Walther Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I sent my 2016 P22 slide that cracked at left side of the ejection port, and the 3.4” barrel that the chamber was cut ruff and slightly off center to the bore with one one of the lands lead cut square that Walther is giving me grief about.

First. The slide which was in the same shipping box with the barrel, Walther Service claims the slide was not in the box. They found the “Cracked Slide Return” form which was in a yellow mailer envelope that I also had the slide. In the same shipping box was the barrel in a separate yellow mailer envelope which they did say was in the shipping box. I was on the phone with a Walther Service rep, and they insist that slide was not in the shipping box. I had shipped the slide and barrel with UPS, and insured it for both, but if I have to make a lost claim I envision a hassle because Walther will had claimed that they received the shipping box closed. It’s going to look like I’m trying to make a fraudulent claim. I know how all the shipping try not to pay out on lost shipping claims. Plus if UPS calls Walther Service, they’ll tell UPS the shipping box came closed and without the slide.

Second. The barrel has had a defect in the chamber were it was cut with a dull reamer and one of the lands lead is squared ended instead of ramped. Walther Service claimes they can not see the defect. I have shown the barrel to three separate friends who all saw the defect. I can not understand how Walther Service can not see it. They claim the their gunsmith looked at, and the service person I spoke to on phone who had it on his hand couldn’t see the defect, so they will not replace it. I’ve found the defect when I first brought it home after purchasing it new from Bass Pro back in May of 2016. I took it back to Bass Pro who told me I would have to take it up with Walther. I have just been procrastinating about sending to Walther.

This has me infuriated as to the total incompetence of Walther. I’m awaiting a call back from Walther on Monday with their service manager who’s name is Glen. This going to be one weekend of me being pissed off and having to wait for what I believe is going to a Monday made worse.

Has anyone here had a similar problem with Walther Service ?

Signed,
Pissed off

·
Registered
10,421 Posts
And where are the pictures....you are supposed to take pictures of the cracked slide and poorly machined barrel. Well, photographing internal barrel issues is a bit of a problem. All I can say is tell the truth and stick to it. Smith and Wesson does not want you putting their name on items shipped to them. How was this shipped that you can be assured the package wasn't opened and resealed.....if someone stole it...the joke is on them. It might work out easier than you think.....I don't think they have any barrels at present. Good luck with it. 1917

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Glen at Urmax/Walther called me Monday and asked what color slide I wanted as a replacement. He surmised that the slide was stolen in shipping and that the return form was in the shipping box. It was the person I spoke to last Friday who gave my the impression that they would not be replacing the slide because they claimed it wasn’t in the shipping box. Yes in hind sight I should had taken a picture of the cracked slide. My concern was that I would have to make a claim with UPS of which I paid for insurance on both slide and barrel, but I’ve had to deal with UPS twice before and they denied my claims and I had pay to repair the camera I shipped and they broke and another time a Leupold handgun scope I sent to Leupold for a modification and UPS claimed they delivered it to me alleging that I signed for it which was a flat out lie by who ever said it was delivered. In all, UPS has cost me about $650 with those claims. In this case with Walther, Fedex when I gave the shipping address they knew I was a firearms company and told they won’t ship firearms related items, and I don’t trust USPS because more packages are stolen from them then UPS, Fedex, and DHL combined.

I asked that the barrel to be re-evaluated again and explained as how to see the defect which is not obvious unless seen from a certain angle. I’ve tried to take a picture of the defect in the barrel with my cell phone, but to no avail. If the original barrel is sent back, I’ll find a local gunsmith with a bore scope and get a picture then.

·
Registered
10,421 Posts
Smith and Wesson doesn't want you putting their name on returned items that they pay to have shipped back. Everyone knows S&W means a firearm and they told me they have to hide the identity of what is being shipped. Thieves are rotten shame. Glen and I go back and forth from time to time. He is a nice guy. I'm thinking they are presently short on barrels though. 1917

·
Registered
10,421 Posts
If you can't get your barrel sorted I have one you can have. PM me your address if you are interested but ask FT Smith to sort it first. I'd like to see the problem barrel. Camera phones will take good photos. They just aren't quite as flexible as high end stuff. 1917

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I tried to take a picture of the buggered chamber, but my cell phone won’t focus that close.

I haven’t had any call back since talking to Glen last Monday. They do have 3.4” barrels in stock and was told that a new shipment of slides were do this Wednesday. I’m going to call tomorrow to find out about my barrel and ask that they put aside a slide for me if it hasn’t already been shipped out.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The thing that bothers me is both my parents were German born and moved here back 1954. My father was an engineer who taught me to appreciate finally crafted and well engineered mechanical devices. Even though I’m the first of my family to be born in the U.S., I always was impressed with German made firearms, and thought I was buying something of high German quality, it’s just not there with the P22.

A good friend back in the mid 1970s from high school had a Anschutz 22LR target rifle that he let me compete with that was a highly accurate functional piece of art. The StG 44 and MG 42 defined future military firearms, of which in the while in the U.S.Army stationed in Germany, I got to fire the MG 3 and MP 5 which the latter made me a fan of H&K firearms. So I could say I have an affinity for German made firearms.

This whole P22 affair has fostered a doubt in me with the Walther brand. What is now always going to be in the back of my mind is when is the replacement slide going break. The original slide only had fired 350 CCI Minimags, 200 Rem. Golden Bullets, and 100 Rem. Subsonic. (Subsonic fired with a friends SWR Warlock 22LR suppressor.) I disassemble the pistol ever 50 or so rounds fired and do a complete cleaning and re-greasing/oiling because I’m OCD about a clean and well lubricated firearm use Shooters Choice red grease for the slide and frame groves and rails, with Lucas synthetic oil for all pivoting parts.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The P22 slide needs a redesign in the area were the cracks form.
1-The boss for the steel pin to engage the slide stop is part of the problem.
2-The slide stop notch rear needs a more pronounced radius.
3-The slide need to be made from a more durable material like aluminum instead of a zinc alloy. (I suspect it’s cast with Zamak 4 or 5)

It’s only a matter of time before the back half of a slide breaks off and injures someone in their face.

·
Registered
347 Posts
The thing that bothers me is both my parents were German born and moved here back 1954. My father was an engineer who taught me to appreciate finally crafted and well engineered mechanical devices. Even though I’m the first of my family to be born in the U.S., I always was impressed with German made firearms, and thought I was buying something of high German quality, it’s just not there with the P22.

A good friend back in the mid 1970s from high school had a Anschutz 22LR target rifle that he let me compete with that was a highly accurate functional piece of art. The StG 44 and MG 42 defined future military firearms, of which in the while in the U.S.Army stationed in Germany, I got to fire the MG 3 and MP 5 which the latter made me a fan of H&K firearms. So I could say I have an affinity for German made firearms.

This whole P22 affair has fostered a doubt in me with the Walther brand. What is now always going to be in the back of my mind is when is the replacement slide going break. The original slide only had fired 350 CCI Minimags, 200 Rem. Golden Bullets, and 100 Rem. Subsonic. (Subsonic fired with a friends SWR Warlock 22LR suppressor.) I disassemble the pistol ever 50 or so rounds fired and do a complete cleaning and re-greasing/oiling because I’m OCD about a clean and well lubricated firearm use Shooters Choice red grease for the slide and frame groves and rails, with Lucas synthetic oil for all pivoting parts.
The P22, as well as the PPQ22, are both produced in Germany by Umarex - which isn't the same as Walther.

The PPQ22 is a step up in quality from the P22, having a machined aluminum slide instead of the P22's cast slide. Even though it looks almost identical to the PPQ 9mm, the quality of the PPQ22 is not the same.

Both were designed and manufactured to a fixed price point, and compromises were made to get there.

·
Premium Member
1,829 Posts
thought I was buying something of high German quality
Not everything made in Germany is good. I've never been impressed by GSG or J.P.Sauer.

This whole P22 affair has fostered a doubt in me with the Walther brand.
The Walther's made in Ulm are great. It's the Arnsberg guns that seem to have the most problem.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I can understand now why the P22 slide is cast with a zinc alloy, because as I been told that Umarex manufactures airsoft types of firearm replicas, which use a lot of zinc alloy parts, so they are set up for that type of casting. The steel parts such as the hammer, hammer strut, and sear are MIM. (Metal Injection Molding) What I don’t understand is why Walther is not willing to make the slide out of machined aluminum knowing that slides can break, and seem willing to allow for the potential of a lawsuit if a serious injury were to happen. The last time my P22 was shot, a friend’s ten year old son was shooting it. If it had completely broken in two and the back half of the slide flew back and hit him in the face and seriously injured him, it would have weighed heavily on me with his mother probably blaming me for it, and in all probability have a negative influence on his interest in shooting. His father many years ago had a Ruger Super Blackhawk blow up in his hands, which gave him a serious case of the fliches. It took he and I about a month of training to get him to not flinch.

If the Walther PPQ22 can have a slide made from aluminum, so can the P22. If it were to raise the retail price by $100.00 (U.S.), the pistol would be at the same price as the Ruger SR22 and the S&W M&P22. If the decision is to beat out sales of the Ruger and S&W offerings by offering an inferior product, then this is a company that I will never consider for any future purchases, new or used.

·
Registered
10,421 Posts
Umarex owns the Walther brand....or Walther might be history by now. The president of the Company stated at a SHOT show several years ago that the P22 outsells all other of their firearms put together. It was an original, now copied by Ruger and S&W in their own manner. A check of gun sites generally shows the pistol as sold out. So by all measures regarding and economic success...it meets them. I've had discussions with Arnsberg as far back as 15 or 16 years ago regarding trigger bar ears, extractors, aluminum slide, captive recoil spring, reprofile of the hammer face, etc. One answer to a small change added $5 to the cost of the pistol and was a no go according to the bean counters. I expect you can forget a $100 change.

I have no idea if the slide and frame alloy has been changed. I know the design of the slide has been changed. Has the alloy been made harder to reduce wear between the frame rails and slide??? I don't know. There are far fewer reports of broken slides than there once was. Of course we only get part of the story here. And yes....it is possible for the entire slide to crack into two parts which allows the slide to fly off the rear of the pistol. Compressing the recoil spring and cocking the hammer fortunately slows the rearward movement considerable but a few owners have said that the slide hit them. Umarex and Ft Smith have heard all of our complaints and recommendations.

But the pistol sells like hotcakes and as long as that is occurring I suppose changes will be slowly added. My last discussion with the chief engineer was in regard to an aluminum slide and captive recoil spring. We got the spring but there may be issues metallurgically between the zinc frame and aluminum slide. I don't know. But the head guys are aware of all of our concerns we have including options for aftermarket sights. Then again I purchased my last two for $225 ea. I won't pay $500 for the pistol. Walther makes better and more expensive pistols if you don't like their plinker version. I have several of the old steel .22s and don't find them any more fun to shoot....certainly not something you want to drill and file and experiment on.

I've fired the Ruger, it is ok but has issues too. I bought the Smith compact....it had issue and three trips to the factory couldn't resolve them so I gave it away. The P22 has a lifetime warranty....that is worth something...especially on a $225 pistol. 1917

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Just out of curiosity. Where did you see a price of $225.00 ? My purchase was a special sale price of $296.00 after sales tax. It did come with two magazines. One finger rest and one non finger rest of, but as a side note were I’ve been trying to find someone to trade my finger rest base for a flat base. After three months and no takers so far.

As for any concern of liability with the slide breaking and injuring someone. This reminds me of some liability issues with some of Ford’s car like the Pinto with gas tanks rupturing if rear ended, with the same problem with the Crown Vic, or the Firestone tire blowouts with Explorer, all of which Ford new about, but the bean counters and lawyers talked management out of costly fixes. I know this not a fair comparison, but imagine the cost of plastic surgery to repair a lacerated lip, broken nose or nocked out front teeth. Like I’ve stated before that my confidence in this pistol has been diminished not knowing when the replacement slide will break. Nothings worse then the dubious knowledge that a firearm will fail.

·
Registered
10,421 Posts
On line, KY Gun Co has sales from time to time.....don't look for sales at this time though. I ordered a SilencerCo SS Sparrow suppressor from them for $229 and the dealer here who handled the class three transaction got a copy of the receipt...wanted to know how I got it at that price. Said he can't get them for that price from the manufacturer. Was on sale I told him....missed them the first time around...got on the list for if they showed up again. Sure enough, a week later they got more in and I ordered one immediately. Same for P22. Bought a Smith Shield for $225 from them. One afternoon they had the .45 model on sale for $225. Man, I'm going to order one in the morning.....all sold by then and they have never had them on sale like that since. I've caught sales at Whittaker, etc.

I might have some flat bases....I'll look. 1917

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Called Walther this morning and spoke to one of the service people to ask about the disposition of my slide and barrel. Was told that slides came in last week, but the new style captured recoil springs came in yesterday so they are shipping them out to me and other customers. When I asked about my barrel, I was told that the same gunsmith inspected it again and found no defect. I can not believe that they can’t see the defect. This is astonishing no one there can see that the lead end of one of the lands is cut square when three of my friends could see it. If I still had all my photography equipment, I know I could get a photo of it with a macro lens. Plus if it was inspected with a bore scope it surely would be visible. I use a 8” brass bore cleaning rod which without anything attached to the end, I can catch it on the end of the one land. The other lands look correct. It’s just that one land.

I feel that I’m dealing with blind idiots. This really has gotten under my skin. It’s like buying a new car with a mechanical noise that every time it’s brought back the car deal the mechanics can never hear the noise. I use that analogy because I had that problem once with a nee car. All I know is that I will never again purchase any new or used Walther product.

One more thing. When I called about my slide and barrel last week and asked about the barrel and was told that the gunsmiths had not reinspected it, I asked how many returns do the gunsmiths service per week and was told between 40 to 50. That seems like an awful lot. Maybe the new owners of Walther are just a bunch of bean counters who are more worried about quantity over quality. Thats what drove Remington to bankruptcy. As for the barrel, when I have the spare money, I’ll purchase another barrel and sell the defective one to Numrich to recoup some of the money.

If you do locate a flat floor plate, send a PM to make trade.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts