.
Paul
thank you all I appreciate it

1 - 5 of 5 Posts