Walther Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was shooting a video to ompare 3.42" P22Q IL vs 5" P22QIL Target .

shooting at 25 metres, since the shops had run out of 22lr pistol ammunition I used rifle 22lr high velocity RWS.

the 5" target conversion shoot all 10 rounds without any problems and had a good grouping.

The 3.42" regular barrel had an exploded round and failed to recycle some rounds.

When it explode half of the slide from the back-left was twisted up the bridge and the rest was attached inside the bridge. The slider twisted like a towel without breaking I was amazed by the flexible alloy and tolerance of the barrel.

Enjoy!

Watch "Walther P22 Q 5" Target vs Standard P22 "exploded"" on YouTube
Walther P22 Q 5" Target vs Standard P22 "exploded":

·
Registered
9,831 Posts
Alansari a few comments if you don't mine. #1, always, always, always wear eye protection when firing a firearm. Pistol or rifle. This is just the type of scenerio where a piece of brass or slide material could hit you in the eye. After a malfunction I notice you place you hand in front of the muzzle before determining exaclty what is wrong. Keep you hand away from the front of the muzzle at all times until the pistol has been rendered safe.

You have some bad ammo and should stop shooting it immediately. I would contact the manufacturer and give them the lot number. The should want it back for testing and replace it with new ammo for you. In any event stop firing it immediately. Once you have an event like this the pistol needs to be very carefully checked to see that nothing has been damaged. The zinc alloy slide on the P22 is very thin and cracks easily from this type of cartridge burst. A crack in the slide might be hard to notice without a very careful inspection under good light. To continue to fire is unsafe. You cannot replace an eye.

Your shooting is very good and accurate. Much better than my efforts at that distance. It would be expected that the shorter barrel would not fare as well especially after blowing up. Thanks for posting, there are some good lessons there and it is pretty rare to have a good video of a rim blowout. Even .22 ammo has high chamber pressures. Crete had almost exactly the same rim blowout with I believe Remington ammo. His slide was destroyed immediately. Thanks for posting. Very nice range. M1911

·
Registered
9,831 Posts
I would also suggest that the cast zinc slide is not a bit flexible. I find them to be very stiff and if blown off the rails I would expect damage. It appears that your later rounds are either weak rounds not capable of cycling the slide or the pistol is damaged. You are correct in your assemssment of bad ammunition. Glad you were not injured. M1911

Your ammo has a muzzle velocity of 1,080 fps. Less out of a short barrel. That should be completely safe in a P22. You have a box of bad ammo. I'm seeing different muzzle velocities for this ammo. 1,310 fps and 1,250 fps. at various sites. Regardless the velocity and energy will be less out of the short barrel and should be completely safe in your pistol with a properly functioning round.

·
Registered
9,831 Posts
Crete's recent post regarding a bad round. That blowout looks just like yours, but take a look at what it did to the slide. Fortunately Crete wasn't injured.

After you have any such accident, .22 or otherwise you must stop, take a moment, calm down, unload the pistol and have a really good look at your pistol. Did the round exit the muzzle or is it still in there? If I were to give my pistol a quick look over, think it ok and load another round I might have an even larger problem and injury. Even .22s are pretty powerful.

I think I heard you say in the video that your friends were having some of the same blowout issues with that ammo. Time to send it back...unfortunately bad ammunition can be found from time to time in all .22 ammo. I think Crete's was Remington. Here is to safe shooting and good ammo in the future. M1911

·
Registered
913 Posts
Indeed, like 1917-1911M said, I had two (2) LRs blown off; first a rim was punctured and as the next in line loaded LR was still in the magazine well, it received the blow and detonated its powder as well smashing the slide (pictured). The ammo was S&B HV.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Since the new slide, I just have not seen any failures. All the slide problems seem to be with the old slides that were thinner with serrations that were just begging to crack, but now I don't see that happening. The only problem I have seen with the new slide is the issue of more weight, which sometimes, with ammo loads on the verge of being below high velocity may fail to cycle the slide, but anything that does 1280 with a decent material works very well.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Try the 5" barrel extension it will give more "push" to recycle. I've tried it and I had no issues firing low pressure ammunition except for one German brand that I don't remember it but it has a red box with a man holding a competition rifle. Otherwise all ammunition that used to fail are working fine right now.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts