Walther Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Any news out there about Walther coming out with anything that will resemble the P365?

Many would say that the PPS is Walther's competitor to the Sigp365.

The Sig, on paper, seems to have the advantage.

Greater capacity (2-4 rounds more, depending on magazine in the PPS)
Smaller size (both in height and length)
Lighter weight
Standard night sights
Has accessory rail (although the M1/classic has the rail as well)

But that doesn't tell the whole story. Many folks find the PPS to be a better shooter... a lot of that falls into the size and type of sights on the weapon. A bigger gun is generally easier to shoot than a smaller one.

My opinion... you are unlikely to see a 'sub-compact' or single stack 9mm smaller than the PPS coming from Walther.

I, personally, would like to see Walther take a shot at a micro .380 to compete with the LCP, LCP2, Bodyguard, TCP style weapons.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I have no idea if Walther has anything like the P365 in the works, but I have been intrigued by the P365 although I carry a PPS M2 regularly and doubt I would switch to the P365 because I like my PPS a lot.

I would like to see Walther make a more direct competitor to the P365. Very similar in size to the PPS, but with a slightly wider grip and the extra capacity. Put a standard rail on the front, which the PPS lacks, and a trigger that feels very similar to the PPQ. Maybe make them optic ready like the new P365 XL with mounting plates with smaller optics like the Shield RMSC in mind.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Many would say that the PPS is Walther's competitor to the Sigp365.
I own both. Carried the PPS M1 for 3+ years. Really happy with the PPS. But, there is no comparison between the two. My PPS is now for sale.

If Walther does come out with something that truly does compete with the P365, I will give it a look. Just don't know how the P365 can be improved upon. Could not be happier with everything about the P365. Especially after adding a Hogue grip which really makes it a soft shooter.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I actually traded my p365 off for a p2000. I hated that gun (p365). It was too small for my grip. Had zero luck trying to drop a magazine. Had to completely readjust my grip to get them mags to fall free and then had to shake the gun. The reliability issues just scares me and I did experience Barrell peening and scratches all over the magazines from the internal spring scratching the side of the mags. I simply didn’t trust the gun and couldn’t operate it well. Sitting next to me right now as a matter of fact is my second favorite edc my Walther PPS M1. I put some Trijicon HD’s on it. Love that gun.

·
Super Moderator
7,317 Posts
It would be surprising if the P365 doesn't generate a great deal of competition; it is a high bar to reach.
Moon

Reactions: Minister1955

·
Registered
360 Posts
Not sure if posting a link to another forum is proper but you might want to head over to SigTalk and search the thread “P365 has failed“ and do some reading directly from a few Sig and P365 owners. I own both, shot both and just like all things comparing one firearm to another, it’s largely a personal decision. It’s a popular gun for sure but Sig itself is popular and Ive owned many and still do.

Still, my choice is the PPS M2 just because it fits my hand really well. Just like my M&P Shield did before it. For carry, combining it with a Clinger Holster, it disappears, it’s comfortable and light. And I echo the previous comment about not being able to drop and switch mags very well on the P365. Im not concerned about the extra few rounds. I think it’s cool that Sig figured out how to do it. But if ever comes the day I need more than what my PPS carries plus what I have in a spare mag, then I’m in deep doo doo and probably was in a place I shouldn’t have been in the first place.

·
Super Moderator
7,317 Posts
I followed the drama with the P365, and waited for the dust to settle, and the guns to become actually available.
Our little group of shooters (5) now all have one; they're running fine, and showing no signs of the early problems.
The G42 had teething issues as well, but the old stories continued to circulate long after the problems were addressed.
Moon

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
People still believe Pintos were prone to bursting into flames, over 40 years after 60 Minutes rigged them with explosives for their fauxcumentary.

·
Registered
9,831 Posts
I've only handled a 365 in a gun shop and I was pretty disappointed. The grip is small, and I have small hands. Felt like a deck of cards. Sharp corners. The trigger was terrible...I realize this was a new in box pistol, not cleaned, not lubed, not fired....still, I'd pass just on the way the pistol felt in my hand. I'm sure Walther could easily adapt the mag/grip to hold 10 rounds on something like a PPS. I carry a Shield these days. Slim, fits my hand, the manual safety is just right. With an extra mag....I have as many rounds as I hope i never need. Perhaps if Walther designed the frame for the 365 and made it just a smidge larger. 1917

·
Registered
45 Posts
The Pinto's explosivity was vastly overstated (no worse than other Fords, or other cars of that segment and era).

Plus news programs got busted many times for rigging sensational reports:

"It Didn't Start With Dateline NBC" (National Review 6/21/93)
Lying media is nothing new, but the Pinto did have a design that made it particularly easy to puncture its own gas tank on it's differential when rear ended, where other cars didn't. My mom had one, was rear-ended at low speed, and gasoline leaked out. Obviously they don't explode on contact like in the movie Top Secret!

Didn't mean to be off topic, sorry.

·
Super Moderator
9,923 Posts
I heard they are on the endangered species list!

I've been seeing that as long as I've been on Walther Forums. We even had a running joke here about it being the biannual "The P99 is Dead" thread.

·
Registered
11 Posts
When I was researching for single gun to replace both my SD9VE and Lc9S I rented several pistols including the P365, Shield 9, and other popular guns. I test fired all the guns with the same ammo, targets, and distance. I was most accurate with the PPS M2. I attributed that to three things: 1) ergonomics, 2) weight, 3) recoil control. I think the slightly larger size and weight coupled with a grip design that invites proper hand position were, taken together, the contributing factors to the better recoil performance.

In trained on the M1911. I never felt disadvantages by the 7 round capacity, and it is not difficult to practice and become competent at fast magazine changing.

So I think the PPS M2 is as good a EDC SD pistol as any on the market. Walther would do better to improve the marketing of the PPS M2 that bring out another gun. The gun gets rave reviews in print and the serious and reliable gun tester on YT really praise it. Walther has not exploited that.

·
Premium Member
3,395 Posts
I've been seeing that as long as I've been on Walther Forums. We even had a running joke here about it being the biannual "The P99 is Dead" thread.
Note that was in reference to your comment re the "C" model. The "C" is no longer on Germany's site or catalog and it is available in small quantity(?) once a year in NA.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts