Walther Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We were at the range for the first time tonight and after successfully shooting about 100 rounds, my wife's P22 started misfiring. I'd cock it and then shoot a round. After a bit longer it quit firing altogether. The gun does everything it should do, except just a "click" instead of firing a round. Thanks in advance. -Brian

·
Registered
10,379 Posts
The first thing you have to do when this happens is look at the rim of the round that didn't fire. Is there a firing pin strike? Is it too light or none at all? If there are light strikes your chamber is likely dirty and not letting the round seat. Solution, clean the chamber. Light strikes can also be caused by a dirty firing pin channel which is dragging on the pin and not letting it reset fully rearward. Spray some cleaner or Remoil in there and work the pin back and forth. Spray again until clean. There is a small spring that resets it....what about the hammer? Is it falling all the way or being caught by the secondary notch on the hammer. If the trigger spring isn't keeping the trigger bar up the sear will not be kept rotated out of the way of the falling hammer and the secondary notch will be caught by the sear. Did you have a look to see if the hammer was dropping all the way. The cure there is to either call Walther and have them repair it at no cost or disassemble the pistol and unwind the spring.

With the hammer down, there should be no play in the trigger...none at all. If not sure, stick a tooth pick behind the trigger and under the lower legs of the spring to temporarily tighten it up and test fire. The light weight trigger spring keeps the trigger forward unless overwound. Or the firing pin could have broken....is it still in the pistol? Safety set to fire and stayed there? Check a few of these out and let us know what you find. 1917

·
Registered
156 Posts
Vbaren15, I had exactly the same problem. This is going to sound real dumb. But I fell for it.

My P22 was my first-ever handgun about a year ago.

Check your safety. When on "S" the gun acts like it's doing everything it's supposed to do, except fire the round. It even clicks when you pull the trigger.

I had to call Walther and talk to a repairman there, to find out how to return it to them for repair. He had me check the safety.

After handing it to a friend to try firing it, he put the safety on...which I had never done.

I even had the series of misfires at first. I think it takes a while for the P22Q to break in. For a long while, it would only fire high speed cartridges...1255 or faster. After a LOT of rounds.....maybe 1000, it started shooting anything I put in it.

·
Registered
10,379 Posts
Periodically folks come along like 15 and they never come back. Probably go asking for help at several forums and forget where they have been. :) So, unless someone else comes along with the same issues the discussion typically dies with the thread. Just the way it is on the net. He says he would cock it....I presume after a hammer fall and no fire and then it would fire. Most of the time that is a dirty chamber and the first hammer strike seats the round so it can be solidly whacked the second time. You have to keep the chamber clean on any .22. But, since he/she didn't come back...who knows. 1917

·
Registered
10,379 Posts
After a LOT of rounds.....maybe 1000, it started shooting anything I put in it.

A lot of rounds.....:eek:...I don't even get mine out for that little bit of shooting....:) 1917

2,500 at just one shooting with a P22 and no cleaning or issues. Just plinking and shooting. This was about 10 years ago when a bulk box of .22 was $6.

·
Registered
156 Posts
A lot of rounds.....:eek:...I don't even get mine out for that little bit of shooting....:) 1917

2,500 at just one shooting with a P22 and no cleaning or issues. Just plinking and shooting. This was about 10 years ago when a bulk box of .22 was $6.
Yeah, I was wondering if he was going to reply. I guess that you are right. Maybe he'll remember that he was on the Wather/P22 forum though.

A bulk box starts at about $19-20 now. But without a quick loading device, I average a couple of hundred cartridges a session now. Clip loading takes up a LOT of my time, then R. Arthritis starts raising hell with the fingers! After 90 minutes, it's time to think of stopping.

·
Registered
10,379 Posts
Over the years I had posted that the $6/500 rounds was a good price. Back in '64 the only place to buy ammo was a small sporting goods store and Peters LR was $6 per 500. So, in 2005 the same amt of ammo at still $6 was a bargain. Times caught up with us though. According to an on line inflation calculator......$6 in 1964 is over $48 in 2017 dollars. $20 today was $2.51 in '64. 1917

1 - 7 of 7 Posts