Walther Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
For me the deciding point was that I had other weapons.

So lets say hypothetically I had three full size weapons ( I have more but I am trying to keep it simple)

P99
P88

The P99 beats the snot out of the 226 in any meaningful measure.
It also is my primary carry weapon.

Thus the 226 and the P88 become range guns. Fun to shoot but I do not plan to carry either.

P88
better trigger SA and DA
Better fit and finish
Grip angle good
A little to wide at the top of grip
Manual of arms very ambi
Very accurate
Parts hard to find and expensive.

A little smaller
Manual of arms unique but very functional
Mags cheaper and easier to get
Crappy finish
Parts availbility great

I guess if I could only own one gun in the world and it had to be the P88 or the 226 I might get the 226 because there are more of them made and it is easier to get parts and accesories.

If I was adding a gun to a collection and had the money I would get the P88.

I would use mine as a daily carry piece if I had a 2nd P88 one to keep nice and one to beat.

I hope this helps.

I really do love my P88.

You might consider getting a Bersa Thunder High cap. Very nice. The only real down sides are the mags are expensive and the finish was done with a magic marker.

·
Registered
41 Posts
What trigger system do you like in the P99? QA or AS?
AS!

P88
better trigger SA and DA
Better fit and finish
Grip angle good
A little to wide at the top of grip
Manual of arms very ambi
Very accurate
Parts hard to find and expensive.
Con: The tolerances are a little too tight. My P88 has problems digesting reloads and recon ammo.

I guess if I could only own one gun in the world and it had to be the P88 or the 226 I might get the 226 because there are more of them made and it is easier to get parts and accesories.
I guess given the choice above for ONLY one, it would be the Sig. But, I would rather it be a P99, P2000, or USP in the real and dirty world.
I agree with the rest of Gokyo's points. But, I carry a P7 until things get dirty and wet.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Sorry to not get back to you sooner

My wife and I had a baby and it just came home this weekend. Things have been a little busy.

The blueing has a little wear near the muzzle. The rings on the gas piston are sharp.

I am not really sure I want to sell. Make an offer and let me think on it.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Sorry to not get back to you sooner

My wife and I had a baby and it just came home this weekend. Things have been a little busy.
No Worries and Congratulations! If this is your first , It?s will be life changing and very enjoyable!!

I am not really sure I want to sell. Make an offer and let me think on it.
Once you have decided you want to sell, please send an email with everything you are selling. # of magazines, Etc. Also if you are the original owner and an the approx round count.

Thank You and Congratulations again!

·
Premium Member
4,589 Posts
Congrats on the baby Gokyo :)
didn't know you guys were expecting another one.... that's way cool :D
ahhh I guess you just have to have a cigar for me :p

·
Registered
118 Posts
Once you have decided you want to sell, please send an email with everything you are selling. # of magazines, Etc. Also if you are the original owner and an the approx round count.
Let me tell you what I know.
I bought it from the owner of a gunstore. He is a HK freak. He buys things lets them sit around and then turns them for the next. I also bought a Mark 23 from the owner.

He wore it as a CCW. There is a little wear on the muzzle end of the slide. In all other ways it looks great. He stated that he put very few rounds down the barrel. From looking at the gas rings he probably was telling the truth. The rings are very sharp.

I have put about 1000 down the pipe.

I have box, papers, Hand molded Blade tech holster, I have a Com III on order from HBE. It has a total of 5 magazines, the orginal cleaning brush and scraping tool.

As I was saying I do not shoot it much anymore. I like it. It is an absolute tack driver. Nothing wrong with it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Anyone have both of these? Thoughts one the Sig verses the Walther?

Thanks.
I own both. Have had a P226 for almost two decades. I have owned and carried SIG P220s for three decades. The Walther P88 is probably only 10 years old.

To start off with, I am not a big fan of 9mm handguns. Most of the ones that I have fired (over 1000) have had fairly poor accuracy compared to out of the box 45s. The only reason that I have owned the P226s is that there are time I had to carry 9mm.

One of the ranges that I used to instruct at had a doctor that would come in and shoot his P88 every couple of weeks and then lever it for the gunsmith clean (a $25 fee). On one of these occasions, the guns smith was sick and the customer did not know what to do, so I offered to complete the task. I had ulterior motives. I wanted to put a few rounds downrange with the P88. I had never fired one until that day.

I was very impressed. It was more accurate than any other 9mm combat pistol I had ever held. The ambidextrous controls astonished me. I went and bought my P88 that week.

I had hoped that the accuracy was not a fluke and mine would shoot as well. The Walther did not let me down. The three other P88s that I have fired since that day have also been very accurate.

The only drawback was magazines. Once I realized that the Walther used the Beretta92 mag body with the mag catch cut in a different location I set the mill up to cut some slots and had a dozen magazines in nothing flat. I even converted some of the 18 round flush fit RamLine mags and a few 30s just for fun.

I still own a P226 for those occasions where I am mandated to carry 9mm, but it is the P88 that has won a place in my heart when it comes to 9mm Combat handguns.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I still own a P226 for those occasions where I am mandated to carry 9mm, but it is the P88 that has won a place in my heart when it comes to 9mm Combat handguns.

The P226 is an excellent pistol! Have a W. German from 1985. Will never part with it. P7's have caught my fancy at this time, but the P226 will always be #1 in my book..

1 - 18 of 18 Posts