Walther Forums banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Ok it finally quit raining here in N.C so I got out and shot alittle today and I shot some Browning .22 ammo and it finally cycled not reliably but better than b4 so I'm gonna keep shooting those to break the new spring in and see if that will fix my problem I did have a question about some casting I picked up after shooting one seems to be over presserd ? But dident know if something was wrong with my fireing pin ?

Attachments

·
Registered
596 Posts
What I find interesting is that the new slide from Walther has a "BK" marking (means make in 2019) and what looks like a serial number (WAR06342). Those markings are not on the slides of new pistols ... so is this something they must do for major replacement parts like a slide assembly?

https://www.waltherforums.com/forum/attachments/p22/88638d1583374997-p22-won-t-cycle-img_20200304_192439_1583374977897.jpg
I know when I had a slide replaced on my PPK/S .22 it came with a new number which started with WF. So now it has two numbers.

·
Registered
9,341 Posts
I think the spring used on the new captive spring assembly might be 1-1/2 to 2 coils less from looking at photos of both and counting the number of coil turns. Maybe you can verify 1917 if you have both in front of you. If the new spring has less coils/turns, then it's probably a little softer too, and maybe why the new recoils spring helps the P22 operate more trouble free.
Walther does make changes without fanfare. I counted the coils, measured the od and wire diameter of the 2017 QD that I bought. Same spring. That doesn't mean they haven't changed it since.

I don't think it is a recoil spring problem, not with the new one. If the old one was being used it was likely binding between the slide and guide rod. I've never seen that these pistols need any break in. Mini Mags are powerful enough to cycle a P22 reliably. If the case is not extracting then something is wrong with the chamber or the pistol is not assembled correctly.

On a few of the recent pistols with extraction problems we've seen that the more powerful the ammo..the worse the problem gets. That would seem to indicate a chamber problem. More powerful round expanding the case against the walls of the chamber. But the OP reports the pistol firing reliably until a new slide was installed. One of the rounds pictured has two firing pin hits on it and should not unless the hammer was dropped twice. I wonder does the firing pin block move freely. Josh is the only one that can answer questions on this pistol.

Was the old spring/guide rod still in the pistol? Was something changed on the pistol by the OP? I don't know that Josh has answered questions about a round dropping into the chamber freely, dropping out freely, if the spent case is stuck hard in the chamber or easily falls out. Also, can the slide be fully retracted by hand without any undue drag. It is a step by step analysis that must be done when assessing problems over the internet. 1917

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
I think the spring used on the new captive spring assembly might be 1-1/2 to 2 coils less from looking at photos of both and counting the number of coil turns. Maybe you can verify 1917 if you have both in front of you. If the new spring has less coils/turns, then it's probably a little softer too, and maybe why the new recoils spring helps the P22 operate more trouble free.
Walther does make changes without fanfare. I counted the coils, measured the od and wire diameter of the 2017 QD that I bought. Same spring. That doesn't mean they haven't changed it since.

I don't think it is a recoil spring problem, not with the new one. If the old one was being used it was likely binding between the slide and guide rod. I've never seen that these pistols need any break in. Mini Mags are powerful enough to cycle a P22 reliably. If the case is not extracting then something is wrong with the chamber or the pistol is not assembled correctly.

On a few of the recent pistols with extraction problems we've seen that the more powerful the ammo..the worse the problem gets. That would seem to indicate a chamber problem. More powerful round expanding the case against the walls of the chamber. But the OP reports the pistol firing reliably until a new slide was installed. One of the rounds pictured has two firing pin hits on it and should not unless the hammer was dropped twice. I wonder does the firing pin block move freely. Josh is the only one that can answer questions on this pistol.

Was the old spring/guide rod still in the pistol? Was something changed on the pistol by the OP? I don't know that Josh has answered questions about a round dropping into the chamber freely, dropping out freely, if the spent case is stuck hard in the chamber or easily falls out. Also, can the slide be fully retracted by hand without any undue drag. It is a step by step analysis that must be done when assessing problems over the internet. 1917
. Ok I think I have took note of all the questions that people have had and I'll try to address them all I know it is hard to figure a problem out over the internet without physically examining the gun and I appreciate all of the suggestions and advice I have gotten so far so here goes #1 recoil spring I am using the captured recoil spring Walther sent me with the new slide and it does not seem to be binding or hanging up on anything #2 I will enclose a pic of the chamber and chamber wall I have put a round in it and it does go in easily and when I turn the barrel up it falls out freely with no problems I cleaned it thoroughly #3 I haven't changed anything with the gun except polish the feed ramp and trigger bar ears and and the hammer I removed the mag safety spring and the plastic piece and after each mod I fired the gun and it worked flawlessly b4 the slide broke I have only had issues with the gun since I got the new slide #4 I can put the slide on with and without recoil spring and slide it to the rear and the only friction I feel is when it gets to the hammer but it's only slight friction and I'm pretty sure that is normal because it did the same thing b4 the slide change . Now as I have said I shot it and did get it to cycle a few times with Browning ammo and I was wanting to know if you guys thought it could be just a new stiff recoil spring and if I shoot it more and break it in would that fix my problem or do you guys think I have something else going on inconguntion with the new recoil spring ? Thanks again

Attachments

·
Registered
9,341 Posts
You are doing a good job. I don't see anything wrong. Go back to CCI Mini Mags or Remington Golden Bullets. We know those will reliably cycle the slide. When a case fails to extract.....is it easily removed or is it stuck.

Is the firing pin block under the breech block moving up and down freely? The little oval button on the underside of the breech block. Are you sure your aren't dragging your hand on the slide. I've removed the mag safety in the past...didn't effect anything regarding cycling. We are running out of things to consider...the pistol might have to go back to Ft. Smith.

Stick with a known ammo. CCI Mini Mags or Golden Bullets. Check regarding some cases not extracting from the chamber after firing, e.g., difficult to remove or easy. Firing pin block. I think I'm out of ideas if that doesn't work. 1917

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Ok guys I don't know if y'all we're praying for me or not but something happend I went to the range again today to shoot the p22 and some other stuff and I picked up some new cci mini mags and started shooting and it fed fired extracted and ejected every round so I fired 100 of them and then went back to the winchester xperts and it fed fired extracted 9 outta 10 and most of the time 10 outta 10 so I don't know it the spring is getting broke in or what or maybe as many times iv took it apart and put it back together something changed and I'm glad it did IV got my ol pistol back again thanks again for all the help and advise I'm glad there is a place I can learn more about Walther p22s

·
Registered
596 Posts
Seems my son has incurred the cracked slide issue. He had been getting a lot of failures to eject. Rounds were sticking in the chamber so gave it a good cleaning and went back to the range. Shot several mags worth and started getting several FTE’s. Took it back home to clean it and noticed a crack in the slide. So back to Walther it goes.

·
Registered
9,341 Posts
Glad to hear that as I was out of ideas. Sounds like the new recoil spring is a bit stiffer than your old one. Your Winchester's are not quite powerful enough to cycle the slide. It isn't only the recoil spring that must be compressed but the mainspring has to be wound as well. 22 ammo isn't all that powerful to begin with. The mass of the slide has to be moved as well. I'm currently loading only five rounds of CCI Quiet in my P22 because it won't reliably cycle a full load. Why? Because the drag of the top round on the underside of the breech rail is just a hair too much with a fully loaded mag.....not that a missed shot at a squirrel causes him to sit still for another try. I have one out there that has three streaks down the side of his hide where .22 rounds have given him a shave and nothing more. You think he'd get the point. 1917

·
Registered
9,341 Posts
Seems my son has incurred the cracked slide issue. He had been getting a lot of failures to eject. Rounds were sticking in the chamber so gave it a good cleaning and went back to the range. Shot several mags worth and started getting several FTE’s. Took it back home to clean it and noticed a crack in the slide. So back to Walther it goes.
You might be able to just send a picture and receive a new slide in the mail. Faster than sending it in. Q model? 1917

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
You might be able to just send a picture and receive a new slide in the mail. Faster than sending it in. Q model? 1917
. I would call Walther and see if you could send a picture but when I called about my slide cracking/breaking they ask me to send it back so they could examin it but the whole process took a week i live in North Carolina and it took it two days to get to fort Smith and three days to get back to me

·
Registered
596 Posts
Yes it is a Q with a aftermarket captured spring, Galloway.

May want to have them check the whole pistol. The week before, all was going fine and GB’s started getting stuck in the chamber and of course not extracting. We tried to push a new round in the chamber and it only went half way without a helping push. Ran a snake through it a couple of times (not a through cleaning) and it still occurred. He gave it a good cleaning and first set of mags went well then extraction problem. I know GB’s may not be the cleanest around, but we’ve shout hundreds or a few thousand rounds through it and zero (or at least a very small number) till now.

Wonder if the crack lead to the fouling as we don’t know exactly when it occurred, or did the fouling cause the crack...

·
Registered
596 Posts
. I would call Walther and see if you could send a picture but when I called about my slide cracking/breaking they ask me to send it back so they could examin it but the whole process took a week i live in North Carolina and it took it two days to get to fort Smith and three days to get back to me
We’re just south of you in the true Carolina (and the real USC BTW, and this from a Clemson fan). I’ve had excellent service from Walther’s service.

·
Registered
9,341 Posts
Yes it is a Q with a aftermarket captured spring, Galloway.

May want to have them check the whole pistol. The week before, all was going fine and GB’s started getting stuck in the chamber and of course not extracting. We tried to push a new round in the chamber and it only went half way without a helping push. Ran a snake through it a couple of times (not a through cleaning) and it still occurred. He gave it a good cleaning and first set of mags went well then extraction problem. I know GB’s may not be the cleanest around, but we’ve shout hundreds or a few thousand rounds through it and zero (or at least a very small number) till now.

Wonder if the crack lead to the fouling as we don’t know exactly when it occurred, or did the fouling cause the crack...
My 2 cents is a broken slide probably didn't add to any chamber fouling.. If the pistol has worked fine for many shots then the chamber is likely fine....just dirty. A bore snake isn't good enough (as you said, not a thorough cleaning). Takes a brass brush and some scrubbing to get one properly clean. I find the chamber to be easily cleaned though. Not being able to easily place a round in the chamber is a clear sign that it is dirty. I've fired as many as 3,000 rounds of RGB's through a couple of P22s with no stoppages and no cleaning or lubricating. So they will run quite a while. I'd like to test Mini Mags and see how long a P22 would run until it stopped. I would likely be somewhere past 3K rounds. You need loaders when you do something like that....loading the mags 300 times gets old and makes your thumb sore. :p

I guess Walther has a lot invested in the manufacturing process of the zinc slide....but I'd sure like them to replace it with an aluminum one. Seems Ruger and Smith can produce theirs in aluminum and remain competitive. How many have they replaced....a lot. I've been reading about broken slides for over 18 years. My last correspondence with the Chief Engineer was that he was going to give thought to an aluminum slide. Guess they would have to beef up the recoil spring a bit with a lighter slide.

I called about a slide one time and they just sent it....didn't need to see the pistol. Got it in two days. 1917

·
Registered
15 Posts
CCI Mini Mags Model Number 0030 are the test cartridge for the P22Q. Take a look at the difference between the MiniMag 0030 and the Quiets.

Here are the specs from CCI for the 0030 Mini Mags:

Mini-Mag HV # 0030
CALIBER BULLET WEIGHT (GR) BULLET TYPE BOX COUNT
22 LR 40 CPRN 100

Velocity, ft/sec
MUZZLE 50 YARDS 75 YARDS 100 YARDS
1235 1092 1040 998

Energy, ft-lbs
135 106 96 88

Trajectory if sighted at 75 yards
25 YARDS 50 YARDS 75 YARDS 100 YARDS
0.7 1.3 0.0

The "Quiets" have this disclaimer on the CCI website:

Energy, ft-lbs
45 40 38 36

Trajectory if sighted at 50 yards
1.5 0.0 -6.4 -17.8
NOTES:
68 dB @ shooters ear

These cartridges may be used in semi-automatic firearms, however manual cycling of the action may be required.

The manufacturer's information above may explain why the Quiet will not cycle a P22Q slide and also why the 145 grain "Expert" may tend to damage that firearm.

·
Registered
15 Posts
CCI Mini Mags Model Number 0030 are the test cartridge for the P22Q. Take a look at the difference between the MiniMag 0030 and the Quiets.

Here are the specs from CCI for the 0030 Mini Mags:

Mini-Mag HV # 0030
CALIBER BULLET WEIGHT (GR) BULLET TYPE BOX COUNT
22 LR 40 CPRN 100

Velocity, ft/sec
1235 1092 1040 998

Energy, ft-lbs
135 106 96 88

Trajectory if sighted at 75 yards
0.7 1.3 0.0

The "Quiets" have this disclaimer on the CCI website:

Energy, ft-lbs
45 40 38 36

Trajectory if sighted at 50 yards
1.5 0.0 -6.4 -17.8
NOTES:
68 dB @ shooters ear

These cartridges may be used in semi-automatic firearms, however manual cycling of the action may be required.

The manufacturer's information above may explain why the Quiet will not cycle a P22Q slide and also why the 136 grain "xpert" may tend to damage that firearm.
Correcting my post from 145 grain Expert to read 136 grain xpert.

·
Registered
9,341 Posts
I'm unaware of any 136 gr .22 long rifle ammo. The velocity and energy specs are from rifle barrels. There is an interesting site....ballistics by the inch...that compares the velocity and energy of several common .22 ammunition brands including CCI, Rem, etc. and by barrel length. The P22 is one of the test pistols. The shorter the barrel the more velocity drops off as well as energy of course.

From experience I can tell you that some similarly marked boxes of .22 ammo with regard to velocity and energy are not equal at all out of 5" and shorter barrels. Yes the Quiets are slower and less noisy but all of them create permanent ear damaging noise out of short barrels. 1917

·
Registered
15 Posts
I'm unaware of any 136 gr .22 long rifle ammo. The velocity and energy specs are from rifle barrels. There is an interesting site....ballistics by the inch...that compares the velocity and energy of several common .22 ammunition brands including CCI, Rem, etc. and by barrel length. The P22 is one of the test pistols. The shorter the barrel the more velocity drops off as well as energy of course.

From experience I can tell you that some similarly marked boxes of .22 ammo with regard to velocity and energy are not equal at all out of 5" and shorter barrels. Yes the Quiets are slower and less noisy but all of them create permanent ear damaging noise out of short barrels. 1917
I have not heard of any 136 grain 22LR either. I was quoting the "136 grain" from post number 6 above by Josh Murphy. Maybe it should have been 36 grain instead of 136 grain.

"Mar 03, 2020 · #6
My pistol is a BD model i beleave that's the p22q it has the short barrel i was shooting winchester xpert 136 grain lead hollow points it has the old barrel and no new mainspring or hammer takedown lever not damaged the only mods I did to the pistol is remove the mag safety and polish the hammer and feed ramp and trigger bar ears i also tried some cci mini mags with the same results"

21 - 40 of 40 Posts