Walther Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
OK I admit I am a wuss, which is why I wanted the Walther. It was small, it was perfect for my hand size and I read several places that it was great for women.
I put one round in it and wow is that thing loud!
I'm used to shooting a Marlin bolt action, so this was quite a shock to me. :eek:

I will definitely need a suppressor. Do you think that will help? Any recommendations. I saw the Bitty but it's $300.

Also was I supposed to take the screw cap off, and what is this stuff that is in the bag with the tiny wrench? (Thank goodness there is an internet where I can go to ask questions)

Thanks,
Cheryl

·
Registered
672 Posts
Shooting a .22 rifle is much quieter than a pistol due mostly to the longer barrel. Should not be too bad if you’re wearing ear protection. If you’re talking about the removable tip of the barrel then no you do not want to remove it unless you’re installing a silencer. In the bag may be alternate front sites, and an alternate back strap for the grip for customization.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Shooting a .22 rifle is much quieter than a pistol due mostly to the longer barrel. Should not be too bad if you’re wearing ear protection. If you’re talking about the removable tip of the barrel then no you do not want to remove it unless you’re installing a silencer. In the bag may be alternate front sites, and an alternate back strap for the grip for customization.
There is an internal threaded nut :confused: plus two sights. (I watched an unboxing and they say it's a barrel nut but what is it for?)
How do I know which is the small and which is the large back strap? (The video also said the small comes on the gun, so good I don't have to change it)

·
Registered
9,900 Posts
.22 pistols are very loud....way beyond permanently ear damaging loud. Never fire one without ear protection and eye protection. The P22 is in the upper 150 db range. A good suppressor will drop the sound level down into the 115 db to 120 db. A 9mm pistol, a .40, a .45, a .308 rifle are all in the same noise range as a short barrel .22. In other words.....loud.

The short term solution and most common one is inexpensive foam ear plugs that you roll up, insert into the ear and let them expand. Then there are foam filled cups that fit over your ears. The cup material must be soft so that it fits closely against your skull. No hard plastic. Some shooters use both at the same time. BTW, a short barrel anything is loud. I find Leighting 33 db reduction headphone cups are the quietest. You can get them at Academy. Each brand will have the db reduction on it.

Suppressors are class III items and are a bit of a pain to acquire. First you have to pick one out...there are reviews. The SilencerCo Sparrow is a good one. Make sure you get one that is easily disassembled for cleaning.

The thread on the end of many barrels is not compatible with the threads on a suppressor...so, you have to install a $20 thread adapter. On the P22 the barrel nut holds the barrel tight against the frame and barrel sleeve. Basically, that nut is what holds the barrel on. You have to remove it and then install an adapter that fits the barrel but also fits a common thread used by suppressor manufacturers for .22s. You then screw the suppressor on the new threads. When you are not using the suppressor you will receive a screw on cap, called a thread protector to cover what would otherwise be bare threads.

The process for purchase is to find one you like. I caught the SS Sparrow on sale at Ky Gun Co for half price and ordered one. It cannot be shipped to you or to just any gun shop. It must go to one that handles class III items....basically machine guns and suppressors. There is a $200 Federal tax stamp you will have to pay for, the paperwork to the Feds will have to have all manner of information about you including finger prints if I remember correctly and the serial number off the suppressor you purchase. The gun shop will hold the suppressor until the tax stamp arrives....some 9 months later. The gun shop will also charge $100 to $150 for all the paperwork and transactions. There are a couple of methods of ownership....one method is that you own it, you must be present and with a copy of your tax stamp at all times when you or others fire it. You cannot loan it out. Another is to set up a trust with a few people names on it. All of this information is readily available but suppressors are not legal in all States. Check to make sure one is in IN. They are a lot of trouble to get due to the length of time but they sure are nice. Too bad you just can't purchase one. I'd put on on everything I own if it were simple.

In the meantime....foam ear plugs, ear protection cups and eye protection. 1917

·
Registered
9,900 Posts
https://www.brownells.com/handgun-p...rs/p22-threaded-barrel-adapter-prod66368.aspx

Here is what one looks like. It replaces the barrel nut only. The new thread adapter fits onto the end of the barrel in the same manner as the nut and holds the barrel very tight. The larger threads are for the suppressor and the cap is for protecting the threads when the suppressor is not installed. Dozens of people make these. I just bought one that was made by Silencer Co for the suppressor I purchased from them. There are all kinds of You Tube videos of unsuppressed compared to suppressed if you want to hear what they sound like. 1917

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?...CFFC41540F8B98704C59CFFC41540F8B9&FORM=VDQVAP

·
Registered
672 Posts
When I got my Q (Now given to my son) it came with the threaded/attachment adapter on it. Replaced it with the standard barrel nut that was in the bag. As pointed out, getting a silencer is a real pain, so no plans to get one. There did not seem there was a lot of difference in the two back straps but you might try swapping them to see which feels better to you. Or you could just leave it alone.

·
Registered
3,321 Posts
Ms. Cheryl - hearing protection for all firearms is an absolute must, but .22 seems especially sharp and loud from a pistol. Even subsonic rounds are loud, but your pistol will probably have cycling problems if you run the subsonic. I will defer to others on that point, but my P22 likes hot ammo to cycle reliably. Again, regarding hearing protection, I shot my 4-inch Colt Trooper in .22 Magnum exactly one time without hearing protection. My ears are still ringing 35 years later (almost not kidding).

Be aware that although a suppressor will reduce the loudness, they achieve maximum reduction with subsonic ammo (see above). Adding a suppressor to the P22 will also change significantly the balance and handling characteristics of your little "Bitty" pistol. And, as 1917-1911M points out, putting a suppressor on that pistol will much more than double the total cost. There is no substitute for handling (and shooting) a gun before buying.

Another Walther pistol that you might consider down the road if you want to keep shooting .22 is the PP. While closer in total price to a suppressor-equipped P22, the PP is an absolute joy to own and shoot, and the grip size should not be a problem for you at all. The PPK version will add another $400 or so above a comparable PP, but the shorter grip might suit you even better.

Returning to your Marlin .22, get behind a lever-action Marlin (or Winchester) and you will really have some fun.

Welcome to the Walther Forums, Cheryl. ;)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
.22 pistols are very loud....way beyond permanently ear damaging loud. Never fire one without ear protection and eye protection. The P22 is in the upper 150 db range. A good suppressor will drop the sound level down into the 115 db to 120 db. A 9mm pistol, a .40, a .45, a .308 rifle are all in the same noise range as a short barrel .22. In other words.....loud.

The short term solution and most common one is inexpensive foam ear plugs that you roll up, insert into the ear and let them expand. Then there are foam filled cups that fit over your ears. The cup material must be soft so that it fits closely against your skull. No hard plastic. Some shooters use both at the same time. BTW, a short barrel anything is loud. I find Leighting 33 db reduction headphone cups are the quietest. You can get them at Academy. Each brand will have the db reduction on it.

Suppressors are class III items and are a bit of a pain to acquire. First you have to pick one out...there are reviews. The SilencerCo Sparrow is a good one. Make sure you get one that is easily disassembled for cleaning.

The thread on the end of many barrels is not compatible with the threads on a suppressor...so, you have to install a $20 thread adapter. On the P22 the barrel nut holds the barrel tight against the frame and barrel sleeve. Basically, that nut is what holds the barrel on. You have to remove it and then install an adapter that fits the barrel but also fits a common thread used by suppressor manufacturers for .22s. You then screw the suppressor on the new threads. When you are not using the suppressor you will receive a screw on cap, called a thread protector to cover what would otherwise be bare threads.

The process for purchase is to find one you like. I caught the SS Sparrow on sale at Ky Gun Co for half price and ordered one. It cannot be shipped to you or to just any gun shop. It must go to one that handles class III items....basically machine guns and suppressors. There is a $200 Federal tax stamp you will have to pay for, the paperwork to the Feds will have to have all manner of information about you including finger prints if I remember correctly and the serial number off the suppressor you purchase. The gun shop will hold the suppressor until the tax stamp arrives....some 9 months later. The gun shop will also charge $100 to $150 for all the paperwork and transactions. There are a couple of methods of ownership....one method is that you own it, you must be present and with a copy of your tax stamp at all times when you or others fire it. You cannot loan it out. Another is to set up a trust with a few people names on it. All of this information is readily available but suppressors are not legal in all States. Check to make sure one is in IN. They are a lot of trouble to get due to the length of time but they sure are nice. Too bad you just can't purchase one. I'd put on on everything I own if it were simple.

In the meantime....foam ear plugs, ear protection cups and eye protection. 1917

How do I attach an image? and I'll show you the barrel nut in the bag and what is on the end of my gun. and Walther says there are no adapters until July 2019.

I really want a suppressor and that was before I knew how loud it is. I can't believe it's so hard to buy one...what is the purpose of charging all that money for the tax and the cost at the gun shop to pick it up? Sounds like a racket to me LOL :D I wanted the Bitty but that is $300. Add to that the other costs that's now up to $650..Yikes!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
When I got my Q (Now given to my son) it came with the threaded/attachment adapter on it. Replaced it with the standard barrel nut that was in the bag. As pointed out, getting a silencer is a real pain, so no plans to get one. There did not seem there was a lot of difference in the two back straps but you might try swapping them to see which feels better to you. Or you could just leave it alone.

Ohhhhhhh, that would be great! I was hoping it did but then Walther says it is sold separately. :)
I couldn't see any difference in the backstraps holding them next to each other. The gun fits my hand really well as it is.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ms. Cheryl - hearing protection for all firearms is an absolute must, but .22 seems especially sharp and loud from a pistol. Even subsonic rounds are loud, but your pistol will probably have cycling problems if you run the subsonic. I will defer to others on that point, but my P22 likes hot ammo to cycle reliably. Again, regarding hearing protection, I shot my 4-inch Colt Trooper in .22 Magnum exactly one time without hearing protection. My ears are still ringing 35 years later (almost not kidding).

Be aware that although a suppressor will reduce the loudness, they achieve maximum reduction with subsonic ammo (see above). Adding a suppressor to the P22 will also change significantly the balance and handling characteristics of your little "Bitty" pistol. And, as 1917-1911M points out, putting a suppressor on that pistol will much more than double the total cost. There is no substitute for handling (and shooting) a gun before buying.

Another Walther pistol that you might consider down the road if you want to keep shooting .22 is the PP. While closer in total price to a suppressor-equipped P22, the PP is an absolute joy to own and shoot, and the grip size should not be a problem for you at all. The PPK version will add another $400 or so above a comparable PP, but the shorter grip might suit you even better.

Returning to your Marlin .22, get behind a lever-action Marlin (or Winchester) and you will really have some fun.

Welcome to the Walther Forums, Cheryl. ;)
It scared the heck out of me...:eek::eek::eek:
I was concerned with recoil but that was the last thing on my mind after I shot it. I have no idea if there was much at all.

It didn't hurt my ears, I don't think...35 years is a long time.

I love that Marlin, it is so accurate. Made in 1989, I think...and so quiet when you shoot it. I was tired of lugging it around though. I use it for raccoon control.

I bought this particular gun because I wanted a suppressor. :confused:

Thanks for the Welcome Geo...I appreciate the help so much. :)

·
Registered
9,900 Posts
For images open a free account at Imgur. Same process as opening one here...user name and password. I drag photos off of my screen into the add photos block. They upload quickly. Then choose the photo you want to show here. On the right hand side of the page click on the BB code, second one up from the bottom to copy the photo. Come back here and paste.

It's pretty easy and not scary.

Blame it on the gangsters of the '30s. The Gov't sought to gain control of firearms Machine Gun Kelly and Al Capone were using like tactical P22s and Thompson machine guns firing .45 rounds. Back then $200 was a whole lot of money...but the process made it difficult to legally purchase one if you couldn't and it still complicates things today.....not that thieves, murderers and criminals pay much attention to laws anyway.....but if you get caught with one illegally....the fines can be severe.

Some countries in Europe require you to use a suppressor because people don't like the noise. You just purchase one at your local gun shop. An M15 did my ears in back in '70. Talk about loud.....those things are killers on full auto. My ears have been ringing since then and are ringing right now. The ringing is caused by my brain trying to reconnect to noise damaged hairs inside the ear. Protect your hearing....there is nothing you can do about damage. Loud gun also make people begin to flinch....a habit that is very hard to break. 1917

·
Registered
9,900 Posts
Oh, Walther might not have any adapters in until July but plenty of people make them for the P22 including every suppressor manufacturer. You won't be able to get a suppressor by then anyway unless you can find someone with one that they will allow you to screw theirs onto your pistol. Just be sure they are present with at least a copy of their stamp. Some P22s can be purchased with a thread adapter already installed. Same for Smith compacts and Ruger SR 22. The P22 has always had a removable nut because of the two barrel option. 1917

·
Registered
290 Posts
For images open a free account at Imgur. Same process as opening one here...user name and password. I drag photos off of my screen into the add photos block. They upload quickly. Then choose the photo you want to show here. On the right hand side of the page click on the BB code, second one up from the bottom to copy the photo. Come back here and paste.

And select "Auto Resize" to 800 x 600 on the right side before you upload the photos.

·
Registered
3,321 Posts
There is a reason or three that more .22LR is shot than any other caliber, but is does go bang with a disproportionately sharp report. If you decide to expand into pistols down the road, I personally would not bother with anything in .25 ACP unless a super small pistol is the only consideration, but you really might enjoy a PP or PPK(/S) chambered in .32 ACP. It will have more reliable ignition than .22 (no duds), much more reliable cycling, and a mild recoil. No suppressor-ready barrels were produced by Walther for the PP-series pistols, but I kind of doubt that you will want to go suppressed when you see (and spend) what it entails with the P22. My $0.02

·
Registered
9,900 Posts
A chart of decibels by caliber and in various firearms....rifles, shotguns and pistols. There is not one caliber/firearm in the list that is not way above permanent ear damaging loudness. Also note the little .22 long rifle at over 158 db out of a pistol. The shorter the barrel...they louder each round is. 1917

http://www.caohc.org/UserFiles/file/Shot of Prevention extra handout.pdf

·
Registered
9,900 Posts
There is a reason or three that more .22LR is shot than any other caliber, but is does go bang with a disproportionately sharp report. I kind of doubt that you will want to go suppressed when you see (and spend) what it entails with the P22. My $0.02
I don't know if I agree. Because of the relatively inexpensive cost of .22 ammo a lot of it gets shot. I know I shoot 30x as much of it as 9mm, .45, etc. So the pistol you shoot a lot might be a good one to suppress and the suppressor can be used on any .22 firearm including rifles as long as they have the proper thread or adapter. Decide to sell the P22 and get a Browning or Ruger MK...get one with a threaded barrel and keep the suppressor. You will want to keep the suppressor a long time anyway which is why you need to purchase a good one and one that can be easily cleaned. 1917

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)

It's pretty easy and not scary.

Blame it on the gangsters of the '30s. The Gov't sought to gain control of firearms Machine Gun Kelly and Al Capone were using like tactical P22s and Thompson machine guns firing .45 rounds. Back then $200 was a whole lot of money...but the process made it difficult to legally purchase one if you couldn't and it still complicates things today.....not that thieves, murderers and criminals pay much attention to laws anyway.....but if you get caught with one illegally....the fines can be severe.

Some countries in Europe require you to use a suppressor because people don't like the noise. You just purchase one at your local gun shop. An M15 did my ears in back in '70. Talk about loud.....those things are killers on full auto. My ears have been ringing since then and are ringing right now. The ringing is caused by my brain trying to reconnect to noise damaged hairs inside the ear. Protect your hearing....there is nothing you can do about damage. Loud gun also make people begin to flinch....a habit that is very hard to break. 1917

https://imgur.com/a/EoIqMD6
I see all I have is the link. I am lost on the BB code part...is that on Imgur?

·
Premium Member
13,868 Posts
Here's your pistol.

After you've uploaded your picture to imgur, move the mouse to the upper right and hover over your name. A box will drop down...click on 'images'. A new window will open up with all your pictures. Click on the picture you want to include in your post. a series of links will appear on the right hand side, beside your picture. Look at the links...one is titled 'BBCode' (second from the bottom)....click on 'copy'. That'll copy the link to the clipboard. Go back to Walther forums and past that link in your post....just right click and click on 'paste'.

Dats it............

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)

I did find the BB code...thanks! But still there's no image or am I only posting the link? and why is my url different than yours, I wonder.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts