Walther Forums banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my husband just bought a Walther P22Q, it is brand new. We finally got a chance to take it to the range and it keeps jamming on him. We are using the Remington bullets, which is what the dealer recommended. At the same time my husband bought the Walther, I bought the new S&W Shield 380EZ. Both guns are brand new but mine is shooting great right out of the box.

He shoots then has to manually clear the shell probably 75% of the time. Can someone please help. Is this just because it is new? He is so disappointed in this gun.:mad:

·
Registered
726 Posts
Tell your hubby to breath... The P22 needs a good breakin period. Here is what I did after seeing a few utube videos. Remove the spring and guide rod, lube the rails of the gun and reassemble. Have him sit and rack the slide back and forth a couple of hundred times. When he removes the slide he will most likely see several shiny spots on the slide and frame where they rub.

Give the barrel a good cleaning with a brass cleaning brush.

Try a box of CCI Mini Mags and see what happens. Mine will shoot Mini Mags, Remington Golden, CCI Blazer quite well.

I also replaced the spring and guide rod with a Galloway Precision captured spring and it makes the reassembly process much easier. Good luck.

·
Registered
10,423 Posts
it keeps jamming on him. We are using the Remington bullets, which is what the dealer recommended.

He shoots then has to manually clear the shell probably 75% of the time.
Welcome LKorzen...I've purchased about six new P22s over the years including the new QD and I've never found that any need a break in period. The springs, particularly the main spring (hammer spring) will weaken a bit over time.

When diagnosing a pistol problem over the net we have to have very specific information. For example....what Remington ammo, a very detailed description of the stoppage or other problem. From what you report I am assuming that a fired round is having the case shoved back into the chamber and is not ejecting. This is usually caused by ammo that is too weak to blow the slide back far enough for the spent case to hit the ejector and be ejected. This is commonly called short stroking. Causes....limp wristing ( not holding a pistol firmly which allows the firearm to absorb the recoil energy, this can happen with any caliber...even .45 acp), over the years a number of people have gone from a large pistol to the smaller P22 and determined that they were dragging part of their hand on the slide..it is easy to do. But the most common cause is simply ammo that is not powerful enough to cycle the slide on short barrel .22 pistols. The reason for this is that the relatively weak .22 has to create enough blowback gas energy to move the slide, compress the recoil spring, cock the hammer while allowing the spent case to move rearward enough to hit the ejector which will cause it to bounce out of the pistol. Since you didn't report any jamming of a live round being pressed out of the magazine...that is further indication that the slide simply isn't moving rearward enough for ejection or to pick up the next round.

Another item to check is the chamber....a .22 round should easily fall into and drop out of the chamber. If one won't....scrub out the chamber. This needs to be done routinely or as often as needed. There is nothing unusual about the chamber getting dirty. .22s get fired a lot. I expect more powerful .22 ammo will correct the issue. Wildtoad listed some that work fine. CCI mini mags are excellent but a little more expensive than the bulk Remington Golden Bullets. A few weeks ago I fired an entire 1300 count bucket of them with not one dud round. They are about as inexpensive as it gets.

Clean chamber, a little light lube on moving parts, CCI or Rem Goldens, firm grip, nothing dragging on the slide and then give us another report please. Good luck. The little pistols usually run fine with proper ammo. But all of these short barrel .22 semi autos.....S&W M&P compact, Ruger SR22, etc. can be ammo picky. This is why high velocity ammo is called for....but, not all high velocity ammo has the same energy out of short barrel firearms. 1917

·
Registered
1 Posts
it keeps jamming on him. We are using the Remington bullets, which is what the dealer recommended.

He shoots then has to manually clear the shell probably 75% of the time.
Welcome LKorzen...I've purchased about six new P22s over the years including the new QD and I've never found that any need a break in period. The springs, particularly the main spring (hammer spring) will weaken a bit over time.

When diagnosing a pistol problem over the net we have to have very specific information. For example....what Remington ammo, a very detailed description of the stoppage or other problem. From what you report I am assuming that a fired round is having the case shoved back into the chamber and is not ejecting. This is usually caused by ammo that is too weak to blow the slide back far enough for the spent case to hit the ejector and be ejected. This is commonly called short stroking. Causes....limp wristing ( not holding a pistol firmly which allows the firearm to absorb the recoil energy, this can happen with any caliber...even .45 acp), over the years a number of people have gone from a large pistol to the smaller P22 and determined that they were dragging part of their hand on the slide..it is easy to do. But the most common cause is simply ammo that is not powerful enough to cycle the slide on short barrel .22 pistols. The reason for this is that the relatively weak .22 has to create enough blowback gas energy to move the slide, compress the recoil spring, cock the hammer while allowing the spent case to move rearward enough to hit the ejector which will cause it to bounce out of the pistol. Since you didn't report any jamming of a live round being pressed out of the magazine...that is further indication that the slide simply isn't moving rearward enough for ejection or to pick up the next round.

Another item to check is the chamber....a .22 round should easily fall into and drop out of the chamber. If one won't....scrub out the chamber. This needs to be done routinely or as often as needed. There is nothing unusual about the chamber getting dirty. .22s get fired a lot. I expect more powerful .22 ammo will correct the issue. Wildtoad listed some that work fine. CCI mini mags are excellent but a little more expensive than the bulk Remington Golden Bullets. A few weeks ago I fired an entire 1300 count bucket of them with not one dud round. They are about as inexpensive as it gets.

Clean chamber, a little light lube on moving parts, CCI or Rem Goldens, firm grip, nothing dragging on the slide and then give us another report please. Good luck. The little pistols usually run fine with proper ammo. But all of these short barrel .22 semi autos.....S&W M&P compact, Ruger SR22, etc. can be ammo picky. This is why high velocity ammo is called for....but, not all high velocity ammo has the same energy out of short barrel firearms. 1917
oil the shells a little bit and watch what happens... everything you shoot will magically fire perfect all brands all weights period ...don't believe something so simple can be the answer ?... Get out and try it

·
Registered
93 Posts
oil the shells a little bit and watch what happens... everything you shoot will magically fire perfect all brands all weights period ...don't believe something so simple can be the answer ?... Get out and try it
Think I'll try your suggestion Mike. Should I just lay out some rounds on a towel and lightly spray the batch with REM oil?

·
Registered
726 Posts
Do a internet search on oiling ammo. The general consensus is not to do it. There is no need to oil the ammo. If the ammo will drop in the chamber and fall out when held up you should be set to go.

But if you must, lightly spray the oil on a rag and wipe each casing. You do not want to soak the round. But again, you should not do this.

·
Registered
10,423 Posts
No, I don't lubricate ammo. If the ammo is too weak to blow the slide back lube won't help. More powerful ammo is required....for some reason there is a big difference between...say Winchester bulk and Remington Golden
bullets....powder, primer...I don't know but the Rems pop outa there and you can feel the difference. In a rifle I doubt there is much difference as the velocity and energy are similar.....out of a rifle barrel. 1917

·
Registered
38 Posts
I'm going to disagree a bit to the prohibition of lubricating ammo. I have found a waxy coating on some 22lr ammo that gives my P22 fits. I have found that dumping the box into a tupperware container and spraying a bit of CLP on the whole bunch before shooting makes the ammo work much better. I even took a box of Federal Automatch and split it to test this and it proved my point to me at least. The half that didn't get lubed had a much higher instance of not feeding/ejecting properly than the other half of the box that did get lubed. As always, YMMV, but I have moved to doing this with all my bulk pack ammo and believe I have less problems in my P22 this way.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I tried several different cartridge brands when I first started shooting the P22. I had various degrees of successes with them. Someone earlier said that the P22 has a break-in period, and this is true.

However, after I found this site and started reading the posts here, I saw one that mentioned that the owners' manual recommends the CCI Mini-Mag. I went to the manual. and they were right.

After I started using them, I stopped having jamming, stovepiping, ejecting, etc. with the P22. I know for a fact that accuracy also improved over the other brands that I tried because I did my own field comparison on targets at the range.

Recently I discovered that the CCI Stinger works well too. But by this time though, the gun has had 4000-4500 rounds through it. It's pretty well broken in now.

Give Mini-Mags an honest test. It does not seem to matter whether I shoot hollow point or round nose bullets.

·
Registered
10,423 Posts
Good morning Mudbug, hope things are going well in your neck of the woods. I'll be heading to the farm this weekend. Not terribly far from you.
Have you tried Remington Golden Bullets? I find they run just a well as mini mags. They cost a good deal less also. Feds and Winchester are not as powerful. I think stingers are too powerful for the zinc slide, cost too much and aren't accurate. My 2 cents.....no doubt CCI mini mags are good ammo. I have not tried CCI blazers that I know of but want to try them soon. Glad to hear the little fellow is running well for you. The pistol absolutely requires ammo powerful enough to cycle it. My moly powder must really be good as a lubricant because even Federal bulk seems to run almost 100% but I can easily feel it is not as powerful as the others. 1917

·
Registered
156 Posts
Good morning Mudbug, hope things are going well in your neck of the woods. I'll be heading to the farm this weekend. Not terribly far from you.
Have you tried Remington Golden Bullets? I find they run just a well as mini mags. They cost a good deal less also. Feds and Winchester are not as powerful. I think stingers are too powerful for the zinc slide, cost too much and aren't accurate. My 2 cents.....no doubt CCI mini mags are good ammo. I have not tried CCI blazers that I know of but want to try them soon. Glad to hear the little fellow is running well for you. The pistol absolutely requires ammo powerful enough to cycle it. My moly powder must really be good as a lubricant because even Federal bulk seems to run almost 100% but I can easily feel it is not as powerful as the others. 1917
I don't think that I have tried the Golden Bullets, not sure. I tried a LOT of different ones in the first couple of thousands rounds I put through it. I do know that one of the Remington bullets kept jamming miserably. I will buy a pack and see how they do with the P22.

I question you about the Stingers being too powerful for the P22. What would the results be? Cracked slides?

·
Registered
81 Posts
Sell the piece of crap and think "lesson learned". I owned one and had limited success with CCI Minimags (top of the line 22.ammo). If he bought a P22 versus a p22qd that was his first mistake. Mine was a P22 but since Walther has improved a few things with the p22qd but still not perfect.

Reactions: RichC

·
Registered
10,423 Posts
Mudbug....the Stingers sure make a nice flash at night.....but, for me they cost too much, kick the zinc slide back too hard and aren't very accurate. I never had any problems with the longer case not ejecting. Rem Thunderbolts have an issue with leading the barrel. Not only me, but a number of people have complained about them over the years. They function fine in the pistol and are accurate...but lead is hard to remove sometimes. Fired slowly they seem to do better in regard to not leading. Many users have had good experience with the Golden Bullets. A bulk ammo...but they work fine in this pistol. Give some a try if you haven't. 1917

·
Premium Member
13,914 Posts
Mudbug....the Stingers sure make a nice flash at night........
The flash is noticeable because much of the powder is burned in the air out in front of the muzzle. It's a slow-burning propellant designed for use in .22 rifles and is wasted in handguns.

The Stinger bullet is lighter than standard and doesn't stay in the bore long enough to build up the pressure needed to reliably cycle the slide. It's a poor match.

M

·
Registered
1 Posts
22 pistol jams

I have a 22 UZI pistol (Walther/Israeli) with two safeties (F/S and hand grip). It jammed on a regular basis with non-CCI ammo. Step 1) started using CCI exclusively and after infrequent jams 2) taped hand grip with about ten wraps of black electrical tape. The safety is still effective but now only moderate palm pressure releases it when firing. Also, now my palm and thumb base don't hurt when firing a couple hundred rounds in an hour like it used too. This of course was very important, the non-jamming that is, because one certainly doesn't want a jam when confronting an intruder in the dark.

BobbyO

·
Registered
964 Posts
Hoppe's #9 used as ammo lube works wonders

Lubricating 22LR ammo at the range solves most issues that involve weak extraction.

The most common and useful is Hoppe's #9. A few drops in a plastic container can lightly lubricate a box of fifty in a jiffy and the ammo works great afterwords in such difficult customers as the FAS 607, the Baikal MCM Margolin, Smith & Wesson Model 422, Walther P22 and more.

The bonus is an ever-shining bore and no flyers. :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Pick up a Captured Guide Rod Assembly it will operate your slide more freely and will be much easier to assemble . Use hyper velocity ammunition. Pick up some Amsoil synthetic gun oil and hope for the best. Plink with it do not count on it for self difference. When you least expect it . It will stove pipe or fail to rack a round. It must be kept dust and lint free. Remember the safety is backwards so it has to be pushed upwards with your thumb . This is much harder an un-natural as compared to a 1911. Remember this firearm is made by the country that produced positive grounded cars. The best fix is to sell it.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts