Walther Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can somebody tell me a little more about this gun?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
It is a 1942 P.38 with an Acceptance Stamp and it looks like a period correct holster. Do you have anymore photo's to share?

Reactions: Absalom

·
Registered
577 Posts
Nice job on the close-ups. I wish everyone asking questions here would get the markings photographed as sharp and clear.

Some pics of the entire gun and holster would indeed be nice.

The maker of the holster per the gcx code:
Ing. Karl Brettschneider, Hermann-Göring-Strasse 20, Mährisch-Schönberg. It was in the Sudetengau (if you were German) or occupied Czechoslovakia (if you were not) ;)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
It is a 1942 P.38 with an Acceptance Stamp and it looks like a period correct holster. Do you have anymore photo's to share?
Absolutely! Here you go. Also, can you say what branch this was issued to?

Attachments

·
Registered
321 Posts
Nice pictures and find! Military P38s were not marked for other end users like PP and PPKs could be (as such were contracted by those agencies), excepting some made for the Polizei. Once accepted by the military, the P38s were put into the military supply system and went their way. No way to trace a particular unit or branch. Maybe, if you found a soldbuch with an entry, you could see so-and-so was issued one.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
The stories that Old Man could tell.

·
Registered
577 Posts
.... Also, can you say what branch this was issued to?
As Matthanne has pointed out, there is no definite way to find out unless you happen to have documented provenance with a pistol.

Just in terms of statistical probability, the branch this pistol was issued to was the Heer (army), which got most of these. The initial name of the P38 was actually HP for Heerespistole (army pistol).

In general, battlefield pistols (as opposed to officers’ private-purchase personal pistols usually in 7.65mm) were part of the unit’s inventory and issued to soldiers only as long as they were with the unit. But in contrast to WW I, when unit markings were not uncommon, by WW II these were generally not used in the Wehrmacht.

·
Registered
505 Posts
It seems, if I am interpreting your closeups correctly, that there appears to be a bit of corrosion just in the beginning stages. I would clean and get some oil on it, before it amounts to something. Just an observation, great gun.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks guys

·
Premium Member
8,669 Posts
It is a very nice pistol indeed.

If you are considering shooting it I would replace the grips with reproductions to prevent further damage as the bakelite resin grips can be brittle with age.

I use a set of wooden Grips4U when I shoot my P.38s just to be on the safe side.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts