Walther Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I've had my CCW for a while now & have been trying to get my wife into shooting, too. She wasn't liking my Sig P239/9mm too much...too much kick, I suppose. Anyway, I took her to the range yesterday & rented a P22... she LOVED IT! Now, she wants to get her CCW & she wants me to pick up our own P22 this week. Gee, I guess I'll be forced to. What a GREAT gun. The magic of Walther.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Puppage,

Sounds like you AND your wife may be hooked on Walthers. I have always prefered Walther over most other pistols. This is not to say that the Glocks, Sigs, H&Ks, etc. are not good, but there is "something" about Walther!

Also, there will be problems with any manufacturers firearms from time to time. If they take care of these problems, great, if not, it is a bad. The P.22 suffered this with the magazine problem, but Walther rectified the situation and they are great pistols. Many people are not aware of the "growing pains" Walther had with the very early PP pistols. There was engineering changes to the pistols, with recalls and repair, even in the 1920s.

Good luck on finding a P.22!!!!

Abwehr

·
Registered
187 Posts
Hi Puppage,
My P99 9mm has functioned flawlessly, but the P22 has not exactly been operating smoothly. I understand what Abwehr is saying re: new design "shake out" time. Current production P22s may have all the fixes built in.
See this link for one of my other threads...

http://rimfirecentral.com/forums....d=14309

The safety engaging upon slide movement has been reported by other owners. Smith & Wesson has been replacing the safeties. Smith has also been filing down hammers to fix fail to feeds (sometimes they remeber to re-blue also).
I have held off on sending mine in for service.
I like the P22; there are just some things to watch for & monitor.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So I've heard. But, WHAT A BEAR it is to reassemble after stripping. My Sig is a piece of cake compared to the P22, but then again, most all .22s are a pain in this regard.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Why is reassembly difficult ? I dont have any problems with my 3.4" P-22 . The 5" could be a little more work - have to take off the fake comp . You could use the 5" barrel w/out the compensator .
Vic

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Maybe because it's brand new to me. My Sig P239 takes me about 20 seconds to take down & put back. Seems that with the P22, you have to work each coil of the spring in in order to get it back together. But, I must admit, I haven't really sat down & done it until it becomes 2nd nature.

·
Registered
49 Posts
There is a small black plastic rod that comes with your gun . Use it as a guide when putting the gun back together .
Put the recoil spring onto the recoil spring guide , place the assembly into the gun . Place one end of plastic rod into the hole of the slide where the guide rod would go and the other end into the end of recoil spring . This works like an extension to the recoil spring guide .
Vic

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
FANTASTIC!!!
That makes perfect sence.Thanks, Vic.

Pete

·
Registered
187 Posts
Oh well, Guess I haven't been that imaginative. Is that what that rod was for?!
It takes me a good 30 sec to get that guide rod lined up by poking the tip of a finger in the side while attaching slide assembly on the P22.

With the P99, I can reassemble in the dark more quickly, no kidding! I've done it.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Glad to help . I just looked at the owners manual - page 11 , with pictures on page 10 . I should start to read these things myself .
Vic

·
Registered
187 Posts
How about that! (mounting pin 2668891)
Guess I need to read that fine print in the manuals!

Well, still don't think it's as easy in the dark as the P99.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts